Kemper Player becomes unresponsive when connecting midi pedal over USB

• Hi! I'm trying to use the Harley Benton MP100 (MeloAudio Midi Commander) to control the Kemper Player by connecting the pedal over USB.

For some reason, as soon as the midi pedal is connected to the Player, the Player becomes extremely unresponsive. Changing presets suddenly takes about 3 seconds, even when using the buttons directly on the Player. Adjusting any knobs on the Player is equally slow.

I know I could probably use a midi to USB adapter instead of using USB directly, however using the USB only would be a lot nicer, since it will also provide power to the midi pedal and allow me to use fewer cables.

Is anyone aware of any solution?

• Hi Chainsaw,

I have the same problem with my player in combination with my HB MP-100 (Kemper-mode), it reacts extremely slow via usb connection.

Tried it out with a midi to USB adapter, in that case the player doesn't react at all

Hopefully a Kemper-tech can help us out

• I had an issue with another midi pedal. The issues caused a stutter when switching rigs via midi. The manufacturer was able to get it sorted out. (In other works the KPP was not the issue)

• As brokenvail said it is unlikely that the player is the cause of this problem. I haven’t used mine with a midi pedal have have used it hooked up to my DAW and used this to send program changes. Everything worked as expected with no delays at all. This implies that the Player is capable of receiving and implementing midi over USB without issue. Therefore, the issue is most likely to be the midi data being sent.

• Wheresthedug

Thanks for replying! I'm not sure I agree completely, though.

If the only problem was that the Kemper reacted slowly to midi commands, that would be one thing. However, as soon as the pedal is connected, even using the buttons on the actual Kemper unit works poorly, which at least in my opinion implies that the Kemper unit is also acting in a way that it shouldn't.

• Wheresthedug

Thanks for replying! I'm not sure I agree completely, though.

If the only problem was that the Kemper reacted slowly to midi commands, that would be one thing. However, as soon as the pedal is connected, even using the buttons on the actual Kemper unit works poorly, which at least in my opinion implies that the Kemper unit is also acting in a way that it shouldn't.

That doesn’t rule out the midi controller as the cause though. It is possible that it is sending unnecessary midi messages at high frequency which is causing a delay for the Player. Try hooking up via some form of midi monitoring application and see exactly what the pedal is sending.

• Thanks for the tip!

Checked using a midi monitor app while connecting the midi pedal to a pc, also by USB.

It sends nothing but the expected program or control change messages, so I'm still not entirely convinced that the issue does not lie with the Kemper.

• I have the same exact problems with a unbranded midi footswitch. It works with everything, but when connected to the player, the player react slowly and is unstable.

is it a pure MIDI footswitch, or does it connect through USB-MIDI ? 'unbranded' makes it a bit hard to find problems unfortunately :(

• Hi everyone!

I am using the "Midi Captain"(similar model like the Harley Benton or Midi Commander posted above). The device is connected via usb to the usb-a port of the KPP

and I am facing the exact same symptoms like reported in posting #10. Once the usb connection is established e.g. changing rigs on the KPP itself gets very slow. The Midi Switching through the "Midi Captain" works properly but also takes forever until the KPP notices the CC command.

Notice that the midi controller works properly with my Boss RC-500 looper and does not have a noticeable latency in that context (although here using a midi-cable->TRS connection and not usb).

Would be great to know if this is a KPP issue or is caused by the "Midi Captain".

Thanks in advance

• i had a similar issue myself. (yet to get to the bottom of it)

Out of interest, was your player connected to rig-manager at the time?

No, it was not connected to rig-manager. But yesterday (when I was not yet aware that connecting by midi controller to the KPP causes an issue) I noticed also the RigManager reacting very slow, when sending request to the KPP (like loading a profile from Rig Exchange)

• You need the latest firmware upgrade, and the author of midicaptain has already resolved this issue