why the fcb1010 isn't enough for wha/volume....

• I have an fcb1010 which works very well but there are many who say that you should avoid this machine.

Yes and no.

without changing the eprom, you can do everything the footcontroler does, for 6x less expensive and it remains compatible with all other machines. that alone makes it a must have.

the expression pedal part is "sufficient" and nothing more.

For what?

it does the job without being precise and this is due to the technology used:

The expression pedals are managed by an optical sensor (light) whose light beam depends on the color of the plastic it passes through. On paper, it's good but in reality, if you have dirt on the plastic, the pedal is distorted, moreover, the shade of black is not optimal, the reading of the midi language (0-127) is not precise and therefore you will not hear all the nuances of a wha for example.

now we have to put things into perspective.

You're not selling out stadiums and using another expression pedal won't make your band a world-renowned band.

So if you don't want to spend a fortune, take this fcb1010, it will be great!

For my part, I keep it but it is now replaced by a computer which changes our rigs automatically. So I switched to a “real” expression pedal.

• Its the programming - without an pc based editor - its too laborious - and this may be the prvailing opinion still.

I've got one with a 3rd party eprom which works in 'stompbox' mode and its really good. I rehoused it in a smaller box (and ditched the psu - it runs on pedalboard 9v) as the other issue is its size. Its reallly big.

• As a cheap alternative to the remote, the FCB1010 works and is good enough.

However, for me it had 5 main problems/disadvantages, all not a huge issue but collectively makes the remote " better". They are:

1) Less wires - I had to run power and 2 midi cables

2) Set up - you have to set it up, the remote is pure plug and play

3) Built in expression pedals - I have 3 now, but I can run up to four or none so the foot print is flexible. Its a choice rather than built in fixed. I also have a dedicted wah ( converted cry baby) which looks and works better than a general expression pedal

4) Limited display

5)...and this was the kicker for me - I often hit more than 1 switch by accident and the FCB1010 would get confused and do "odd" things. Its been a long time since I used one but I'm sure it used to cut the sound. The remote is much more sure footed and never cut the sound regardless of how heavy footed I am.

• 1) only one midi cable is enough with the fcb with no Ep-Room...
    2) you make one time a set up than cut/past for all switchs. it takes 20 min max to try, understand, make it. And you can use the controller with all midi gears.
    3) you have 2 pedals with the fcb, functional or not, depending on your configuration and you can always add 2 external pedals to the kempers
    4) who looks the display when people are front off you for your gig...
    5) I have NEVER touched 2 switches at the same time

• 1) only one midi cable is enough with the fcb with no Ep-Room...
    2) you make one time a set up than cut/past for all switchs. it takes 20 min max to try, understand, make it. And you can use the controller with all midi gears.
    3) you have 2 pedals with the fcb, functional or not, depending on your configuration and you can always add 2 external pedals to the kempers
    4) who looks the display when people are front off you for your gig...
    5) I have NEVER touched 2 switches at the same time

1) To get full functionlity you need 2 midi cables ( I think it was tuner mainly). Regardless you need separate power as well.

2) Not sure that is true when you set up new performances and want effects allocated to stomps but its been years so...

3) Yes, no option not to have them attached to the physical pedal.

4) All the time when changing performances or when switching on stomps. Also not sure if you can double tap for morph

5) Then you are lucky or way more precise than I am.

My point is, its an OK lower value option. It doesn't offer much over a regular midi switcher. For me, the remote is so much easier and worth every penny. In spending £1500+ on a profiler, spending a few hundred pounds on a remote is a no brainer.

• 1) with no Ep-Rom, only 1 cable, you can see the tuner on the fcb screen; so you doesn't need a second cable.

2)you can make switch 1-10 for performances switching or 1-5 performances switching and 6-10 stomp on/off for exemple.
    3) ok but you can add 2 switchs
    4) no double tap / loop. but you can use the exp pedal to morph
    5) lucky probably ;)

but the main theme was the use of expression pedals which are often criticized on this fcb without explaining the why and how, that's what I wanted to do in my initial post.

• 1) with no Ep-Rom, only 1 cable, you can see the tuner on the fcb screen; so you doesn't need a second cable.

2)you can make switch 1-10 for performances switching or 1-5 performances switching and 6-10 stomp on/off for exemple.
    3) ok but you can add 2 switchs
    4) no double tap / loop. but you can use the exp pedal to morph
    5) lucky probably ;)

but the main theme was the use of expression pedals which are often criticized on this fcb without explaining the why and how, that's what I wanted to do in my initial post.

So I agree that the FCB1010 aint bad, but the dedicated footswitch is a few hundred pounds more but gives a better interface.

I use switch morph exclusively, not pedal changes ( as I don;t need the variation, I need a singular boost) so that is big for me.

My point about set up is if I want to assign singular or multiple set of effects to a particular switch its "press and hold" on the remote vs having to set it up on the KPA ( I think/assume its possible).

Yes you get tuner but its not easy to read...

Anyway my view in summary is if you need a live controller, the FCB1010 works and is pretty good, but if you can afford to spend a few hundred pounds ( which if you gig regularly is totally worth it), then I would always recommend the remote :)