SWART v2-6.0, TUNGSTEN v2-5.0

• I've done more profiles in increasing gain.

It is better to go:
    Push Gain Profile ----> Gain Down ----> Volume Up if you want a distortion and clean that responds like the amp.

Doing this:
    Clean Profile ----> Gain Up --- is more indicative of Kemper's gain structure than the amps gain structure. So if you pick a clean, stay on it.

If you need versatility, grab a higher gain to start with and roll it back.

So enjoy the Volk's Profiles!

• I will check into that. Do a few parameters with mic movement.

I have 1 SM57 that is 12" from the grill and a Fat Head II about 3' from the grill.

I read that Greg V did this with the Fat Head II about 5', so I'll try that (I was concerned with getting too much room)

But you may be right. Thanks for the heads up!

• Great amps!
    I think there is a problem with the volumes of miking of the various rigs, especially the swart:
    do not have the right progression, I think they're pretty random.

Thanks anyway for your work :)

Edited 2 times, last by archverb ().

• Great amps!
    I think there is a problem with the volumes of miking of the various rigs, especially the swart:
    do not have the right progression, I think they're pretty random.

Thanks anyway for your work :)

Ok, you have to be more specific. What I did was increase the volume, so v2, 3, 4, 5 on one amp is Volume at 3, 7, 8.5, Full open and on the other amp v2,3,4,5,6 is Volume level is 3, 7, 8.5, 10, & 12 (full open, and yes, it goes to 12)

Also, after explaining what you mean by random (so I can address it in my remakes) also suggest a better naming convention that will fit in the space.

it appears to me that the two mics you use have some phasing issues. all your profiles have a slightly thin and hollow character.
    Have you tried profiling the simple way with just one mic?

just my thoughts...thanks for sharing!

8)

Ok, I've done some looking into this. I will retry profiles with 2 setups. One will be 2 SM57's going front and back about 8 inches each. The other will be SM57 at a 45 degree angle facing the bottom rim on the grill and a TLM103 in the room, padded, about 6 feet high and 5 feet away. This is the arrangement Greg V used I think (or close enough, dynamic on grill, condenser 5 feet away on the Crema Wheat)

Which ever combination I like on the volume at 7 (where Crunch begins on these amps) I will stick with that arrangement and feel around for phase issues.

Thanks, both of you for addressing things, and for others, be as painfully specific as you can, so I know what you mean and can act accordingly to "fix" it if possible.

• If you mic front and back at the same distance you will have to phase align before profiling.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Ok, you have to be more specific.....

Hi
    I was referring to the volumes of the profiles and not to those you have chosen for the amplifier, which I think are excellent.
    The results are not always in relation to the volumes of the amplifier, eg. 2.3 swart sounds stronger than the swart 3.0, and 5.0 stronger than 6.0.
    It almost seems that the profiling return level is not constant for all profiles.

A good way to avoid phase cancellation, is to move the mics until you find the highest cancellation,
    it is much easier to find the maximum cancellation that not the slightest.
    After enough to invert the phase of one of the two mic on the mixer or on the daw ;)

Edited 2 times, last by archverb ().

• I'll do a front/back with SM57's to know that 's not out of phase.

Thanks for the feed back. I'll change the naming convention to CLEAN (If I can get it) CRUNCH, PUSH and FULL and if there is a variation on effects, I'll use either the version number, or a "+" if there's a difference on the volume inbetween those categories.

I'll try the TLM103 on one just to see if I like the profile better or worse.

I'm working on it now this afternoon.

• Ahh, I gotta laugh.

There is no phasing issues with my other uploads. I was using the "BRIGHT" channel, my favorite channel, so things sound more treble and I can see where that's associated with the thinness of phasing.

I re-recorded a bright channel on clean, and a Normal channel on both Clean and a Crunch setting.

I've also, for my own research, recorded them with the phase button switched, and in a few different positions.

So, I can tell if I got phasing. I DO notice that my profiles do benefit from upping the Bass, Mid and Presence to more closely match my amp's real sound. But that's not to get around phasing, since I'm hearing my own amp through the same microphones.

Sooo, Hope you enjoy. Still open to suggestions. I'm not comfortable yet with doing heavier settings on Normal as to me it sounds muddier than on the Bright channel and I don't like it.

• Hi db9091, just had a chance to play through your Swart profiles.

They seem to have a hollowness that may be a phase issue as mentioned ( but I know very little about such things) but having said that I absolutely love them. Backing off the gain a touch on V4 is bliss on the bridge humbucker of my HSS Strat.

Please continue on your endeavours as many fully grown men will smile.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I will remain to be seen, but I find bright and/or treble oriented guitars track better in a mix than full bodied ones.

Often on those guitars I'm placing EQ all over them, carving out space for voice, taking off anything below 250hz, etc.

We will see. All I CAN say, is it, to my now deaf ears, sounds like the amp to me. I've recorded a bunch of different positions and switched the preamps phase switch this way and that and assume the position with MORE bottom end is in fact the less phased one.

Well, as long as it's enjoyable and/or usable.

• there are infinite levels between in and out of phase. If your mics deliver signals 30% out of phase and you switch the phase on one of your preamps, the result will be 70% out of phase. the first setting seems to be better, but it´s 30% from perfect! ;)

you hardly can avoid some out of phase effects by using more than one mic. sometimes it can lead to good results. But as soon as this typical hollow sound is there, your too far from "acceptable"

therefore my wish for a one mic profile, which will probably tell more about the amp!

• I did initial profiles with one SM57 and got 1 star. Maybe because I didn't drip them heavy with reverb, stereo enhancer, etc which is preferred by many here who probably don't record. (I say this because I'd rather have a dry signal and add effects during mixing to suit)

That said, I could try just the TLM103 and SM57 again in a different position to try to get more of the cone edge.

• Lol! No, I didn't think it entirely got the higher end, so I went back and used a second mic.

THEN it sounded like my amp and I still got one star. Then it bothered me! ;)

You're right though, only those with this amp know what it sounds like, so I gotta go by that.

All my initial profiles were on the "Bright" channel. So I can see where it might not be liked. I have both I put up.

If it has a version like N1.0 is the "Normal" channel and if it's version B1.0 it's "Bright". If it has neither, it's "Bright".

• For now, I've been playing your new rigs only with the Telecaster, and my impression is that keeping them totally dry, with eq. Off and Efx Stereo Widener Off, they sound much better.

Thank you for your time.

• That's the way I set them up, dry with a Telecaster.

I like to record dry. But others like them wet as rigs. I agree, you gotta play to suit your situation and guitar!