USB input and MacBook Pro - worked previously but now now no sound

• Hi all,

I'm having problem with the USB input from the powered rack. I updated both rig manager and the rack today which was fine, the USB input appeared in the list of inputs and worked fine. Sounded great straight off the bat. I played for a while and then had a break for a couple of hours.

When I switched on again tonight I'm getting no sound. Rig manager is connected and working fine, I'm getting a good input signal into the Mac (I can see it) but I can't hear anything. Ive watched the USB Recording Tutorial by Thomas Dill, restarted a few times and followed my procedure from the first time it worked.

Am I missing something here? I've tried switching various things with output settingsetc. but still no joy.

I'm using a Focusrite Saffire 6USB 2.0 and a powered USB hub. The Focusrite is working for everything else.

Can anyone help here please?

Many thanks!

• Thanks for the replies.

I think this is mainly my system not doing what was expected and also me forgetting the software and live monitoring options at that point. The USB signal wasn't working the first time. Main audio outputs of the Kemper were still going through the focusrite (albeit the gains were all the way down) and that was what I was hearing. I then unplugged the cables after I played for a while, resulting in massive confusion when I tried it again.

I assumed the USB signal would be audible though my Mac via software monitoring but I guess you can only do that through Logic. I'm currently on my business computer so going to move over to my studio side and try it all in there through Logic.

I was hoping there was a way to monitor the USB input through Mac OS though without having to use GarageBand or something like that.

• You could monitor the incoming USB audio using Quicktime (included with macOS) and 'New Audio Recording'. This lets you record to stereo and/or monitor. Presumably this is so you can play along to something in Apple Music or similar, otherwise I'm not sure what it nets you over monitoring from the Kemper direct. You can switch this around of course; computer out over USB to Kemper, to blend with your guitar signal. That might be preferable if you are experiencing latency monitoring through macOS.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan