I'm unsatisfied with the Double Tracker/Doubler

• As far as I can see, you are the only one who claims you can see the difference on a level meter. We can't. No one else mentioned it (as far as I can see). It's not true that _this_ is a known problem.

Here a screenshot of Cubase 13.

Recorded via SPDIF.

As we can see, there is a difference in Volume of the two channels.

Settings of the Double Tracker: Looseness 5.5, Stereo 100%

Settings of Rig: Panorama 0

Also attached the corresponding MP3 file.

Kemper_DT_Problem.zip

• Christoph Kemper explained the reason why the delayed side is 1.2 dB louder in another thread.

Here is a screenshot:

But here in this thread G String said, that both sides have the same Volume. (See first side of the thread)

He denied that there is any difference and nobody else than me could see any difference?

So what is true?

8o

• Somehow, I think the guy whose last name is the same as the company would be correct.

But that’s just me.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• New
    • Best Answer
    • Official Post

But here in this thread G String said, that both sides have the same Volume. (See first side of the thread)

He denied that there is any difference and nobody else than me could see any difference?

So what is true?

8o

The volume compensation in the double tracker is by design. If the right (delayed) signal level would not be 1.2 dB higher the human ear would perceive the left signal to be louder.

• i'm getting lost in the weeds here. now it seems that we are talking about the right side being louder? i thought we were discussing the left side being louder...

...but i just had a fantastic time reinstalling everything on my computer after the recent rains, winds, brown-outs, power-outs, and friggin' earthquakes (in New Jersey...wtf?) and im finally sitting here with just audacity monitoring this double tracker. i haven't compared the wave-forms since some time before March 22nd. at that time, i did view a difference but the initial replies led me to believe it was intentional so i didn't capture it. only when i read the reply that it might be an issue did i have cause for concern. i asked if that was a possibility but there was no confirmation for 8 days.

just now, ive tested a number of DT settings and i do not see that previous result nor any discernible difference in actual recorded volume. the designed perceivable difference is of course still there in headphones but im fully aware of the non-correlation between auditory components (what i hear, phase cancellation, delay, etc.) and what a wave-form readout says. the problem simply isn't there anymore.

i can no longer claim that i am experiencing this issue. take me off the short-list Kemper. maybe the earth will stop shaking now...

"No socks? No problem."

• i'm getting lost in the weeds here. now it seems that we are talking about the right side being louder? i thought we were discussing the left side being louder...

Correct. With both volumes being equal. your right ear will hear it louder (due to having a human brain). So, for better separation, you want the left louder knowing the right ear is more sensitive.

If you critically listen to music you will hear that the guitar always seems to be louder on the left in stereo mixes but your right ear is picking up more discernible tones. The Van Halen debut album is a great example because of the limited instruments played.

When doubling, you want the right side a little lower than the left or the right side will get too prominent and unbalance the mix. Of course, this is all learn-by-listening.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited 2 times, last by BayouTexan ().

• Correct. With both volumes being equal. your right ear will hear it louder (due to having a human brain). So, for better separation, you want the left louder knowing the right ear is more sensitive.

If you critically listen to music you will hear that the guitar always seems to be louder on the left in stereo mixes but your right ear is picking up more discernible tones. The Van Halen debut album is a great example because of the limited instruments played.

and here i thought that phenomenon was because i have more of a hearing loss in my right ear. documented, not assumed. :S

"No socks? No problem."

• G String

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • G String

Closed the thread.