RCF NX 12 SMA... Powerful enough for low tuning/7 string metal?

• At the moment, I run a mackie hd1531 for FRFR, and it is fantastic. Loud, sounds huge, just insanely powerful and the bottom stays together like no 4x12 I've ever used. However, I keep hearing how fantastic the rcf monitor is, just absolutely nothing but praise. Really interested if it's worth it, given what I use my KPA with now, and if it will stay together and be loud enough and not fart out when playing 7 string style metal with a band? There is one for sale locally to me and I'm tempted to snag it.

• Ain't broken? Don't fix it. :D if you're happy with what you have, just keep it. I suspect the 15" speaker is making the difference for you.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Wouldn't you have the possibility to try it taking your KPA there? You would of course expect to have to tweak your rigs a bit, but I'm convinced that you can't decide to spend such figures by just Internet rumours :|

• Compared to your mackie hd1531 the RCF NX12SMA shouldn't be a huge improvement. If you're happy with your tone keep playing the mackie :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• I play one RCF NX 12 SMA. It is nice and because of the coaxial horn position it is very even and clear all around the room. But it is not really as loud as a 4x12 stack. On my first gigs with my loud band I really dimed it and the sound was cool but it immediately was stinking a bit like scorching electronics! It is only 700 Watts and (more important) the coil of the horn is only 1". That is not made for yelling that loud! Your Mackie hd1531 is rated 1800 Watts - that's more than double if my maths are right. And the horn coil is 1,75". I was talking to an engineer at RCF and he recommended me the TT45-SMA for really tough usage. It is two 12" speakers and 1500 Watts but it also is around 3000 Euros!!!

The engineer also explained to me that digital poweramps can break a speaker much more easily (even at levels lower than maximum!) than what we know from the old class A/B technology. So when a loud stage sound is important for you I would also recomend to stay with the Mackie, it has two big advantages for you:

• 1800 Wattz
    • you have it already

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I play one RCF NX 12 SMA...
    ....the coil of the horn is only 1".

For the record, the horn exit of the NX12SMA is 1" but the voice coil diameter is 1.7". Also, the amp rating of the Mackie is "peak". If RCF used the same formula the NX12SMA would be rated at 1400w.