Player: power-supply connection temperamental

• Anyone else found the 9v power-supply connection temperamental or unreliable?

I notice that a light knock or nudge of the plug is enough to momentarily interrupt the supply voltage which results in the Player crashing (single flashing red LED on the bank button)

Thinking ahead, if this is to be used on stages where there is some vibrations likely i am not confident with it.

What are the specs, ie dimensions (internal and external) of the 9v socket and plug.

There is clearly some "play" in the terminal and although the supplied power-supply has a better-than-average plug it is still possible to wiggle to a point of no contact. I'd expect the internal voltage regular to have some additional smoothing to deal with light supply-voltage ripples but to what tolerance, i dont know.

Maybe there's some dirt on my terminal (i will take a look)

Curious to know how far you can jiggle your plug before you get a crash.

• follow up to this message;

the issue appears to be when connected to a PC/MAC (not necessarily rig manager) where that device has a switch-mode power supply (typical for many laptops). A slight mis-contact from the incoming power-supply may spike the power-source as the PC/Mac may not be referenced to ground as these power supplies often "float". Removing from the MAc/PC eradicated this issue and also removed the electrical noise from the audio.

This is a common side-effect when using equipment that does not have a proper or common ground.

• great update. if you find the normal connection is not secure still, i mentioned in another thread that the looseness can be adjusted a bit:

Quote from BillyNoSocks

if the barrel jack is within reasonable +/- dimension deviations and it has the same tip as mine, you may find a little more snugness by using a pin or small clip to adjust the center pole contacts. i had to do this when i hooked up a crappy inline power switch and it bent the contacts of the Player's jack out enough that the fit was just loose enough for the player to lose power. the little square cutouts on end of the tip are how you can access the contacts and bend them gently inwards. worth a shot for a more stable connection.

"No socks? No problem."

• 5.5mm x 2.1mm is a standard size.

what/whose standard? Do you mean "most common" for guitar pedals?

As a side note, the hx stomp has a "larger-than-standard" centre pin so the regular/common size doesn't fit.

There are some minor variations, all of which may work, but which one will be the best fit?

Has anyone seen the spec listed in the manual or by the manufacturer?

• You had asked if his measurements were his, or declared by the manufacturer.

It is a standard size. He didn't measure it.

As for which diameter - Kemper Support would easily be the folks to ask.

Also:

"The two most common barrel connector sizes are 5.5 mm outer sleeve diameter with 2.1 mm inner sleeve diameter and 5.5 mm outer sleeve diameter with 2.5 mm inner sleeve diameter."

Selecting Appropriate Input and Output Plugs for Your Power Adapter | CUI Inc
    Power supplies have both input and output voltages and thus often have associated input and output connectors. The broad range of connectors available for…
    www.cui.com

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche