Player extended midi control demo and how to show slot-names

• Warning, nerd alert for all midi enthusiasts and system-exclusive geeks alike...

Using an external midi controller can gain extra functionality to your Player, including a level boost without consuming an FX slot.

You can even display the names of the Kemper Player on a screen or midi controller.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Very practical

How is it possible to display rig name on the MIDI controller screen?

as briefly described in the video, using midi system exclusive, you can request the value of many parameters including the name of the rig as a string.

You obviously have to then process the midi data returned (which is another system exlusive message) and convert that data in order to output to your display device.

You could do this in a simple midi editor (something like midiOx?) but the data returned would be nothing more than a chain of numbers. The rig name is a series of ascii values (characters representd by numbers) You could of course build something using PC/Mac software but i am not educated enough to cover that.

I dont really use this pedal. It was more of a nerdy project to do a few years back. I do recall it took hours and hours.

summary-

in order to do something like this you need to understand about the following-

• midi protocol
    • system exclusive (send and receive)
    • ascii code
    • hexadecimal numbering system
    • microprocessor control and display
    • some programming knowledge that can interact with midi data

if any of those mean little or nothing then i'd probanly suggest not going down this rabbit hole without doing your homework.

• I already understand very well! Thank you, sir

• I already understand very well! Thank you, sir

cool- i hope it didnt come over as being patronising in any way, more of a general overview for the benefits of musicians that dont carry the burden of having to know all the tec stuff.

If you know, then you know. And you know! ;)

Out of curisosity, AppleTreeChen are you planning to build something similar?

• PS if you want the sysex code for retrieveing rig names, i posted it here:

• cool- i hope it didnt come over as being patronising in any way, more of a general overview for the benefits of musicians that dont carry the burden of having to know all the tec stuff.

If you know, then you know. And you know! ;)

Out of curisosity, AppleTreeChen are you planning to build something similar?

I have been in contact with Mr. Wilson, the author of midicaptain, and I have learned some sysex knowledge and made relevant requirements. He stated that future midicaptain firmware will provide similar functions

• PS if you want the sysex code for retrieveing rig names, i posted it here:

Thank you @ slateboy, thank you very much for your help!

• Hey AppleTreeChen

following your interest in the system exclusive name retrieval of the Kemper player, i took an interest in the midi captain pedal, which i had not encountered previously. Seems to be a very flexible unit so i'm interested to know how you get on with the further development and customisation for the Kemper devices. Have you any special info or a video to demonstrate some of this "custom" functionality?

• Hey AppleTreeChen

following your interest in the system exclusive name retrieval of the Kemper player, i took an interest in the midi captain pedal, which i had not encountered previously. Seems to be a very flexible unit so i'm interested to know how you get on with the further development and customisation for the Kemper devices. Have you any special info or a video to demonstrate some of this "custom" functionality?

PaintAudio

slateboy, this is their official website where DR WILSON's contact information makes it easy to find him personally. Midicaptain is a very interesting product. If you are willing to spend time waiting, Dr. Wilson can provide personalized firmware services based on the specific requirements of each customer service, and it is free.

In China, we communicate through WeChat. If you have any questions, you can first contact Dr. Wilson via email and then agree on a communication method for one-on-one communication. Dr. Wilson is a person who is very willing to communicate.

• PaintAudio

slateboy, this is their official website where DR WILSON's contact information makes it easy to find him personally. Midicaptain is a very interesting product. If you are willing to spend time waiting, Dr. Wilson can provide personalized firmware services based on the specific requirements of each customer service, and it is free.

In China, we communicate through WeChat. If you have any questions, you can first contact Dr. Wilson via email and then agree on a communication method for one-on-one communication. Dr. Wilson is a person who is very willing to communicate.

Thanks for that info. Still interested to hear how your experiences, as an end user, are when coupled with your kemper player.

• Official Post

For those with the required prerequisites, these are the addresses of the Rig tags in case you intend to read these out. This list will be included in the next revised MIDI document:

Tags (Address Page 0 (0x00))

1 Rig Name

2 Rig Author

3 Rig Creation Date

4 Rig Comment

10 Amp Name

11 Amp Author

14 Amp Location

15 Amp Manufacturer

16 Amp Comment

18 Amp Model

19 Amp Channel

20 Pickup Type

21 Year of Production

32 Cabinet Name

33 Cabinet Author

36 Cabinet Location

37 Cabinet Manufacturer

38 Microphone Model

39 Cabinet Comment

40 Microphone Position

41 Speaker Configuration

42 Cabinet Model

44 Speaker Manufacturer

45 Speaker Model

• Official Post

Fantastic, Burkhard .
    just to confirm, was this info previous accessible but hidden?

PS- is rig manager built upon this kind of NRPN or some exclusive protocol?

The MIDI Parameter Documentation available at the KEMPER download page includes already a chapter "Request Strings Parameter" and an example showing how to request Rig Name. The guy in the video is using that for example. What is missing in the current version of the MIDI document is a list of the addresses of all Rig tags. That's what I shared above. That list will be added to the next revision of the document.

The document already includes all you need to manipulate or request values of most parameters via sysex like the on/off state of effect module A or the level of Mix in effect module DLY.

• forgive me if i have missed this either here or in other threads - can someone explain exactly what functions can and can't be mapped to a midi expression pedal?

the phrase about unlocking missing Player functionality -does that go beyond accessing names and such to mapping knobs? for instance, controlling pitch bend or even transpose because there is no pedal pitch on the player? thanks.

"No socks? No problem."

• Official Post

Generally, sending MIDI commands to control functions the Player doesn't have is meaningless.

You can only control functions described int he Player's Main Manual. So Morphing and Pedal Pitch effects are for example out of reach.

The MIDI control changes available are documented in the MIDI chapter of the Player's Main Manual.

NRPN and Sysex open more possibilities and are documented in the dedictaed document MIDI Parameter Documentation. But again, you cannot leave the boundries of the Player's feature set.

• forgive me if i have missed this either here or in other threads - can someone explain exactly what functions can and can't be mapped to a midi expression pedal?

A basic expression pedal is likely to put out CC midi data (continuous control) and the parameters controllable by this are listed in the midi documentation (free download on the kemper site)

the slightly more "advanced/deeper" controls will need NRPN control (which consumes 3 or 4 CC controls) and not available to something like the CC input expression pedal on any of the kempers, to my knowledge. A slightly more sophisticated midi controller may give you access to NRPN controls, again these are covered in the midi documentation

• Generally, sending MIDI commands to control functions the Player doesn't have is meaningless.

You can only control functions described int he Player's Main Manual. So Morphing and Pedal Pitch effects are for example out of reach.

The MIDI control changes available are documented in the MIDI chapter of the Player's Main Manual.

NRPN and Sysex open more possibilities and are documented in the dedictaed document MIDI Parameter Documentation. But again, you cannot leave the boundries of the Player's feature set.

thanks. i realize something that's not there can't be accessed. indubitably. needless to say. the confusion comes with multiple updates, multiple documents, and lots of forum posts. i also have never used midi much at all in the granular program-it-yourself sense. It's a lot to process and that's compounded by the fact that things are still evolving. the Player carries such a enigmatic vibe with it for me as well. because it seems like there's so much it purportedly can do and might do in the future. but such things aren't defined. we don't even know if we'll be paying into the evolution so we aren't left on the wrong side of the feature-gate. another uncertainty feeds the fire engulfing my brain which is still recovering from all of the trauma it endured during cancer treatment. I have all of the documentation and believe me, i've been trying to absorb it all. i really appreciate when seasoned people like yourself who know all of this stuff yield more definitive and direct answers for direct questions. can i manipulate the pitch from the pitch shifter (not pitch pedal) and the transpose? yes or no is so much more helpful than banishing me back into all the pages and words. have mercy! ^^

A basic expression pedal is likely to put out CC midi data (continuous control) and the parameters controllable by this are listed in the midi documentation (free download on the kemper site)

the slightly more "advanced/deeper" controls will need NRPN control (which consumes 3 or 4 CC controls) and not available to something like the CC input expression pedal on any of the kempers, to my knowledge. A slightly more sophisticated midi controller may give you access to NRPN controls, again these are covered in the midi documentation

thank you. this does help bolster what i am beginning to grasp. i wish i could dedicate more time to it but it's just not on the table for me anytime soon. X/

"No socks? No problem."

• BillyNoSocks as and example, can you confirm what you are seeking to do and what midi equipment do you have at your disposal.

And, is this for live or studio use? (a DAW with midi may do the trick at home but not practical on stage.

You wish to manipulate the pitch of the pitch effect? it may be in steps as opposed to a "whammy" style smooth pitch transition.

Explain further and lets see what solutions can be presented