Might take the plunge: RCF NX 12SMA

• So I've been dying to try this thing out, after everyone I hear swears by the thing, on the fractal forums, and here as well. My rig: VHT 2902 power amp, VHT deliverance 4x12, and when I want FRFR I do Have a mackie hd 1531, which kicks ass for sure, however it is huge, and heavy as hell. The KPA has made me lazy that's for sure!!! Haha.

Anyways, a guy is interested in trading my VHT Poweramp for the RCF. Now, I already have the mackie, but the gripes about it above. The VHT Poweramp/4x12 only gets played at home, as I like FRFR live to hear what people are "really" hearing, which is impossible to do with the VHT setup. Part of the reason im justifying getting rid of the vht poweramp: thats alot of power and money tied up only for home use in my opinion.I am nervous to do this, however Everyhing about the rcf seems awesome, nothing but 100 percent positive reviews. Also, I could always sell my mackie and by another VHT Poweramp if I feel the need, and miss my Poweramp ( which, I kind of am afraid I might) so whose using the RCF? Thoughts? Opinions on my situation? Thanks!

• Common sense would of course suggest you try one before purchasing it, or look for a good money back solution. If you're in doubt, you probably can't do either...
    OTOH, I'd not rely on the RCF to have a feeling about what audience is hearing: FRFR is just a claim, and every PA in the world have got their own sound. Chances are that in most cases you RCF will sound better than the PA, ans for sure different.
    I'd also consider the 10" version: good enough for guitar anyway (unless you plan to use it as a PA itself), less power (which can help in small rooms) and lower price ;)

• Thanks! Trying the RCF is impossible here in the states, it just isn't going to happen. However, they seem to be in extremely high demand in our world here, and pretty easy to sell from what I've seen. The 10 inch might be am option, however I play metal, 7 string guitars etc, so that extra bass response from the 12 is something I would like. This would be used as my own personal monitor on stage, and at band practice only, never to carry my sound at a gig. Very good points about FRFR as well, the rcf would probably sound better and different than the house PA....

• I use it and I can recomend it. It is not as strong as your Mackie! But for playing at home it is certainly more than enough of watts. I use an AER compact at home - the RCF is a bit too boomy for room level practice.

If you play other FRFR live it might be clever too take a bit more time to choose the right thing for monitoring at home. I am shure there will be lots of new solutions coming up soon. Take a look at the RCF TT08.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I play metal, 7 string guitars etc, so that extra bass response from the 12 is something I would like. This would be used as my own personal monitor on stage, and at band practice only, never to carry my sound at a gig.

Ah - I see. No RCF TT08 then. For monitoring NX 12SMA would work. For band practice better two of them. Or the RCF NX -15SMA. But what is so wrong about your Mackie?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Ah - I see. No RCF TT08 then. For monitoring NX 12SMA would work. For band practice better two of them. Or the RCF NX -15SMA. But what is so wrong about your Mackie?

Nothing really "wrong " with it per say, just heavy as hell, (and it SOUNDS heavy as hell too :D) and extremely cumbersome to move. Also, like I said the VHT only gets use at home. Big powerful expensive Poweramp just for home use in my opinion. I'm a big dude ( 6'4 245lbs), but it doesn't mean I want to carry that thing all over! Haha. It does sound fantastic though, no complaints there. If the RCF sounds THAT much better, I'm not against getting one. I'm all about the tone (arent we all). Has anyone compared the rcf 12nxsma to the mackie HD series by any chance?

• Thanks! Trying the RCF is impossible here in the states, it just isn't going to happen.

... Are you far away from the famous dude (talked about on TGP) who sells them in the USA at the lowest price? You might think of visiting him... :|

The 10 inch might be
    am option, however I play metal, 7 string guitars etc, so that extra
    bass response from the 12 is something I would like.

I see where you're coming from. Nevertheless, the two issues might be less related than you may think. Give the 10" a shot if you have the opportunity, I feel you won't regret it ;)

(Note: coming from the Mackie, chances are you'll at first find that the RCF (any of them) lacks in punch, because of its linearity. Takle the time to get accustomed to its personality :)

• If you like the Mackie I would stay with it, I don't think the RCF is going to do a better job in your case.....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• if you're in the budget you might want to try the rcf tt 25 sma. i preferred it a lot over the nx series... for real hardcore use there's the 45 sma, but this one again is heavy & expensive.

• Been reading allot about FRFR and its sometimes not easy reading through all the different posts on different forums (atomic,RFC, etc).

I'm playing through my monitors (crappy m audio 5xa) or through my Mesa 50/50 with 2 rocktron cabs (not so bad, but a bit muddy and not so good at lower volumes).

After reading all the stories about the RCF, i'm not sure what would be the best option for me. I'm leaning towards a blue amp CF, also a FRFR, but for that price i could get a RCF NX 10SMA.

My question is, would the 10" be enough. And i don't mean for volume. But soundwise. Will i get the same experience like with the 12?

Sorry, i'm very new to all this (old drummer her :)) and its sometimes very confusing.

I need something that is easy to work with (not to many dials :)) and sounds great on any volume.

• I can't speak for the RCF NX 10SMA, but I have a pair of RCF ART310A's, and I'm very happy with them. As usual, YMMV, but for the price, I don't think these can be beat. Whatever you're looking at, I suggest contacting Mike Pyle [email protected] for a quote. Nice fellow and good prices.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Main differences are the mid-woofer's size (10" vs. 12"), the power (400 W vs. 700 W) and the weight (36 lb vs. 32 lb). The shape is the same, the 12" being 10 cm larger. The tweeter's size is 2.5" for both.

And yes, I believe the smaller woofer won't affect a guitar player's performance :)

• My question is, would the 10" be enough?

This depends a lot on

• what sound you do (drop down 7 string metal or telly country chickin pickin or ...) i.e. how loud you plan and how much low end punch you expect at loud levels.

• and, even more important, if you want to use it as monitor (in front of you, facing away from the audience) or a real projection into the room without PA (behind you, like a traditional guitar amp).

www.audiosemantics.de