Reamping with KPA & USB interface WITHOUT SPDIF

• Hi

I was searching forums for this case but haven't found. My audio interface doesn't have SPDIF. How do I connect KPA and interface to reamp and hear RAW guitar signal that exists on my hard drive as *.wav file?

Is reamping also DAW specific? I am using Reaper.

Thanks for any advices
    Tom

• for reamping you will need a reamp box basically an impedance matching transformer that will take the output signal of your daw/innerface and unbalance it and put it at guitar impedance then hook the output of the reampbox to the input of the kemper and the output of the kemper to your input and hit record

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/f05540.jpg]
    Pro Tools HDX HD i/o 8x8x8
    SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• for reamping you will need a reamp box basically an impedance matching transformer that will take the output signal of your daw/innerface and unbalance it and put it at guitar impedance then hook the output of the reampbox to the input of the kemper and the output of the kemper to your input and hit record

That´s right. As you can see, a lot of signal transformation, additional digital conversions (which add latency) and lot of cables. If you really plan to do reamping regularly, i would really think about getting an audio interface with SPDIF. It makes all that stuff a lot easier while not sacrificing any sound quality.

If you have active pickus in your guitar, this all is a little less of a problem, since those already put out a low impedance signal, which isnt that suspectable to hum and hiss as with passive pickups.

• That´s right. As you can see, a lot of signal transformation, additional digital conversions (which add latency) and lot of cables. If you really plan to do reamping regularly, i would really think about getting an audio interface with SPDIF. It makes all that stuff a lot easier while not sacrificing any sound quality.

If you have active pickus in your guitar, this all is a little less of a problem, since those already put out a low impedance signal, which isnt that suspectable to hum and hiss as with passive pickups.

I am not planing reamp regularly, I just want to reamp some RAW guitar tracks (*.wav files) from my computer. It just make a little mess in my head. For example I open RAW guitar track in DAW, then.... I imagine that from the output of interface (where RAW guitar track will go from DAW...) I should go into Kemper where I can add stack to this raw track, and then from output (which output?) of Kemper I will go to the input of interface, and then from output of interface to monitors.... Is that right? My interface is THIS Focisrite, I have also this SAMSON DI Box - I would be grateful if you specify how I connect this, because yesterday I grabbed some cables fror drawer and started to think how do I do this? Ended up with as always sloppy noodling on Kemper. Thanks in advance.

• The only thing that you should be careful of, is that you do not feed the reamped signal out of the interface output back into the KPA, which would cause a feedback loop (very nasty).

Since your interface has two indepdant out pairs i recommend the following.

Create two output buses in your sequenzer software that are connected to the two pairs of outputs. One bus is the normal one that you use for monitoring and playback of all tracks except the raw guitar track. The second bus is your reamping bus. Send your Raw signals to this bus. Now connect the reamping output with the KPA input. The normal KPA outputs are connected to the interface inputs. Now just playback the raw tracks and record the audio interface input at the same time. Sounds more complicated than it is...

• send the .wav out of a spare output of your soundcard to the input of the kemper, send the masterout of the kemper to one or two inputs of your soundcard. and listen via your monitors connected to 2 outputs of your soundcard.

but, as their might be problems with impedance-matching between the soundcard output to the guitarinput on the kemper you might need a reamping box...but ihose are notcheap as well so it might be better to look around for a soundcard with spdif

• The only thing that you should be careful of, is that you do not feed the reamped signal out of the interface output back into the KPA, which would cause a feedback loop (very nasty).

Since your interface has two indepdant out pairs i recommend the following.

Create two output buses in your sequenzer software that are connected to the two pairs of outputs. One bus is the normal one that you use for monitoring and playback of all tracks except the raw guitar track. The second bus is your reamping bus. Send your Raw signals to this bus. Now connect the reamping output with the KPA input. The normal KPA outputs are connected to the interface inputs. Now just playback the raw tracks and record the audio interface input at the same time. Sounds more complicated than it is...

Yes.. sounds complicated really but I'll give a try today.... Thanks
    Should I place SAMSON DI box in any place of this signal chain?

• no, no need to.

the di box would only be of help if you connect the guitar directly into your soundcard-input for recording the pure guitar signal (but with the kemper you can do this now without a di)

• Should I place SAMSON DI box in any place of this signal chain?

No, since it is an active DI Box. Passive Di Boxes work in both directions, active ones do not. An active Di Box can only tranform a high impedance signal into a low impedance one. But ot of your interfaces you would need to transform the low impedance signal back into a high impedance one.

• No, since it is an active DI Box. Passive Di Boxes work in both directions, active ones do not. An active Di Box can only tranform a high impedance signal into a low impedance one. But ot of your interfaces you would need to transform the low impedance signal back into a high impedance one.

Now connect the reamping output with the KPA input.

So do I need reamping box (which is not DI Box) here?