Kemper Player becomes unresponsive when connecting midi pedal over USB

• It is of course a Kemper issue because its the same behaviour with differenz midi pedals (Harley benton and Midi Captain).

Is the ticket already open?

why would it 'of course' be a Kemper issue then? please stop spreading misleading info.

a lot of interfaces and controllers work just fine.

unfortunately it's unclear at this moment what has been fixed on midi-captains side to make it work... but it's clear that it seem to have been fixed externally @ Paintaudio, and that the KPP is working as before just as it has been.

• (my Chinese is a bit rusty :) ) maybe you could summarize what is said in the video? is explained what the problem was?

The general idea is that Dr. ZUO detected that the packets that the player's USB-midi interface kept sending were blocking the midicaptain, and he processed those packets in a new version of the firmware, and then it worked fine!

• why would it 'of course' be a Kemper issue then? please stop spreading misleading info.

a lot of interfaces and controllers work just fine.

unfortunately it's unclear at this moment what has been fixed on midi-captains side to make it work... but it's clear that it seem to have been fixed externally @ Paintaudio, and that the KPP is working as before just as it has been.

Because of the reason I just said.
    Besides the fact, that a lot of controllers work just fine .... fact is, that these problems occur, when using a Kemper only. The Harley Benton MP 100 midi controllers work fine via usb. This has been tested e.g. with guitar rig. I'm not spreading misleading info. Seems like you dont want to see, that its a kemper kroblem. Fact is that some controllers work directly via USB and others dont.

The Solution is, as I said before, and stated in the manual to use a Midi-To-USB-cable so you can connect the foot controller via Midi Kable to a USB cable on the Kemper side.

• (my Chinese is a bit rusty :) ) maybe you could summarize what is said in the video? is explained what the problem was?

Dr.zuo has posted instruction for the English version

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Dr.zuo has posted instruction for the English version

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

thanks a lot! so: kudos to Paintaudio for solving this issue on their side!

• Page 157 in the Player manual says:

"The Player supports MIDI over USB, and connects easily to any universal MIDI controller device via an USB MIDI

interface"

yes it does... as is demonstrated on several videos which can be found on the internet. (see above for an example with Paintaudio's MIDI captain, but there are others too)

so it is misinformation to bluntly state 'It is of course a Kemper issue'

Because of the reason I just said.
    Besides the fact, that a lot of controllers work just fine .... fact is, that these problems occur, when using a Kemper only. The Harley Benton MP 100 midi controllers work fine via usb. This has been tested e.g. with guitar rig. I'm not spreading misleading info. Seems like you dont want to see, that its a kemper kroblem. Fact is that some controllers work directly via USB and others dont.

The Solution is, as I said before, and stated in the manual to use a Midi-To-USB-cable so you can connect the foot controller via Midi Kable to a USB cable on the Kemper side.

Yes you're correct: I'm still not convinced it's Kemper problem. As can be seen from Paintaudio / MIDIcaptain 's video : there was some issue inside the MIDI captain while handling KPP's messages.. so here's one example where external equipment had a firmware bug (which seems to be solved now)

same thing _could_ be the case with the Harley Benton equipment : it's impossible for Kemper to debug or analyze all external equipment out there.

I suggest contacting the manufacturer of the malfunctioning device and report the problem over there.

and you're also correct: as an intermediate solution it is possible to connect a USB<->MIDI cable to connect external device per DIN MIDI, unfortunately then you loose the nice capability of the KPP to power external controllers

• I called Kemper tody via Phone and the problem is known ...

Problem is that the Kemper is sending data packages to the midi controller and the Harley Benton is not ready to receive midi data. So the packages are lining up and are blocking the whole connection.

There has to be a firmware update by Harley Benton to solve this issue.

• Dr.zuo has posted instruction for the English version

Really nice, thanks for the info 😀

• thanks a lot! so: kudos to Paintaudio for solving this issue on their side!

It is a kemper issue, because the kemper sends status information permanently and it is a harley benton mp 100 issue, because the mp100 cant process these status messages.

Sometimes its not black or white.

So everybody can say its misleading.

But Albert Einstein sais: Its all relative.

• It is a kemper issue, because the kemper sends status information permanently and it is a harley benton mp 100 issue, because the mp100 cant process these status messages.

Sometimes its not black or white.

So everybody can say its misleading.

But Albert Einstein sais: Its all relative.

no!

if the MP100 is declaring a MIDI port (which it seemingly does), it has to be prepared that there will be transmitted data through that port - per definition of (USB) MIDI.

(imagine: a guitar amplifier having a connector labelled 'mains power input', but blowing up if you _actually_ connected mains power over there...)

so if that really would be the only cause of the problem, it would be even more clear that the malfunctioning is not @ Kemper's side.

and yes: in that case it actually *would* be black or white, and nothing relative about it (!)

so: please contact the manufacturer of that device and report malfunctioning over there.

• It is a kemper issue, because the kemper sends status information permanently and it is a harley benton mp 100 issue, because the mp100 cant process these status messages.

„Active Sensing“ is a standard MIDI message and it is one(!) byte every 300ms. Every MIDI device should be able to handle that.

I fail to see where this is a „Kemper Issue“. If the manufacturer of the mp100 has questions about it he is invited to contact us.

• It turned out, that it is a harley benton issue.

I contacted harley benton and they are unable to update the firmware, which is necessary to eliminate the problem.

So they offered me to return the HB MP-100.