CAB Maker IRs files (GuitarHack, etc...)

• I finally got a chance to mess with this last night and loaded up a few of my favorite IRs that I used with the GSP1101 as well as the James Santiago EJ pack. One of the things I hated about the GSP1101 was sorting through thousands of IRs to find a handful which worked. Fortunately those that worked offered a pretty significant improvement in tone. My experience with the KPA thus far is pretty much the opposite. It was cool loading some of the "weird" IRs miced in nontraditional manners, I could definitely see me using stuff like that for overdubs and/or spots where I want something off the wall...but in most cases the IR didn't sound as good as the stock profile cab. YMMV...

• i tried the Metallica pack and thought it was pretty good,certainly some of them are useable.

The tone-matched Metallica by Tills and Silentundergroundstudios is superior to the IRs though. To me, it's like the difference between listening to an MP3 and, say, a wave file. You can hear that information, like MP3s, is omitted in the IRs. Sonically, the profiled cabs are much more rich and robust. I've tried several dozen high gain IRs, but they are unlistenable to me after playing through profiled cabs. I would rather tweak, tweak, tweak all day, an existing cab, than play with IRs! Kemper trumps all! :thumbup:

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• [quote='londonjeepster',index.php?page=Thread&postID=67248#post67248] Sonically, the profiled cabs are much more rich and robust. I've tried several dozen high gain IRs, but they are unlistenable to me after playing through profiled cabs. I would rather tweak, tweak, tweak all day, an existing cab, than play with IRs! Kemper trumps all! :thumbup:

This is why I submitted in this forum an idea of a new cab driver which allows to mix one cab profile with wav IR. The best of both worlds IMHO

• Yes, mixing cabs within the Kemper would extend the tonal pallete infinitely. That would be exciting. It would seem too much of a boon to the Kemper, for the team not to implement this idea.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• Hello CK,

Does the CAB Driver work even when hooked to the computer via Spdif ?

Gor God's Cab, they use the poweramp of a Peavey 6505.

Yes it does.

Anyway, we'll have to change the way the cabs are imported by a bit.
    Id a cab sounds lifeless to you, please bring the bass up and middle down to bring it into shape.

• I disagree.

The current "Kemper cab" already covers the tonal palette, why would the addition of an inferior IR extend that palette "infinitely"?

Well, what CK said is really important. I did a few tests and came also to the conclusion, that the Cab Maker does not work 100% accurate at the moment, because the EQ curve is changed quite a bit. So i am afraid that the results, which were a little bit behind the expectations, cannot really be judged at the moment. Wait for a new version to come out and then we will see. I still think we will get some great results out of imported IRs. What i really like about those collections like from Red Wirez is the way they often are organized. You have your cab, categorized into the mics used and then the distances and positions in relation to the speaker. Though 90% might completely nonsense for most users, this is a very scientific approach that i like. It´s really those fine nuances that can make a difference.

Mixing IRs is another point. I think it´s very useful and absolutely makes sense in the same way as does mixing speakers in a cab.

• I disagree.

The current "Kemper cab" already covers the tonal palette, why would the addition of an inferior IR extend that palette "infinitely"?

I meant being able to blend onboard Kemper profiled cabs+amps i.e. a Marshall JCM800 + a Mesa MKII. I remain unimpressed with IRs so far, but I am still playing with them.

• Well, what CK said is really important. I did a few tests and came also to the conclusion, that the Cab Maker does not work 100% accurate at the moment, because the EQ curve is changed quite a bit. So i am afraid that the results, which were a little bit behind the expectations, cannot really be judged at the moment. Wait for a new version to come out and then we will see. I still think we will get some great results out of imported IRs. What i really like about those collections like from Red Wirez is the way they often are organized. You have your cab, categorized into the mics used and then the distances and positions in relation to the speaker. Though 90% might completely nonsense for most users, this is a very scientific approach that i like. It´s really those fine nuances that can make a difference.

Mixing IRs is another point. I think it´s very useful and absolutely makes sense in the same way as does mixing speakers in a cab.

That's what has been posted on FAF :

This thread has been deleted since.(this is a copy i posted on a french forum)
    It seems to me that there is a difference between the Axe-Fx and Lepou Lecab though i never compared with a record.

• Well, what CK said is really important. I did a few tests and came also to the conclusion, that the Cab Maker does not work 100% accurate at the moment, because the EQ curve is changed quite a bit. So i am afraid that the results, which were a little bit behind the expectations, cannot really be judged at the moment. Wait for a new version to come out and then we will see. I still think we will get some great results out of imported IRs. What i really like about those collections like from Red Wirez is the way they often are organized. You have your cab, categorized into the mics used and then the distances and positions in relation to the speaker. Though 90% might completely nonsense for most users, this is a very scientific approach that i like. It´s really those fine nuances that can make a difference.

I understand.

But, in the last decade if there was such a thing as Till's IRs, they'd be the biggest selling IRs in history.
    Actually, it's not possible, and IR can't capture all that you captured in your cabs...correct?

I'll wait for the Cab Maker to be perfect ,and if the two cabs at once scenario ever becomes a reality, I want to see how adding an IR to one of your cabs is going to infinitely increase the tonal palette...I have my doubts. :)