Profiler Player - Backup on USB Stick

• It's the simplest thing in the world: Take any off the shelf USB stick and plug it into the Player while it is running and it's ready to be used.

Then this is not sooo clear in the manual for a Kemper Noob like me. That "Take any off the shelf USB stick and plug it into the Player while it is running and it's ready to be used." should be included into the Player Backup section in the manual. Just for some dummies like me ;)

• Then this is not sooo clear in the manual for a Kemper Noob like me. That "Take any off the shelf USB stick and plug it into the Player while it is running and it's ready to be used." should be included into the Player Backup section in the manual. Just for some dummies like me ;)

I agree. Having never owned a Kemper before, I had no clue. Will try this tonight.

• Confirmed that this is what the issue was. Now four out of my five USB sticks work (using the method above to get the stock ready). I wish the documentation would have been better. It would have saved us all a lot of time and aggravation.

• Is it just me - or is anyone else still having problems with USB sticks? I have found just one that works (out of many) - it's so old the rubber around it has decomposed and become sticky - I can't use this with my shiny new Kemper Profiler Player! Even brand new Sandisk Ultra 32GB from amazon don't work for me (same brand as thomann sells for the Kemper). Any more clues please?

• Is it just me - or is anyone else still having problems with USB sticks? I have found just one that works (out of many) - it's so old the rubber around it has decomposed and become sticky - I can't use this with my shiny new Kemper Profiler Player! Even brand new Sandisk Ultra 32GB from amazon don't work for me (same brand as thomann sells for the Kemper). Any more clues please?

Have you tried the long Format (untick the quick format box) on a PC or laptop? make sure you have it set to Format as FAT32

• Have you tried the long Format (untick the quick format box) on a PC or laptop? make sure you have it set to Format as FAT32

Thanks Justin - yes! The very long, very slow (overnight even!) maximum security FAT32 format setting on my Mac Studio was the ONLY way I got the sticky USB stick to work with the Kemper Profiler Player. But it only worked on that one stick, not 7 other USB sticks I've tried - including brand new ones. This has got to be a bug surely?

• USB A output may be the culprit here.

Users are reporting problems connecting USB sticks and some MIDI devices.

Could that be fixed by firmware?

Similar thing was/is happening with Stage. Some USB connections did not work reliably.

• I just got my player and ran into the same USB stick backup issue with red blinking LED blocks.

I put the stick out of the player, put it directly into the stage, confirmed the formatting ..... put it back to the Player ....

And now all works fine and I can do a Backup!

PS: Same USB stick without any change between the exchange"

• Official Post

New sticks need to be prepared by the PROFILER. The PROFILER is creating three folders Backups, OS Update, and Shared. This only works while the PROFILER is up and running. This applies to any model including Stage and Player. So, if you plugged the new stick into the Player while it was off, and then started the backup process, this won't succeed. The stick needs to be plugged into the up and running Player once before, to get orderly prepared.

• New sticks need to be prepared by the PROFILER. The PROFILER is creating three folders Backups, OS Update, and Shared. This only works while the PROFILER is up and running. This applies to any model including Stage and Player. So, if you plugged the new stick into the Player while it was off, and then started the backup process, this won't succeed. The stick needs to be plugged into the up and running Player once before, to get orderly prepared.

This exactly what I did ! But it did NOT work, it cannot be prepared by the Profiler Player.

As I said, the exactly same stick, without changing anything, can be prepared by the Profiler Stage properly.

And as expected then the stock works also for the player.

• Official Post

If your statement would be true, all Player users out there, which don't own another PROFILER model, could not perform any USB transaction.

I - again - formatted a USB stick with FAT32 on my PC.

Afterwrads the stick was empty.

I plugged the stick into the Player which was up and running.

After a few seconds I pulled the stick and plugged it back into my PC. Here are the three folders Backups, OS Update and Shared. Yes, the Player does the job obviously!

I then plugged it again into the Player, pulled the power cable, pressed BANK button and plugged power cable back in.

The LEDs reflect the progress of the backup creation.

Afterwards I find the backup in the folder Backups on my USB stick.

Everbody can reproduce this easily.

• AT least for my 2 USB sticks I tried , its true. I have no reason to tell wrong stories.
    Maybe my USB sticks are bad.

I formatted the sticks on a Mac with FAT32, may this can be a reason.

• Finally I got it working and find out what was the reason why it*s not working as expected.

Two of my USB sticks were really bad, too much bad sectors and therefore too view space on them so that they were formatted with FAT16 ....

I have no idea why the Profiler Stage was able to handle this sticks.

Another MacOS special:

When formatting an USB stick on Mac with FAT32 , the schema MUST be "Master Boot Record" ( NOT GUID-Partitiontable )

• Lots of questions-

Can the Burkhard please explain the LED indicators for backup.

upon holding down "bank" on power up i get one green LED then a yellow one appears flashing- at what point can i let go?

Eventually a row of green LEDS accumulated from left to right then what appeared to be a reboot- so when is it safe to remove the usb stick

On another occasion, i got 4 red LEDS flashing alternately with another 4 red LEDS when attempting a backup.

When withdrawing the USB stick this continued and i had to power off/on to reset.

i formatted in fat32 but when plugging into a PC windows tells me there is a problem with the USB stick that needs repairing but the Mac didnt complain.

also, can we expect to see player backups as part of rig manager in the future?

thanks

• In general it would be good to have an explanation of all LED indicators as a chapter in the manual.

Long-shot here, but possibly worth looking into. I just decided to try a stick today. Out of a mass of old an unused sticks, I grabbed a Sony MicroVault Click 8GB USB Flash Drive but I had no prior knowledge of what everyone has been reporting-in as far as brands/models that do or do not work. I chose not to do a "quick" format to FAT32 and I also manually set the allocation size to 4096 bytes because it's supposed to be the most optimal size for drives up to 8 GB. It took forever but it finished and I then ran the Windows Error Checking utility just to be sure that everything "should" have worked when I plugged it in to the Player. I popped it in, it got "acquainted" and it worked.

So, I'm super curious now. Is anyone paying attention to what the allocation size is set to when you format your sticks? The default setting may be too small and depending if you manually set it to another size too low or too high, maybe the Kemper software doesn't like those situations for whatever reason. Sure, I may have gotten lucky but on the other hand, has Kemper ruled out this possible oversight? Could it be a bug in the coding?

Ordinarily, that setting is not a big deal. You could however possibly lower optimization, waste storage space, or cause fragmentation. I have absolutely no proof of this. I could be grasping straws in pure-speculation-land. But I haven't actually heard about it being addressed either. I'll try some other sticks when I get a chance too so I can stop pondering so much and shut me up before someone smarter than me does. :S

"No socks? No problem."

• I was having issues but I found a fix.

Formatting multiple fresh USB sticks using disk utility on mac os to FAT32 did NOT work, I kept getting alternating red lights after holding the 'Bank' button.

The fix was to format the device using my Kemper Power Rack by inserting the stick, pressing 'USB STICK' then pressing 'FORMAT DEVICE'.

Then once I put the stick into the Player and held the 'Bank' button it worked and backed up.

Hope this helps someone out,

Z