internal tube screamer sound awful

• Not the easiest fix in the world, but, I'd like to see people continue making ( like you jeffTD) high gain profiles with a boost in the signal chain, so for those that feel the internal boosts aren't as good, it would be a non issue. Sounds like a" duh" point, but just a reminder of sorts.

• I have just started with the Kemper and the TubeScreamer was definitely something that I use often with my regular guitar set up. Having read the complaints about the Green Screamer not being usable at all, I was warned. However, I read the hint that the Tone Control in the Green Screamer only sticks to the real Tube Screamer from -5 to 0 (minus 5 to zero). Keeping that in mind and knowing that the real Tube Screamer can deliver some very nasty sounds, I dialed in a nice sound or two or three. It's pretty easy. Yet, when you set the tone control to let's say +2 it's definitely getting awful (why this option is possible at all will stay a secret). Another thing that you all should keep in mind is the quality of the profile you are using. I find (like many others I have read in the forum) that the profile qualities differ a lot. I mean if you use a well meant but not really good sounding profile as the basis of your sound, the Green Screamer will highlight the negative quality of the profiled amp. So make sure that you start off with a good profile (I find that the Princeton profiles done by Tyler are very good for the screamer for blues sounds). Whether you can use the screamer to smoothen a harsh Big Muff, I can't say, because I haven't really tried it yet. But bear in mind, that the 808 isn't really the best option in the real world for that. Most people go for something like a modded BD-2 or a Colorsound clone. So the Green Screamer (and the OD 808 ) might not work. Yet, the Green Screamer itself is almost 100% what I know of my Maxon OD 808, so everything's fine.

• I read the hint that the Tone Control in the Green Screamer only sticks to the real Tube Screamer from -5 to 0 (minus 5 to zero). Yet, when you set the tone control to let's say +2 it's definitely getting awful (why this option is possible at all will stay a secret).

The Tone control does not have further impact on values 0.0 to 5.0. It does not go beyond the tone of the original, sonically spoken.
    There is no difference in setting it to 2.0, 0.0 or 5.0, all these values will sound like the original tone control set to max.

• My Kemper arrived yesterday and cost me the best part of a night of sleep, couldn't let it go before 2am :P

I've been following this thread with great interest since a TS is a fundamental part of many of my favorite tones, so one of the first things I did when I got my hands on my KPA was to test the GS. Set it to what's familiar to me, drive around 2-3, tone at 5-6 and volume at 5-6. So the only parameter I had to "translate" was the tone control, which I set around -2.5. To my ears it sounds very close to my own TS, if not right on the spot (haven A/B'd them). The bottom line is, it's a perfectly usable stompbox and I'm very happy with it.

Now I wonder if the OP is aware how more pronounced the mid hump in this pedal gets when you set the tone at zero, have you tried setting it to -2.5 which would be equivalent to the tone knob set at noon in the real pedal?

• The Tone control does not have further impact on values 0.0 to 5.0. It does not go beyond the tone of the original, sonically spoken.
    There is no difference in setting it to 2.0, 0.0 or 5.0, all these values will sound like the original tone control set to max.

Granted, CK - it doesn't matter whether you set to 0 or 2 or 5 - doesn't change the sound anymore. (Yet, it still is not clear to me why there's the possibility to dial in a value that doesn't do anything). What I was trying to communicate to the people who are in doubt of the GreenScreamer is that they shouldn't hesitate to dial in minus values. I find that this is something a musician and a guitarist at that doesn't like to do - probably because MINUS sounds like "loss of something" - and we guitarists tend to not do that. That's my humble thought on the psychology of the value control. - As far as the Greenscreamer is concerned, I am still happy with it, as I was before.

• haven't been read all thread, but did you tried different guitars ?
    some of my guitars simply did not liked TS , but some liked it a lot ! ;)

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)