Reamping through SPDIF: bad tone

• like the title says, i'm having difficulties setting up the kemper with my m-audio profire 610 interface for reamping.

the DI signal is reamped through the kemper and the gain seems unaltered. the reamped track sounds weird.the low end sounds different and has some clipping. the reamped signal also lacks highs/treble in comparison to the SDPIF out signal recorded without reamping...

here's my recording chain:

guitar -> kemper front input

kemper direct out -> line-in of interface (profire)

SPDIF in/out connected between kemper and interface

reamping procedure:

1. i record the DI guitar using the kemper's direct-out, which goes into 'input 3' of my interface (line-in)

2. set up the kemper's input for SPDIF

3. set another track for the reamped signal coming from the 'SPDIF out' of the kemper ('input 5' on my interface)

4. record a new track from 'input 5' (reamped) while simulatenously playing the DI track from 'input 3'

i'll gladly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction since i obviously must be doing something wrong here :)

cheers!
    christian

Edited once, last by kojak_ ().

• i made some progress, i think.

instead of using the line-in inputs on my Maudio profire 610 interface, i conected the direct-out from the kemper to the normal mic/instrument inputs with adjustable gain. the sound is now closer to recording directly through SPDIF.

i guess that the preamps/converters on my interface are adding some coloration to the recorded tone. maybe it's time for investing in a more transparent interface...

• Direct out to instrument in is correct, but why you don't just use the spdif? It would save you a conversion and you would skip the colouring of the Interface preamp (the culprit, IMO)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Direct out to instrument in is correct, but why you don't just use the spdif? It would save you a conversion and you would skip the colouring of the Interface preamp (the culprit, IMO)

i'd actually much rather use the SPDIF out for recording the DI track. I use the SPDIF out to record normally since it sounds better than with the additional AD/DA conversion step.

the reason i'm using the 'direct out' on the kemper is because i want to be able to use the kemper for monitoring as well.

is it possible to record a DI track through the SPDIF out on the kemper while simultaneously playing through a profile for monitoring?

thanks!

• is it possible to record a DI track through the SPDIF out on the kemper while simultaneously playing through a profile for monitoring?

Off course: press Master go to page 1 and turn the spdif knob to Git/Stack or Git/mod dependng on where you want to pick the processed signal. You'll have to add stereo FXs, delay and reverb from DAW

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Off course: press Master go to page 1 and turn the spdif knob to Git/Stack or Git/mod dependng on where you want to pick the processed signal. You'll have to add stereo FXs, delay and reverb from DAW

wow, this is great. thanks!

i'll try this out later today and see if it fixes my issues :)

• Be sure to select 2 mono S/PDIF inputs instead of 1 stereo input in your interface software. Then mute the DI channel for monitoring :)

Btw... does anyone know why we can't have a Git Dry/Master Mono "Output Preset"? Not enough DSP power?

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• does anyone know why we can't have a Git Dry/Master Mono "Output Preset"? Not enough DSP power?

Nope, CK thought that was a bad idea to have Del and Rev in mono, and anyway almost nobody tracks wet (you cannot change it anymore)

• i found the same result as kojak did, my playback DI reamped track are fatter and rounder (sounds better) than my new recorded reaped track that is lack of lows and thin sounding
    using presonus firestudio mobile
    44.1 hz sample rate and 16 bit

is it has anything to do with the resolution or i just do it the wrong way?

• i had the same issue on my M Audio firewire 410. Any time I used any gain on the mic/instrument pre-amps on the interface for the DI signal, I got a very noisy signal. But if I disabled the Pad switch, I'd get clipping on any medium-high strength picking. it's unusable in that sense. So I switched like you - SPDIF for DI, analog for monitoring when tracking. Then SPDIF only for reamping. Can get a little confusing but overall pretty easy once you get the hang of it.