Player headphone noise??

• The Profiler Model referred to in this thread is ...
    ☑️ Profiler Player

Did a search but nothing specific came up.

I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that people are having issues with headphone noise in the Player. I have that annoying ground loop noise as well. I understand it's because of the ungrounded power supply, and the noise is non-existent when hooked to a grounded device, like a monitor or grounded laptop. My problem is I use a Microsoft Surface which also uses an ungrounded power supply, so the noise is always present.

My question is for those using an isolated power supply, or battery bank, do you still get the noise in headphones or does the grounded power supply, or lack of in the case of a battery, eliminate the ground noise?

• found a cheap solution, this is an external grounded power supply that avoids the hum

47 euro at Thomann

Mooer Power Adapter for GE300

I saw that in another thread, my question is more about using a battery or isolated power supply, like the Cioks SOL, and if they elimiate the buzz.

• The player needs 24 watts. That means 2 amps (2000ma) of current at 12v and 2.7A (2700ma) at 9v. It might work on less - but that’s a gamble.

Combining two of the 9v 660ma outs only gives you 1320. Less than half the recommended need.

You’d need a big battery to power it for any reasonable amount of time.

A 9v 2000mah battery will supply the needed current - but only for an hour. 4000 (2), 6000 (3) etc.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• All facts I'm aware of, but still doesn't tell me if it eliminates the buzz. For giggles, lets say I pony up for a DC7 and a Crux, that's 2000ma of power through a grounded pedal power supply. Will it eliminate the buzz? Or say I buy the 9V 25000mAH battery from Mission Engineering, plenty of power and longevity, will that eliminate the buzz?

• You suggested the Sol might work. It won’t.

If you were already aware of that fact, why ask?

You can’t have a ground loop with a battery and if the power supply is grounded you should be fine.

At the same time - you won’t know for certain until you plug it in.

If all you’re after is hum canceling, wouldn’t something as simple as a grounded spike bar work?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• New
    • Official Post

All facts I'm aware of, but still doesn't tell me if it eliminates the buzz. For giggles, lets say I pony up for a DC7 and a Crux, that's 2000ma of power through a grounded pedal power supply. Will it eliminate the buzz? Or say I buy the 9V 25000mAH battery from Mission Engineering, plenty of power and longevity, will that eliminate the buzz?

a grounded power supply will get rid of the buzz

• At the same time - you won’t know for certain until you plug it in.

this is unfortunately the reality. hum/buzz/noise is a very YMMV situation. what works on paper doesn't always work in your environment. over the last 25 years, i've had things be noisy when they should not have been and i've had things be quiet when they should not have been. it's maddening. but you have to try solutions with your gear with your setup in the places you play. hopefully, what should work works for you.

thankfully, i have had no noise issues with my Player so i just enjoying this moment in time. :D

"No socks? No problem."

• I've read multiple guys are using the Sol and it works fine, but that wasn't really the guts of my initial post. I was looking for someone that uses a grounded pedalboard power supply, or a battery power supply, and if that has eliminated the buzz through the headphone out (when using the supplied wall wart). I guess you misunderstood what information I was looking for. All good though, I'll try a couple things for myself, though I hate wasting money when someone could just verify results.

• this is unfortunately the reality. hum/buzz/noise is a very YMMV situation. what works on paper doesn't always work in your environment. over the last 25 years, i've had things be noisy when they should not have been and i've had things be quiet when they should not have been. it's maddening. but you have to try solutions with your gear with your setup in the places you play. hopefully, what should work works for you.

thankfully, i have had no noise issues with my Player so i just enjoying this moment in time. :D

I'm certain the ground loop noise is coming due to the ungrounded power supply (or so I've read). Just wanted some confirmation from guys who have eliminated it with a grounded power supply or a battery bank before I drop money on more gear.

• So, a bit of an update. Got home from work today after a 3 week out of town stretch, dug out the Truetone CS6, current doubler off the 2 500mA outputs, bam, powers up every time without issue. Best of all, the horrible headphone buzz is gone.

I also received the 25000mAH battery today, so thought I’d try that as well. Perfect! Powers up and no headphone buzz. Played for about an hour and it used up 5%, so I’d imagine you’d get roughly 20 or so hours from one charge, with just the player.

Anyway, cheers and hope this helps others.