Player with MIDI footswitches

• Official Post

Do you have any other MIDI device as a reference to test with, other than that Ampero product? I try to avoid, that the Kemper staff is busy chasing a 3rd party issue.

The Rig Up/Down function does exist for external switches.

Functions like Slot 4 and Slot 5 would be very limiting. You can just toggle between two Slots. But these exist for internal switches. Perhaps you can use those for that purpose and leave the external to switch effects.

• Do you have any other MIDI device as a reference to test with, other than that Ampero product? I try to avoid, that the Kemper staff is busy chasing a 3rd party issue.

The Rig Up/Down function does exist for external switches.

Functions like Slot 4 and Slot 5 would be very limiting. You can just toggle between two Slots. But these exist for internal switches. Perhaps you can use those for that purpose and leave the external to switch effects.

I unfortunatally dont have any other Midi Device but I heard that the Amero Control should work with the older Kemper units. I will see if I can find one to borrow for testing.

The external Switch options available for the Kemper Player does not fulfill my needs unfortunately.

I need a small Midi controller in the same format with 2-4 buttons like the Ampero Control. Can you advice me to buy one similar controller that works with my Player?

I know about Morningstar MC6 Pro but it has wrong format size for me.

• Might try the Tech21 Midi Mongoose with a MIDI-USB-A cable. The Mongoose it one of the slimmest footswitches around, that's why I got it, but looks like it doesn't work with my MIDI cable, as I stated in the initial post. Need to try another adapter cable.

Yes, I do believe that the KPA cured my GAS.

• Official Post

Head, Rack, and Stage models don't support USB host yet. So connecting your Ampero via USB cable to their USB A sockets won't work.

Connecting it via classical 5-pin MIDI cables will work. That has been functional all the time.

And I understood, that your Ampero also worked when you connected its 5-pin sockets via a USB-MIDI adapter to the USB-A socket of the Player, correct?

So I don't think, that gets us any further.

• Head, Rack, and Stage models don't support USB host yet. So connecting your Ampero via USB cable to their USB A sockets won't work.

Connecting it via classical 5-pin MIDI cables will work. That has been functional all the time.

And I understood, that your Ampero also worked when you connected its 5-pin sockets via a USB-MIDI adapter to the USB-A socket of the Player, correct?

So I don't think, that gets us any further.

I dont have a Midi to USB adapter so I do not know if that would work.

Yes! I give up...

• Official Post

Our engineering has acquired an Ampero Control and researched it with a USB analyzer. According to their findings that 3rd party product - at least our unit - produces lots of electrical failures on the USB bus and therefor the Player doesn't work with it.

The Player is in line with standards and works with devices that do the same as a USB host (USB A) as well as a USB client (USB B).

It should be possible to use the Ampero with an external power supply and feed MIDI from its MIDI OUT through a MIDI USB interface.

• Our engineering has acquired an Ampero Control and researched it with a USB analyzer. According to their findings that 3rd party product - at least our unit - produces lots of electrical failures on the USB bus and therefor the Player doesn't work with it.

The Player is in line with standards and works with devices that do the same as a USB host (USB A) as well as a USB client (USB B).

It should be possible to use the Ampero with an external power supply and feed MIDI from its MIDI OUT through a MIDI USB interface.

Could you do the same for Airstep?

Edited once, last by Arek77 ().

• Official Post

We cannot certify all foot controllers out there. And then you still don't know, if a 3rd product acquired this year uses the same firmware and chip set as last year. I guess, that's what we have standards for. But perhaps somebody here in this forum owns an Airstep and can check it out:-)

• Well guys, the Morningstar MC8 arrived yesterday and it works flawlessly, well worth its value. Currently experimenting with PC# and creating my setup.

Wonder if the future firmware update will feature a Cab Off option for the main out, that would be truly neat, at least from my standpoint. That is being able to send a CabOff signal to the amp on stage and Monitor Out L-R CabOn to the FOH.

Also, now that the Players are here, we're already experimenting with downsizing in prospect of a 3-week EU tour this fall. Would be really neat to go from a 14U+ a 10U + an 8U racks to just one :)))

• Well guys, the Morningstar MC8 arrived yesterday and it works flawlessly, well worth its value. Currently experimenting with PC# and creating my setup.

Wonder if the future firmware update will feature a Cab Off option for the main out, that would be truly neat, at least from my standpoint. That is being able to send a CabOff signal to the amp on stage and Monitor Out L-R CabOn to the FOH.

Congratulations crivat, for your finally working MIDI setup. And yes, I also would very much appreciate the Cab Off option for the main out. Although I must say, I often hook up my Power Toaster with the speaker of my small tweed and I leave the cab function always on, sounds better to me than without, strange but true.

• Congratulations crivat, for your finally working MIDI setup. And yes, I also would very much appreciate the Cab Off option for the main out. Although I must say, I often hook up my Power Toaster with the speaker of my small tweed and I leave the cab function always on, sounds better to me than without, strange but true.

BAck in the day I also had Cabsim On rigs that sounded very good though one of my 412 cabs; even if this idea is regarded as weird, to say the least, in the end it's all about the sound and not about the method. That's one valuable lesson I learned from Dan Swano, with whom I did three albums. If it sounds good - it's good. Now, being able to replicate a certain solution that sounds good is an altogether different discussion. ckemper , please bring Cabsim Off to Main Out and maybe different Cabsim On/Off options for L & R on Monitor Out :D

• Up to now you cannot specify the receiving MIDI channel of the Player. But this should never cause the Player not to excute MIDI comands. It only causes, that it is executing comands on all 16 MIDI channels ("Omni"). This feature is planned for the next Player OS revision.

Edited once, last by stratobobster: Just want to emphasize the importance of this feature (assigning a specific MIDI channel to the Player). I have a pedal board with a Morningstar MC6 and several MIDI-controlled pedals (each on its own channel). It all works great with my Kemper Stage, but my plan had been to add my Player to the pedal board as soon as it arrives in mid-February. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be possible with the Player receiving MIDI messages on all channels. ().

• I got my Airstep Multi Controller working with my Player with the USB C on the Airstep going into USB B on the Player. I've tried the KPA preset in the Airstep app and changing rig works fine but I seem to have an issue with going up and down banks with long presses of the first two footswitches - it just keeps cycling through the banks continuously. Possibly a programming issue and I need to spend some more time with it. I programmed my own presets with functions to toggle effects on or off which works well

Haven't tried an expression pedal through the Airstep yet

edit: I got the Bank up/down working in the KPA preset - had to change the long press CC value to 0 instead of 1. Works nicely

Edited 2 times, last by jonded ().