Any good Expression Pedals?

• I use the BOSS FV-500-H a lot for volume control. It is nice but after very few months of (heavy) use it started to go irregular. So there are always bumps and jumps in the fades. I can cure it by applying KONTAKT cleaning spray to the internal pot but this only lasts for a short while and then the irregular fades come back. The enclosure is really nice, sturdy metal but inside the resistance is made by a classical potentiometer just like almost any other cheapo plastic pedal I know. But here this pot is a special construction that is soldered onto a PCB - so no way to repair or replace it when it starts to go bumpy. This pot inside is the glass jaw on many EXP pedals on the market.

Note that with a Y-cable you can use any volume pedal as an expression pedal! This widenes up the choice a bit. Sadly it is not possible to use (really) active volume pedals (i.e. pedals that spot a buffer amp at the input and at the output). Most really high quality volume pedals, like for example the HILTON, are fitted with such buffers. But don't let you be fooled when some brands call their pedals "active" or "passive" - this is irritating marketing and does not mean that the pedal is active by any means.

I tested a MORLEY PVO PLUS which functions fine with the KPA but it is absolutley unacceptable for me. I really dislike these Morley pedals for decades now. They have such a big lot of leeway (one third at the beginning and one third at the end - so only the centre third is usable pedal movement!) and it's angle is only ergonomic for playing standing up.

And I had several ERNIE BALL which are a bid hard to move if you want sensitive fades but for all the rest it is the best I can recommend.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited 2 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• Well the mission engineering pedals seem to be liked, my recently acquired sp-1 does the job, the tension is adjustable and you can replace some parts pretty easily. They have a KPA model now, but what that means who knows, An ep model in Kemper green? See the post for yourself in the user and dealer network categorie.

I'd link it but can' seem to do it ;(

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• They have a KPA model now, but what that means who knows, An ep model in Kemper green?

Can't find it on the site of Mission Engineering .

But here it is called EP1-KP-GN and it's green indeed!

Looks like the usual cogwheel+pot construction like any other cheap pedal.

and you can replace some parts pretty easily.

Can you replace the pot easily?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited 2 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• I've got the moog ep-3. It's reasonably cheap and works very well.

Same here. I'm not a big pedal user so it serves my purposes just fine.

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.