USB audio interface recomendation

• Hello everyone!

My Kemper arrived last week and I'm very happy with it.:)
    All I need now is pretty simple: USB audio interface with SPDIF in/out, one instrument input and headphone jack. Budget is about 150-200$.

Currenlty I'm looking into ESI U24 XL. It is pretty compact, cheap and covers all my needs.

Any other recomendations?

• Try the lexicon omega.
    Its cheap and can send 4 channels at the same time per spdif.
    Kemper spdif -> lexicon omega -> ipad usb, pc, mac or spdif to yamaha aw a.s.o.

• NI Komplete 6 is out of budget :)
    Lexicon Omega is also nice choise. Also I'm thinking about Tascam US 144 MKII.
    I can't decide which one will be better :)

• Check out some of the Focusrite stuff. I have a Forte and I bought it because of the quality of the pre-amps in it. Thus far, nothing in the compact interface that I have used (Babyface, Duet 2, Track 16) have sounded anywhere near as good as the Forte.

Another option is some of the Presonus stuff. You can get a decent input device for a good price.

Good luck with your choices! :)

• Since I have my Duet 2 I stopped looking but I just went to see the infos on the Focusrite Forte.

It is shocking how visually similar the two units look alike... Even the breakout cable concept.

• ... I'd recommend checking the Gina3D. It's not USB tho, so it won't cope with a laptop (unless you use an adapter). But it's a pro-level audio device, originally listed at around 500€ and now selling for about 80-100 second-hand in Italy.
    It's got drivers for Win XP as well (that's what I use).

PS: its bigger sister, the Layla, sells for 100-150 €.

I believe PCI data transfer ensures an overall more consistent and robust data stream (like the Firewire) when compared to USB.

• ciao Gianfranco.

I am into this thread because I'm looking for a new audio device, as said.

since I will use it also for live action, i.e. supplying the click to the drummer, I need the following features:
    - must have at least 3 outputs, even though no device has 3 but starts at 4 outputs, which is even better.
    - must be USB because I use a past generation laptop with no firewire on it.
    - must do reamping for the kemper, since I buy one why not take advantage of it? my actual device, edirol F101 firewire cannot reamp.

what do you suggest? the Gina you mentioned would be perfect but it has that RS232 or similar plug and you're right: no laptop use unless I find an adapter. but what kind of adapter? RS232 to USB?

thanks for all the tips you can give me.

mic

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• the Fast Track pro from M-audio seems to cope with at least the first two items of my list. don't know anything about the reamping. anyone knows the M-audio can do it?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• what do you suggest? the Gina you mentioned would be perfect but it has that RS232 or similar plug and you're right: no laptop use unless I find an adapter. but what kind of adapter? RS232 to USB?

thanks for all the tips you can give me.

mic

Hey Michael,

I'm not too much into Audio I\F since I've got my Gina 3G some years ago,

If going for the Echo, you'd need the PCI board for computational power, so you'd need a device (which I have seen somewhere) able to let a laptop get a broadband signal from a PCI board.
    Certainly it's not the most practical thing to carry around: there's a long and thick cable and you'd need the above-mentioned 'device' to I\F with your laptop...

Basically, I agree that an USB audio device is the most practical solution for your needs.
    From what I see, you're not much interested in the analog quality (pres, converters). I'd then focus on the latency. There are some brands (I can't recall now) which ensure almost-0 latency even at their entry level... With one of those, provided they're gifted with S\PDIF, you should be set :)

You might want to google for

0 latency usb audio interface

:thumbup:

• I had the Apogee Duet for my Macbook pro but I found problems matching levels when recording. It just didn't flow well for me.

That said, the audio quality is outstanding on that unit. I'd still highly recommend it. I just don't record on the mac, so I sold it.

I currently use my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra if I need to go to my mac. Had it around, I use it more as a breakout-box sound card than for recording.

I have a friend who swears by Echo, but I don't know if their USB is different than their PC Internal soundcard with break out I/O.

• The Pre-Amps that come with Forte are no different than the Focusrite Pre-Amps found in other Scarlet and Saffire products. Its fancy "RedNet" description in the TechSpecs only describes a technical way to control them. If you need better quality than the "Focusrite Pre-Amps" than you have to go for the "Liquid Pre-Amps" found in the Liquid Saffire 56 (Firewire only). The most famous Focusrite Pre-Amp "Red" can't be found in any of their audio interfaces.
    So you're paying some extra money basically for the different form factor and some nifty OLED light show on top :)

And no, the Forte doesn't provide any kind of MIDI.

Cheers,
    Martin

PS: The above mentioned Liquid Pre-Amps are great and very very versatile.

• Had no issues with my Fast Track C400!

I sold it to a good friend of mine. It does his work!
    For Home-Production really good. Easy in use with the Kemper.

My recommendation. +1