Flat response speakers any suggestions?

• Ok, I like what I hear from the KPA-SOLUTIONS Camper 112 and 212 (the non FRFR versions) and I was wondering if I could find some similar speakers to put in my Avatar 212 cab? Maybe KPA-Solutions could sell just the speakers or is there other alternative? I would use one of their poweramp in the back of my KPA.

Pierre

Edited once, last by Pick909 ().

• A cab must be tuned for the speakers, why you just don't use their one? There is also a passive version if you prefer to have the amp in the KPA. The build quality is excellent!

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yes, I meant flat response sorry... I'm sure that their cabs are A1 but just wanted to learn about all the alternatives, if there is choice of flat response speakers on the market. All of this is new to me!

• The fact is that the overall response in a cab is due to several design elements. The cones in themselves are not sufficient to grant FR (or FRFR). You may want to read Jay Mitchell's posts on TGP and Fractal about these issues: if you find the subject amazing - like I do - you'll find they're quite enlightening!

• The fact is that the overall response in a cab is due to several design elements. The cones in themselves are not sufficient to grant FR (or FRFR). You may want to read Jay Mitchell's posts on TGP and Fractal about these issues: if you find the subject amazing - like I do - you'll find they're quite enlightening!

Thanks! I'll check!

• Yes, I meant flat response sorry... I'm sure that their cabs are A1 but just wanted to learn about all the alternatives, if there is choice of flat response speakers on the market. All of this is new to me!

The Beyma 12GA50 is a 12" Full Range loudspeaker, frequency response is 70Hz-18kHz. Someone on the forum uses it in a Tech 21 cab, I believe.

• The Beyma 12GA50 is a 12" Full Range loudspeaker, frequency response is 70Hz-18kHz. Someone on the forum uses it in a Tech 21 cab, I believe.

Thanks yarzo! I'm more looking for flat response speakers (I changed the thread name accordingly) which would sound more like a real guitar cab but with cab sim on. I don't know if the Beyma would do it well, I will make a little research.

Edited 2 times, last by Pick909 ().

• Hi,

Matrix make some great speakers, both powered and not, I have 2 CFR12's and a GT1500FXBD Power Amp. I use this with my KPA and AxeFX 2. Hands down the best rig I've owned and I've played many amps and owned or tested most of the forum favourite monitors.

Why the Matrix speakers? Not only are they FRFR but they feel like a guitar cab which is a big factor when switching to an FRFR rig. Many PA speakers, IMHO, don't give that cab vibe and you therefore feel that something is missing. Matrix was the missing link for me.

Here is the link Matrix Guitar Amplification

Drop me a line if you have any further questions?

Spence

• I'm more looking fo flat response speakers (I changed the thread name accordingly) which would sound more like a real guitar cab but with cab sim on.

That's a contradiction.
    Any guitar speaker will always colour and no flat response speaker sounds like a typical guitar cab.

• Thanks spence! I'm aware of Matrix products and I'm happy to hear that they give the guitar cab feel, it's what I'm looking for! :D

• Thanks spence! I'm aware of Matrix products and I'm happy to hear that they give the guitar cab feel, it's what I'm looking for! :D

:) I seem to harp on about it all the time but the FEEL of a guitar cab does not relate to the tone or frequency response it's how they behave when you play them, what they give you back if you like. I find that the majority of products that have not been designed for guitar amplification can feel sterile (it's not a great word but it's the only one I can think of) they are sort of stiff and not rewarding and as such you don't get THAT feel. The Matrix are FRFR, cab sims on and they both feel and sound great!

Spence

• Isn't it the purpose of making cabs like the Camper 112 and 212? ?(

Camper 112 and 212 don't use guitar speaker but non- colouring broadband speakers, only that they are not full range.
    It's true though that they bear more similarity to guitar speakers (in that the top end is not so pronounced). This was clearly revealed during the shootout I did a while ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFGzxD3OJI

• Camper 112 and 212 don't use guitar speaker but non- colouring broadband speakers, only that they are not full range.
    It's true though that they bear more similarity to guitar speakers (in that the top end is not so pronounced). This was clearly revealed during the shootout I did a while ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFGzxD3OJI

The mustang sounds good but it is not a fair shootout considering that you use the monitor out cab sim off for this amp so what we hear IS a guitar cab ;) , can the mustang well reproduce cab sims? Between the two others I prefer the Camper though.

• Pick, the thing is that the Mustang is not meant to reproduce your signal neutrally, and, like any guitar speaker, it doesn't sound too good with cab sim on.

But to me shootout showed that what you get with a guitar speaker with monitor out + cab off is as equally as good as with a FRFR solution with cab sim on.
    And still you get the differences of using different cabs in the KPA, that's the genius of cabdriver.

Therefore I don't consider this unfair but revealing.
    Remember the cabdriver feature was brand new then.

For my personal taste and also the guys in my band the Camper was a bit too muffled in the top end and I preferred the Atomic.

But my ultimate consequence of the shootout was this: sell the Atomic and use the Mustang.

Since the implementation of cabdriver I don't consider FRFR mandatory any longer and I encouraged anybody to strongly consider it instead of FRFR.