Panorama bug? Unequal left-right main output problem

• I've had a problem with unequal left-right output on my Profiler Rack's main XLR3 connectors for literally years. It's remained a problem across many versions of the Profiler OS, with dozens of rigs, with different effects in all the slots.

Tonight I spun a rig's Panorama setting from 0 to -5 to 5 and back to 0. The problem was gone from all rigs. I power-cycled the Profiler. I went back and forth from browse to perform modes. The problem remained gone.

Is anyone having a similar experience?

Is this a Panorama bug?

• Update

I've just checked my levels and they are currently OK anyway.

I don't know if a recent update fixed the issue or something else I did fixed it.

I run mono most of the time anyway so haven't been paying much attention to this issue as it really didn't cause me any inconvenience.

I switched my main outputs back to Master Stereo just now to check this so maybe just witching from stereo to mono and back was the thing that fixed it. Basically, I don't have enough data to know what caused it but will keep an eye on the levels for a while and see if I can find some way to replicate the problem that might allow me to apply some actual systematic fault finding. For now everything is working fine though.

• Official Post

This might be hardware related. If Panorama is neutral, both should have equal levels. Software has no other influence. I'm afraid one of your outputs is broken since years.

• This might be hardware related. If Panorama is neutral, both should have equal levels. Software has no other influence. I'm afraid one of your outputs is broken since years.

Thank you for your input. It's interesting that simply adjusting the Panorama knob on one rig seemed to fix the imbalance across all rigs without any other changes. I'm curious if this action inadvertently triggered a system-wide adjustment or if a broader software aspect is involved. Your continued input on this would be appreciated.

• There is no global software switch that could get screwed. The hardware issue can fluctuate, perhaps related to temperature.

A fair premise.

My Profiler Rack has sat in the same 73F room for a week.

In 2020, another Kemper user reported the same problem and solution:
    RE: Right side is louder than the left side .!!!

There was another report on the problem in 2016, but the topic remains unresolved:
    Left and right are not balanced!

• Yes, out of the many units we sold, we have had this hardware issue before. If you don't want to get this repaired, the issue will stay.

Thank you for your willingness to discuss this!

I appreciate that a hardware problem could be resolved by adjusting a controlling parameter to both extremes and returning it to the desired middle setting.

The problem is gone and shows no signs of returning. Yet it's been only 12 hours and five power cycles. I'm watching closely.

Since you've seen this issue before, have others sent their Profilers for repair? If so, would you be willing to share the user-reported problem, the bench diagnosis, and the solution?

Edited once, last by timtrace ().

• I remember that C. Kemper sayed in one post, that volume of the two channels is different, if someone uses the Double Tracker. I never understood why this is neccessary, but in all of my units (Toaster, Stage) the channel volumes of left and right are different if I use the Double Tracker. Me and most mixer guys didn't find that good while the use on stage.
    :/

• I remember that C. Kemper sayed in one post, that volume of the two channels is different, if someone uses the Double Tracker. I never understood why this is neccessary, but in all of my units (Toaster, Stage) the channel volumes of left and right are different if I use the Double Tracker. Me and most mixer guys didn't find that good while the use on stage.

Thanks! There is no double-tracker in use here, but I see how it could have the effect you've described.

I never use double tracker either so it isn’t a contributing factor in my scenario.

• A little over 90 days later, the problem with unequal volume on the main left-right outputs on my Kemper Profiler has reappeared and will not go away.

Parker at Kemper Service says it sounds like a replacement analog board is in order.

Repairing my Kemper Profiler will cost $220 plus one-way shipping and cause 1-2 weeks of downtime.

Sure, the downtime's a bummer, but what can you do? Kemper Profilers aren't being repaired on every street corner, and in fairness neither are Bad Cats and Tone Kings /shrug

I suppose when the time comes, I'll rack up my trusty old Line 6 Pod Pro and carry on for a weekend or two in nostalgiac glory :)

For now, I'll run my Kemper Profiler in mono from the hotter output. If I need to be heard in stereo, I'll tell the engineers to twist the pan knob toward the weaker side, or I can use the fully functional 1/4" main outputs into a DI.