Kemper Player with Xsonic Airstep Lite Setup

• Hi,
    I was requested to explain my setup.

I'm using these components:

Also you need some software on your mobile Device. In my case I'm using an iPad.

Be shure that AIRSTEP Lite and WIDI Bud Pro (a Midi Bluetooth Dongle) running with actual firmware. With IOS you need this software for firmware updates:

• AIRSTEP Update
    • WIDI

For customize:

• AIRSTEP
    • and WIDI again

In 'WIDI' control that the BLE role is set to 'Auto (to all BLE MIDI devices)'

In this case the WIDI Bud Pro reacts as 'Midi Central' and accept other periperal MIDI devices to connet.

Important:

Than close the app and go to the system menu for bluetooth.

Search for 'WIDI Bud Pro' and set this device to ignore. So the WIDI Bud Pro doesn't connect automatically with your mobile device again.

The LED on WIDI Bud Pro blinks every second in blue.

Switch on your AIRSTEP Lite.

With actual firmware AIRSTEP Lite can be used with three devicese at the same time.

After some time the connection established and the LED colour of WIDI Bud Pro changed to turqoise.

And now the LED is fast flashing. This is becouse MIDI heartbeat messages.

Now you can assign some MIDI commands to AIRSTEP.

But only CC or PC function. SysEx messages not.

I'm using 4 different gain settings with foot switches 'A' and 'B'.

For that I use 'press' and 'long press'.

Here a example for foot switch 'A'

You are also able to swith effects.

Here an excample to switch Reverb on/off:

On Airstep I do not use PC codes at this time.

I'm using ForScore (a sheet software) on my iPad.

And there, I defined some PC codes to change the rig with entering a sheet.

For that you have to estabish a bluetooth connection between iPad and AIRSTEP.

Than AIRSTEP routes the MIDI messages forward to Kemper Player.

And on the other way I defined the foot switch 'D' on AIRSTEP to page turn in ForScore.

Kemper Profiler Player with Power Cabinet

Edited once, last by gstrotmann ().

• Awesome, thank you! I have the M Vave Chocolate, which works fine. I was not able to send Midi-Changes from Forscore to the Player. From that point: is this the real Midi-Message u are sending (last screenshot)?

I use forscore for many years with my Head sending CC changes for changing my performances to the song we play next. That exact CC change wont work at the moment, but maybe I just try to send something wrong if the change you show in the screenshot works ;).

If someone is interested in how the M Vave should be "programmed" I am happy to help. Maybe it then is a good idea to gather all that information in some sort of documentation. Willing to help here...

• Awesome, thank you! I have the M Vave Chocolate, which works fine. I was not able to send Midi-Changes from Forscore to the Player. From that point: is this the real Midi-Message u are sending (last screenshot)?

I use forscore for many years with my Head sending CC changes for changing my performances to the song we play next. That exact CC change wont work at the moment, but maybe I just try to send something wrong if the change you show in the screenshot works ;).

If someone is interested in how the M Vave should be "programmed" I am happy to help. Maybe it then is a good idea to gather all that information in some sort of documentation. Willing to help here...

Yes, the Midi PC Code on screenshot set Rig Bank1 Slot 3. (Slot Number starts a '0')

I have also a M-Vave Chocolate. But I was not able to use USB-B of the profiler. So at this moment the Chocolate is a backup for Airstep.

• I have also a M-Vave Chocolate. But I was not able to use USB-B of the profiler. So at this moment the Chocolate is a backup for Airstep.

the M-Vave Chocolate acts as a USB-device, and not a host (to other USB devices) therefore it has to be connected to Kemper's 'A' port (=host) This is tested and works fine.

So: simply use the USB A-C cable, which is included with the Chocolate, and you're set.

• Yes, the Midi PC Code on screenshot set Rig Bank1 Slot 3. (Slot Number starts a '0')

I have also a M-Vave Chocolate. But I was not able to use USB-B of the profiler. So at this moment the Chocolate is a backup for Airstep.

I also tried, but failed with the B-Port - had the plan to use 2 M Vaves, one with the A and one with the B port :D.

Thanks for your reply. I will try that again with the M Vave.

For someone who, like me, will use a Head/Rack/Stage AND the Player: I plan on using the virtual buttons in forscore: one for changing the Head Performance to the song we play next and one button in case I bring the player. That would, for my usage, the ultimate solution for nearly every live/rehearsal-situation :)

• the M-Vave Chocolate acts as a USB-device, and not a host (to other USB devices) therefore it has to be connected to Kemper's 'A' port (=host) This is tested and works fine.

So: simply use the USB A-C cable, which is included with the Chocolate, and you're set.

Thanks for the explanation of differents between USB-A and USB-B port. :thumbup:

I thought I could use USB-B with M-Vave Chocolate and USB-A with my Blutooth dongle to user AIRSTEP Lite.

So the M-Vave will be a backup ;)

• Unfortunately I am not able to get forscore up and running as you did. What exactly did you seutp insinde the Airstep to receive and forward the midi message from Forscore?

Please check your MIDI forwarding in the AIRSTEP App.

• the M-Vave Chocolate acts as a USB-device, and not a host (to other USB devices) therefore it has to be connected to Kemper's 'A' port (=host) This is tested and works fine.

Yesterday I've briefly tried the chocalote with usb-c \ usb-a adapter and I was not able to send PC any ideas? I was assuming it should work out of the box

• Please post a screenshot of the app. It should work out of the box. In that case, the A-D buttons select rigs 1-4 if properly connected. Did you switch it on (there is a small switch on the back of the M Vave).

• Please post a screenshot of the app. It should work out of the box. In that case, the A-D buttons select rigs 1-4 if properly connected. Did you switch it on (there is a small switch on the back of the M Vave).

I'm not new to the chocolate, I'v used it with amplitube and overloud on my desktop, and with ampero stomp. So the only thing could be the cable, since I can't find the original one and used another one usb b\c to a, il try it with the pc and come back to this thread

• it can also be the configuration of the Chocolate (as it was used for other software already, the Chocolate is possibly no longer in factory default mode?)

a USBA <-> C cable can be any generic one... shouldn't be very critical... but has to have datalines connected (i.e. : not a charging-only cable)

• it can also be the configuration of the Chocolate (as it was used for other software already, the Chocolate is possibly no longer in factory default mode?)

a USBA <-> C cable can be any generic one... shouldn't be very critical... but has to have datalines connected (i.e. : not a charging-only cable)

I'm waiting for a new cable beacause this one seems failing, I'll keep you posted

• ok changed cable and all works fine! I also used the usb-a --> bt dongle i've bought along the m-vave bt midi set, so I'm able to use the chocolate in bluetooth.

I've tested in mode A and B with which in the chocolate means 128 PC in 32 groups of 4 PC. This is fine.To be perfect I'll only need to figure out how to select a rig and assign it to a single footswitch to avoid switching banks.

• Hey Gstrotmann,

Thx fot the explanation.
    In the meantime i've been able to connect the airstep to my kemper player, and also to my kemper profiler powered rack.
    For the player I use the Widi bud pro, for the profiler I use the Widi jack conntected to the profiler.

It both works with the settings that are baked in the airstep app for KPA.

Either way, thanks for the tutorial.

• I used it this weekend at a gig on my kemper power rack.
    It worked well, althou I feel some latency when pushing the buttons.
    I connected the Widi Jack to the midi of the rack and connected trough that.
    Any idea on how to decrease the latency?

• I can only guess, so I do not have a solution.

Midi over Bluetooth uses same frequency as wifi and some guitar transmitter systems.

So latency would be smaller when distance is short and transmitter see each other directly.