Posts by crivat

For me, playing straight-up metal, the 4 blocks in the Player seem to do the job of acting as a back-up unit or even gigging live with the "miniKemper". Understandably, it's not the case for other players with more sophisticated tone-shaping needs, but again, with very high expectations it's rather easy to be disappointed.

Congratulations crivat, for your finally working MIDI setup. And yes, I also would very much appreciate the Cab Off option for the main out. Although I must say, I often hook up my Power Toaster with the speaker of my small tweed and I leave the cab function always on, sounds better to me than without, strange but true.

BAck in the day I also had Cabsim On rigs that sounded very good though one of my 412 cabs; even if this idea is regarded as weird, to say the least, in the end it's all about the sound and not about the method. That's one valuable lesson I learned from Dan Swano, with whom I did three albums. If it sounds good - it's good. Now, being able to replicate a certain solution that sounds good is an altogether different discussion. ckemper , please bring Cabsim Off to Main Out and maybe different Cabsim On/Off options for L & R on Monitor Out :D

I've been using the HX Stomp and XL live for years several times a week. Scenes work perfectly.

Glad to see you're happy with scenes, I wasn't. Maybe I am a bit oldschool, I just need my patches directly accessible because I often jump between them and I need a very clean, visual workflow, that's why I am so happy with the KPA and the Remote. I got the HX for fly-in gigs and still needed a solid MIDI controller with plenty of programmability. Cue in the lag and add it to changing the platform... hence switching to the Player. Currently working on downsizing the racks for this fall's tour, just to see if this works.

HX Stomp isn't missing any effects. This thing is. No comparison.

Returned my HX Stomp XL after a week. Unusable because of the lag between presets. And no, snapshots are not cool: if a unit has such lag between presets, it's a no-no, at least for me. The Player controlled with a Morningstar MC8 nails it.

A Cabinet Off option for the Main Out would be indeed a very neat thing. My current setup with the KPA is to send stereo Main Out with CabSim to the FOH, and have it returned as a Stereo feed to my IEM, but I always use the Power Out into a 212 Engl Pro on stage as a failsafe solution in case my IEMs die or the FOH guy fucks up my monitor mix so badly I have to take my headphones off.

On the other hand, I am considering a Y-cable from Headphones Out into a stereo DI to go to FOH and a mono Monitor Out to feed the amp and cabinet onstage.

Nevertheless, CabOff option on Main Out and possibly routing a stereo signal to that XLR would be amazing, and presumably very easy to program into a future firmware upgrade ckemper . I am confident the Player hardware allows this tiny extra bit of code :)

Well guys, the Morningstar MC8 arrived yesterday and it works flawlessly, well worth its value. Currently experimenting with PC# and creating my setup.

Wonder if the future firmware update will feature a Cab Off option for the main out, that would be truly neat, at least from my standpoint. That is being able to send a CabOff signal to the amp on stage and Monitor Out L-R CabOn to the FOH.

Also, now that the Players are here, we're already experimenting with downsizing in prospect of a 3-week EU tour this fall. Would be really neat to go from a 14U+ a 10U + an 8U racks to just one :)))

tbh I feel like I got robbed after noticing that . if either the hx stomp or Tonex pedal had the ability to control the monitor volume independently this kpp would have went back the same day .

mistaking the cheaper kemper for a full-fledged unit is a move many have done already. i read the manual the night they released it, twice, decided to get one for a slightly reduced FX capability but still 80% (the Pareto rule) of my sound for fly-in shows, now, i am delving into the serious midi possibilities and things look bright, especially with the prospect of paid software upgrades. nevertheless, the player is a mighty tool, and it can still sound amazing, provided you don't need the full capabilities of the kpa platform. different tools for different jobs, no trick involved.

had no less than 4 AXEFXs, one of the first KPAs sold by thomann (sent it back based on lag-related issues,) currently entering my 10th year of playing KPA on tour, owning 3 KPAs, 2 players and 2 remotes. fucking flawless. just sent a hx stomp xl back to muziker because of un-usability caused by lag between patches. and no, snapshots don't cut it for me :) and no, the tonex can't rival the player, unless you carry a rather large pedalboard. which is a no-go on fly-ins. been there, done that :D

Might try the Tech21 Midi Mongoose with a MIDI-USB-A cable. The Mongoose it one of the slimmest footswitches around, that's why I got it, but looks like it doesn't work with my MIDI cable, as I stated in the initial post. Need to try another adapter cable.

Regarding the use of the Effect Buttons I-IIII .... In principle, these are the same buttons, that the Remote and Stage offer. However, while these are physcial buttons at the Remote/Stage here these are virtual nodes, that could be assigned to the Player's footswitches OR triggered via MIDI CC# 75-78.

By default the Player's FS 2 in the middle is configured as Effect Button I. You could for example assign module DLY with a Phaser in your Rig "Drive" and assign module B with a Flanger in Rig "Power Drive" to Effect Button I and use FS 2 to switch those on and off. You could even assign more effect modules by Rig (up to four) so that multiple effects switch on/off simultaneously or inversly.

The other thing is: Your intended setup seems quite complicated and expensive. For example a Behringer FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper plus a MIDI-USB adapter is way cheaper and offers more functionality. Uno4Kemper chiptuning is not yet ready to send CC# 75-78 yet. But you could assign buttons in its upper row to effect modules A, B, DLY, REV,... individually and switch each of those modules in each Rig. I guess, there is a more cost-effective overall sotution for what you are trying to achieve.

I have a Morningstar MC8 on the way, bought cheap in the US. Since it runs PC and CC via USB-B, it might be a plug and play solution for the Player, and yes, two of the buttons on the Player would solve the "stompbox problem". I used the FCB1010 extensively with the Kemper and AXE units, but eventually went over to the Kemper Remote which is a beast. However, the FCB is not backpack-friendly when it comes to fly-in shows, so here's why I am eyeing the MC8. The MC8 and the Player easily fit in my carry-on or even inside my Enki flightcase (albeit in danger of being lost together with the guitars in airports, hahaha).

Will come with an update as soon as the Morningstar arrives from the US. Thank you for your valuable insight!

Thank you for your answer, Burkhard. So far I've connected one of the MIDI footswitches around i.e. the Midi Mongoose, to the Player using a regular 5-pin MIDI cable running into Input A of a Midiman, as in the photo below. From the Midiman, a regular USB A-to-B cable goes intro the Player, and everything works seamlessly. I was exceedingly happy to see there was no lag switching between rigs, just like on the rest of my KPAs. Congratulations to Kemper for this lagless switching! (this lag, btw, was the reason I retuned a HX Stomp XL last month).

Now, obviously, the Mongoose only transmits via Channel 1 and can't be programmed for CC#, so it's a fair solution for simple switching rigs 1 to 5 during a live show. Anyway, I've been using 5 presets for my shows for ages now, so there's no issue here. However, on my preset 2 (Drive I call it), I sometimes morph in a phaser, whereas on my preset 3 (Power Drive I call it), i sometimes use "stompbox III" with a flanger.

I know there is no morph right now on the Player, but the manual specifies CC numbers for "node effect I through IIII". I wonder whether I could access I to IIII with a Morningstar MC6/ MC8 MIDI footswitch, by programming some of the buttons to send the specific CC# to the Player. Needless to say that the Morningstar has a USB-B port and this means it should be plug-and-play with the Player, without the intermediate gear, the Midiman.

Hi crivat, do you happen to know how to correctly turn off the Player? Couldn't find anything about that in the manual. Is it donbe merely by unplugging/turning off the power supply?

Looks like that.plenty of other gear works the same way. I guess that's why "always make sure to save the rig" pops up pretty much everywhere :)

It depends on the Midi-Device you use - I tested the Moongoose successful with a Swissonic Midicable and also with a Kenton Midi USB Host connected to the USB B port

Will try again with the same cable AND a MidiMan converter, then gonna get another MIDI -USB cable to test it. So far nothing works, even though the Tech21 Mongoose works perfectly with my rack Kemper...

Hi there. Since I already spent some time on the forum without finding a specific thread (correct me if I am wrong) I thought of creating a new thread dedicated to external control options for the Player. First of all, I already enjoy playing powered toasters (with remotes) in my band since 10 years ago, plus a non-powered rack at home, with a variety of midi footswitches. Now that I finally got my Player, I am exploring the same MIDI control options as we plan to use them as a more convenient fly-in solution.

I connected my Tech 21 Midi Mongoose to the Player using the first rendition of the ESI MIDI-USB cable, previously tested for functionality with a midi keyboard. The Mongoose only transmits PC via Channel 1, but since the Player is set to Omni, this should not be a problem. However, pressing a button on the Mongoose did not change a rig on the Player. I perused the manual but it did not contain any specific info on how to hook up and set up external MIDI controllers with the Player. Nor did I find any MIDI-related setting on the Player and in the Rig Manager.

It's possible that I may have missed something, possibly something quite obvious, even, so that's why I am looking for advice here :) It looks like we're going the Morningstar MC8 way, which seems to be able to replicate as much as possible from what the Remote offers, plus the addition of Exp Pedals. I know that the MC8 is a very capable and highly-customizable unit, so I have little concern about what it can do.

However, until it arrives, I'd still be willing to see if the Player changes rigs with an ordinary MIDI footswitch hooked up to a casual MIDI > USB-A cable.

Thanks!

Hi there. Since I already spent some time on the forum without finding a specific thread (correct me if I am wrong) I thought of creating a new thread dedicated to external control options for the Player. First of all, I already enjoy playing powered toasters (with remotes) in my band since 10 years ago, plus a non-powered rack at home, with a variety of midi footswitches. Now that I finally got my Player, I am exploring the same MIDI control options as we plan to use them as a more convenient fly-in solution.

I connected my Tech 21 Midi Mongoose to the Player using the first rendition of the ESI MIDI-USB cable, previously tested for functionality with a midi keyboard. The Mongoose only transmits PC via Channel 1, but since the Player is set to Omni, this should not be a problem. However, pressing a button on the Mongoose did not change a rig on the Player. I perused the manual but it did not contain any specific info on how to hook up and set up external MIDI controllers with the Player. Nor did I find any MIDI-related setting on the Player and in the Rig Manager.

It's possible that I may have missed something, possibly something quite obvious, even, so that's why I am looking for advice here :) It looks like we're going the Morningstar MC8 way, which seems to be able to replicate as much as possible from what the Remote offers, plus the addition of Exp Pedals. I know that the MC8 is a very capable and highly-customizable unit, so I have little concern about what it can do.

However, until it arrives, I'd still be willing to see if the Player changes rigs with an ordinary MIDI footswitch hooked up to a casual MIDI > USB-A cable.

Thanks!

We would charge for rising the Player to a different level. And it would be one different level only, lifting it into a different product category. Free of hazzle.

But this would not cut the Player off from the free feature updates that we have pioneered back in 1998 (Access Virus Synthesizers)

There is free feature updates in the works where both levels would benefit.

Christoph, one question, as the manual is still somewhat lacking in detailed explanation. So we have A/B in pre-stack and Del/Rev in post. I-IIII will be accessible via CC# with an external controller?

My understanding is that the morph function isn't available via MIDI on the Player, but I hope I'm wrong about that!

Morphing is an implementation of CC# in the Kemper ecosystem. Instead of the morphing time you set up (either second- or signature-/tempo-based changes), like you'd set up your KPA to perform (mine is almost instantaneous), you can send CC via MIDI with an external pedal hooked up to a programmable MIDI footswitch (such as a Morningstar, Behringer FCB1010, Roland FC300 and so many more.) The Tech21 Midi Mongoose can only send PC messages via Midi Channel 1, but has 2 CC jacks for pedals. And is affordable. That is if you can avoid stepping on two buttons at a time and therefore "jump" either 5 or 10 banks up or down :)))

I love the size of this for traveling.

I am a bass player and want to use an SVT cabinet so I would need it powered. Is there a small power amp that I could use to power the cab?

Orange Pedal Baby is an amazing piece of gear. Same power section as the Super Crush 100 I recently got for home (don't ask why). But if my band's live righs can sound 80% like the ones in our powered toasters we've been touring with since 9 years ago (the Pareto law), we might switch to Players and Pedal Babies in our racks. Much easier to tear down for fly-ins. Albeit Orange's 100W might not be enough for bass :( You could also try some TC poweramps or the small Trace Eliotts.