Midi Captain STD controller with Kemper Player

• Out of curiosity, i picked up the midi captain and had a play. some good, some not so good and thought i'd share my experience with you all here:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

check out the geek mode at 2:40

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BTW i an not affiliated with the developer. Still awaiting his support response....

• thanks for showing that FX switching quirk. i haven't bought one of their products just yet but it's always nice to have a heads up for stuff like that. any comment on the scroll button? accurate/reliable?

"No socks? No problem."

• I can help you convey some questions, but I am currently unable to log in to YouTube. Can you tell me what problem you have encountered?

thanks for your assistance.

The issue that needs resolving is that if you have a switch assigned to toggle an effect block it does not reset/update when you select a new slot (send the next program change message)

Currently you can select a new slot (program change) then toggle a switch (CC value = 127 to engage delay/etc) but if you then choose a new slot (program change) the toggle state remains unchanged and in its last state. Therefore if you need to enable that effect in the new preset you first have to toggle OFF the switch (CC= 0 ) before you can toggle ON (CC=127) this is counter intuitive and requires unnecessary extra switch presses and also gives a false indication of the state of any effects on/off settings.

The solution would to be to reset set the state of the effect-toggle switch (make CC value = 0) upon sending a new program-change message, and resetting the state of the LED to reflection this.

The only work-around at present is to have one button to turn the effect on (CC=127) and a different button to turn the effect off (CC=0) but this takes up two buttons and does not give a full visual indication of the current state as it may require the LED to be set to [select] therefore affecting the slot-number switches that also use the [select] setting. (as shown in the "geek mode" part of the video.

PS

Do you have to be logged in to youtube to watch a youtube video?

• Sorry, my expression is incorrect.

Due to network policies, I am unable to access YouTube in my location

I have conveyed the issue you raised to Mr. Wilson and also sent a YouTube link at the same time

• Hello@slateboy

DR. Wilson has received a response, and the question you raised belongs to the issue that needs to be addressed by midicaptain STD regarding bidirectional communication in midi

At present, some switch state synchronization has been achieved on MIDI Captain MINI 6, and other issues need to be further optimized in the future.

• Hello@slateboy

DR. Wilson has received a response, and the question you raised belongs to the issue that needs to be addressed by midicaptain STD regarding bidirectional communication in midi

At present, some switch state synchronization has been achieved on MIDI Captain MINI 6, and other issues need to be further optimized in the future.

thanks for your reply and support. i also made contact with Wilson regarding this.

I appreciate the midi control is in one direction and that there are many possibilities that can not be covered.

To have two-way communication would be very complicated and not possible to implement for many devices, so I understand this is not the solution.

The Kemper player, for example does not send midi commands and would need system exclusive to attain the states, which is a big task requiring complex coding.

As it is now

As it is, the toggled switches are ignorant of any program-changes made and therefore means the midi captain has to then manually be reset to align with the device. Each program change (on the midi captain) does not need to remember the last state as loading a new preset (in this case on a kemper player) loads into the state that device (Kemper) was saved as.

Possible solution

A solution could be to set the initial state of a toggle-switch (or at least have the option to) on the midi captain upon sending a program-change rather than "remembering" its state ignorant of any preset-changes.

here's a demo of the kind of thing i believe how it should operate. Apologies if you are restricted from viewing this but it is a demo of the above text.

• Hello@slateboy

Midi Captain STD has the latest version of firmware (FW_10SW_KPP_SM4.0) released for KPP, which is very worth trying. If you are interested, you can request it from Mr. Wilson or send me your email privately, and I can share the firmware with you

• that would be nice. not sure how to private message people on these forums. Anyone know how?

Click on the username and navigate to the user Profile.

Under the three dots you will see ‚start conservation‘ (or similar, my Language is german☺️)

Kemper Profiler Player with Power Cabinet

• Unfortunately, after my testing (I received my midicaptain 10 switch version yesterday), there are still some issues with the latest firmware that need to be resolved, and we still need to wait. I believe it won't be too long

• Unfortunately, after my testing (I received my midicaptain 10 switch version yesterday), there are still some issues with the latest firmware that need to be resolved, and we still need to wait. I believe it won't be too long

thanks for the update. I will await the official release.

Could you share any video-demos of how its looking and the features available, please?

• 感谢您的更新。我将等待正式发布。

您能否分享一下它的外观和可用功能的视频演示?

Current situation

Key 1-4 correspond to StompA/B and DLY/REV modules respectively, Key4 calls tuner via long press at the same time,Key ^ is TAP.

The state and player of StompA/B and DLY/REV modules realize two-way communication

KeyABCDv are rig1-5,

KeyA and Keyv switch bank by long press

After switching banks, the color of each group of tone LED indicators is the same as the player

There are still some issues to be optimized, it will be done soon.

• That sounds great. The only thing i think would improve this is quick access (not a long press) to move between banks. In a live gig situation I can imagine many players wanting to jump multiple banks in between songs with limited time.

With the restriction of ten buttons I appreciate some compromise must be made so perhaps a combination of two-button press could offer other functionality?

• That sounds great. The only thing i think would improve this is quick access (not a long press) to move between banks. In a live gig situation I can imagine many players wanting to jump multiple banks in between songs with limited time.

With the restriction of ten buttons I appreciate some compromise must be made so perhaps a combination of two-button press could offer other functionality?

This is not a problem, long pressing to switch banks only takes 1 second to complete

We all agree that combining buttons will not be simpler or faster

• Alternatively, would using the buttons on the Kemper player for bank up/down interact with the midi captain?

I think this is also a problem with bidirectional communication. Dr. Wilson can fully implement it through programming, but the significance of doing so is not significant and may affect the operation of the system

Kemper did not actively send status information outward. If midicaptain sends requests to Kemper on a scheduled basis, the massive data flow will consume a lot of system resources

So, it's not wise to do this

Moreover, at midiCaptain's current pricing, there is no reason for it to do so much, is there? Haha