Profiler Player - Backup on USB Stick

• a backup should only take a minute. If the LEDs still flash there might be an issue with the stick. Please try to reformat it to FAT32 in your computer and try again or use a different stick. Make sure that the stick is no bigger than 64 GB.

Got the same issue, I took the same USB stick I used with my toaster without any issues. ( I did format it to FAT32) It doesn`t work on the player

• Anyone know exactly which type of USB thumb drives the Player uses? I've tried four now and only one old one worked. They were all formatted for FAT32 and they were all in working order on other devices. They are all under 16GB, This must be a bug.

• Same issue here. Tried two different sticks, both formatted in FAT32 (one of 2 GB and one of 32 GB). The 32 GB USB stick is also used for my Profiler. On the player, there's red lights that start flashing and no backup is taken on the stick.

Tried a third stick now, still the same problem :(

• I had to do a reset. My player was new and I didn‘t had made a lot of with it. So I was not affraid to loose something.

Press and hold GAIN and RIG VOLUME for 5 seconds.

After this I could use a stick that previously doesn‘t worked.

Kemper Profiler Player with Power Cabinet

• Tried a third stick now, still the same problem :(

Yeah this is getting to be ridiculous.

Kemper, why are our correctly-formatted USB sticks working with every other device in the universe but not your product, the Player?

Is a firmware fix coming or do we just send these units back for a refund?

• I had to do a reset. My player was new and I didn‘t had made a lot of with it. So I was not affraid to loose something.

Press and hold GAIN and RIG VOLUME for 5 seconds.

After this I could use a stick that previously doesn‘t worked.

Thanks. Tried that, didn't work.

• Official Post

I can use all my USB sticks which were already acquainted to a PROFILER with the Player regardless of age and make and size. If this stick has even been plugged into a running PROFILER it should work.

If you have just reformatted the stick it's completely empty. In that case it needs to get acquainted again. This basically creates three folders on that stick: Backups, Shared, OS Update. The folder Backups is what the Player needs to store the backup file.

Perhaps you are reformatting the sticks, plugging the sticks into the unpowered Player and immediately initiating the backup process!? That doesn't work!

Plug the stick into the Player once before while it is running. The Main Manual refers to this as a "prepared USB flash drive".

• Perhaps you are reformatting the sticks, plugging the sticks into the unpowered Player and immediately initiating the backup process!? That doesn't work!

Plug the stick into the Player once before while it is running. The Main Manual refers to this as a "prepared USB flash drive".

Thank you Burkhard. That did the trick to me. Maybe this should be mentioned in the manual.

Edited once, last by rma_100 ().

• That is the solution:

Plug the stick into the Player once before while it is running

Thank you so much Burkhard.

Where have you found this information? I would be happy to find the answer to a future question on my own.

On page 340 in the main manual I found that “the PROFILER will automatically suggest reformatting the stick”. Can the Player do that too?

• If this stick has even been plugged into a running PROFILER it should work.

That didn't work for me :( The stick works on my toaster but not on the Player.

I formatted another stick and this one works with your new instructions.

Thanks for the solution.

• Official Post

This USB stick topic is basically very simple: All USB sticks that I'm aware of work right out of the box, since these are usually already pre-formatted with FAT32. I personally never experienced any exception and am using all kind of USB sticks with all kind of PROFILER models all the time.

If you follow the logic of the Main Manual chapter"Updates, Backups, and Sharing Sounds" you find these statements on page 136:

·       Before you can use a USB flash drive to transfer files from your Mac® or PC, your USB flash drive and PROFILER need to become acquainted. When you connect a USB flash drive for the very first time, the PROFILER will create three folders on that drive: Backups, OS Update, and "Shared.

·       New USB flash drives are normally pre-formatted with file system FAT32, which is immediately compatible with the PROFILER. In this case, no further action is needed.

·       USB flash drives pre-formatted with another file system, like NTFS or exFAT, cannot be used with the PROFILER Player, but need to be reformatted to file system FAT32 first, using a PC. Be aware that this formatting will delete all data on that stick!

·       The PROFILER can deal with USB flash drive of up to 128 GB and more. However, for standard PROFILER applications, 1 or 2 GB will be fine. A normal PROFILER backup is only a few MB.

This answers the question, how the Player treats sticks not preformatted with FAT32. Other PROFILER models display a warning message and ask for confirmation to reformat the stick. The Player cannot display such a warning. To avoid loss of data it doesn't automatically reformat. But again, that is practically irrelevant, since all sticks you can buy are preformatted with FAT32.

In the paragraph "Backups" on page 137 you find this:

A complete backup of all data and global settings can be done via USB flash-drive. To do so, please plug the prepared USB flash-drive into your PROFILER while it’s unpowered.

This "prepared" refers to the explanation on page 136. If you use an USB stick, which had never been plugged into a PROFILER before, and plug it into the Player while it is powered off, they cannot become "acquainted". The unpowered Player cannot create those three folders on that stick. I'm think about how to make this text even more obvious.

Different topic: If you have a USB stick, that works with your PROFILER and doesn't work with your Player, this might be one of these usual hick-ups, that sticks sometimes have. Something screwed in their directory, I guess. I have seen cases, where a stick did work with my PC and was not recognized by my wifes PC, although these are nearly identical PC models. Sometimes a PC suggests to repair a stick, although it seems to work with another device. But these cases are very rare. A repair or reformat fixes the issue normally. And the PROFILER is not special in any way. Just keep in mind, that after reformatting a new acquauntance is required.

• OK so what do we do if we don't have another Kemper unit to format and setup? How exactly do we use the Player to setup the folders, etc....?