Posts by gstrotmann

Hi,
    with the new beta you should be able to toggle effect buttons.

If you assign an effect module to an effectbutton you are able to toogle with one tip on the switches also by rig changes ;)

very intriguing!!

How easy was it to install your code into the device?

Could you confirm the procedure required to do so.

Maybe a little video-demo would be nice too.

You need a connection to a computer. This must be done while like:

Connect Midi Captain with your computer via USB cable.

Press and hold swith 1 (first in top line) while. you turn on you MIDI Captian.

You should now see your device as MIDICAPTAIN on your computer.

Than you can copy the files you want to add/change to the MIDI Captain device.
    Here you have to copy the Python skript to the device folder /lib.
    And than you have to manipulate the code.py in the root folder.

If you want have both possibilities (original SW and this skript), change code.py to:

import board
    import time
    import digitalio

switch2 = digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.GP25)
    switch2.direction = digitalio.Direction.INPUT
    switch2.pull = digitalio.Pull.UP

print("Press Switch 2 to enter Kemper Stomp Modus")
    time.sleep(2)

if switch2.value is False:
    switch2.deinit()
    import kemperstomp
    else:
    switch2.deinit()
    import midicaptain6s_kpp

Than you have two seconds while booting MIDI Captain to press the middle switch in the top row and enter my skript.

Otherwise the original Firmware will be uses.

I also send this skript to Mr. Wilson.

Perhaps he likes the UI and adapt something....

Hi,

before vendor PaintAudio shows his new firmware (v3.6) I started developing my own firmware to use it with KPP.

Here is my actual version.

Goals were:

LED light represents automatically: effect slot empy, effect is off, effect is on.

Use same LED colors for effects like Kemper Player.

Show rig name in big letters with high contrast.

And also automatically detect rig changes.

Now I have such a cool (and cheap) tool in combination with my kpp :)

If effect slot is empty, corresponding swith and light is disabled.

If there is an effect but not on, light is dimmed.

Otherwise light is bright.

I also included the effect type into the display.

Switch occopancy:

A -> effect module A

B -> effect module B

C -> Booster function (Tip from slateboy TOP TIP: Gain a volume-boost without using an FX slot or morph (any unit))

1 -> effect module DLY

2 -> effect module REV

3 -> Tuner (on/off)

If you give the firmware a try, you have it to copy the file in zip to the lib folder.
    And then change in code.py

import midicaptain6s_kpp

to

import kemperstomp

Some features have to be implemented in future:

Configuration with a config file

faster rig change detection (today I found a way by using the rig date)

and different actions by using long and short press of a switch

In another Forum entre I found:

The message "Not Charging" on Apple devices is unfortunately a bit misleading.

Every Profiler device supplies up to 500 mA of current through the USB A connector. This is what a regular phone charger delivers.

When you connect an iPad on such a source, it will tell you "Not Charging", because your iPad is switched on, showing that message, and drawing most of the currrent for the device itself, being powered. Not much additional (or no) current is left for charging the battery in parallel.

Now if you switch off your iPad, it will charge using the full 500 mA! But the display is off and would not inform you about that. That's a paradox :)

Thus you can charge any device on a Profiler up to 100% if there is enough time. But you should keep it switched off during that time.

But you can also keep a device powered for an indefinete time, it it does not draw too much current. It would not charge then, but it also would not discharge the battery.

The rule of thumb is, the larger the screen, and the brighter, the more current the device draws.

I did a test with my iPad Pro 11' a couple weeks ago to power it with my Profiler. I checked and adjusted the screen brightness so that the battery would not discharge, which took some time. Then I let the iPad run with the Profiler Rigmanager App running for 11 hours. It worked!

The screen brightness was only at one third, but that was still bright enough for a dim stage. The battery load came up from 76% to 82% in these 11 hours. So merely charging, but not discharging. If it was discharging slowly, the screen brightness would draw a bit more than the 500mA of current, and the battery had to support it, until it was empty.

The iPad showed "Not Charging" for 11 hours, which is about a true statement.

If I had a smaller tablet, such as an 8' Kindle Fire, I could have the screen brighter, at the same current.

So it is possible on stage to have a tablet with editor powered by the Profiler the whole night including sound check.

CK"

Hm, I have a different setup with my Airstep.
    There are two bluetooth connections from my iPad. One to the Airstep to send Midi Commands over it to KPP. And another to KPP to play audio over Blutooth. (So the iPad is wireless.)
    The Widi Bud Stick is in the USB-A Slot of the KPP. Over this connection between Airstep and KPP is estabilshed.

In my opinion it should be possible with a lightining cable between KPP and iPad. Over this there might be audio playback and Midi Commands possible.
    And you can use your PageFip Firefly to navigate to the song sheets and over BandHelper sending correspodending Midi Commands...

I did a test. Unfortunately my both iPads says that no charging is possible.
    And also sending Midi Commands over the cable are not recognized by KPP.

Perhaps I need an additional Midi Software on iPad?

I do not know...

I found another Forum entry about charging an iPad. The USB-A port delivers 500mA. Enough for using an iPad, but not charging at the same time. While display switched off, iPad will be charged.

But no recomendation yet, how to send Midi commands over Lightning cable.

I had to do a reset. My player was new and I didn‘t had made a lot of with it. So I was not affraid to loose something.

Press and hold GAIN and RIG VOLUME for 5 seconds.

After this I could use a stick that previously doesn‘t worked.

the M-Vave Chocolate acts as a USB-device, and not a host (to other USB devices) therefore it has to be connected to Kemper's 'A' port (=host) This is tested and works fine.

So: simply use the USB A-C cable, which is included with the Chocolate, and you're set.

Thanks for the explanation of differents between USB-A and USB-B port. :thumbup:

I thought I could use USB-B with M-Vave Chocolate and USB-A with my Blutooth dongle to user AIRSTEP Lite.

So the M-Vave will be a backup ;)

Awesome, thank you! I have the M Vave Chocolate, which works fine. I was not able to send Midi-Changes from Forscore to the Player. From that point: is this the real Midi-Message u are sending (last screenshot)?

I use forscore for many years with my Head sending CC changes for changing my performances to the song we play next. That exact CC change wont work at the moment, but maybe I just try to send something wrong if the change you show in the screenshot works ;).

If someone is interested in how the M Vave should be "programmed" I am happy to help. Maybe it then is a good idea to gather all that information in some sort of documentation. Willing to help here...

Yes, the Midi PC Code on screenshot set Rig Bank1 Slot 3. (Slot Number starts a '0')

I have also a M-Vave Chocolate. But I was not able to use USB-B of the profiler. So at this moment the Chocolate is a backup for Airstep.

Hi,
    I was requested to explain my setup.

I'm using these components:

Also you need some software on your mobile Device. In my case I'm using an iPad.

Be shure that AIRSTEP Lite and WIDI Bud Pro (a Midi Bluetooth Dongle) running with actual firmware. With IOS you need this software for firmware updates:

• AIRSTEP Update
    • WIDI

For customize:

• AIRSTEP
    • and WIDI again

In 'WIDI' control that the BLE role is set to 'Auto (to all BLE MIDI devices)'

In this case the WIDI Bud Pro reacts as 'Midi Central' and accept other periperal MIDI devices to connet.

Important:

Than close the app and go to the system menu for bluetooth.

Search for 'WIDI Bud Pro' and set this device to ignore. So the WIDI Bud Pro doesn't connect automatically with your mobile device again.

The LED on WIDI Bud Pro blinks every second in blue.

Switch on your AIRSTEP Lite.

With actual firmware AIRSTEP Lite can be used with three devicese at the same time.

After some time the connection established and the LED colour of WIDI Bud Pro changed to turqoise.

And now the LED is fast flashing. This is becouse MIDI heartbeat messages.

Now you can assign some MIDI commands to AIRSTEP.

But only CC or PC function. SysEx messages not.

I'm using 4 different gain settings with foot switches 'A' and 'B'.

For that I use 'press' and 'long press'.

Here a example for foot switch 'A'

You are also able to swith effects.

Here an excample to switch Reverb on/off:

On Airstep I do not use PC codes at this time.

I'm using ForScore (a sheet software) on my iPad.

And there, I defined some PC codes to change the rig with entering a sheet.

For that you have to estabish a bluetooth connection between iPad and AIRSTEP.

Than AIRSTEP routes the MIDI messages forward to Kemper Player.

And on the other way I defined the foot switch 'D' on AIRSTEP to page turn in ForScore.

Hi Steve,
    I have a WIDI Bud Pro (USB Bluetooth Midi Adapter) and have the same thougt.
    I see the WIDI LED wildly blinking after build up a connection to my Mido foot switch.

Guido

I think you are experiencing the difference between Amp Gain in liquid profiles and Generic Gain which affects all rigs. The amp gain only covers the range of gain the actual profiles amp was capable of. However, this is usually a narrower range than the Kemper's Generic Gain can cover.

Thanks Alan for you hint.
    But must be Amp Gain=zero not equal on every Amp? If some rigs starts with Amp Gain Level 2.6 resulting of CC72 with 0
    What does it mean, when I manually turn the potentiometer down? I use the Rig Amp 'cleaner' than his technical original?