Hello from Orlando

• Hey guys!

After hearing all the great things people say about the Kemper, I just had to try it for myself. I just got it last week, but I haven't been able to invest too much time in it, since the wife and I just rescued a dog and it's taken most of our time and attention. What I've experienced from it has been great, though! I love how much more dynamic it is than my POD, and it just flat out sounds better!

I'm glad to join the users of this great tool, and look forward to getting more familiar with all it can do!

- Ken

• Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! The dog is having some issues with her recent spay, which requires me to watch her extra carefully, but I have taken a bit of time to play with the Kemper. I'm looking into what kind of active speaker to get for live playing (unless power amp and passive speaker is more recommended?). I'll be playing different stuff with it, from low tuned metal, to more mellow stuff like The Cure.

• depends on your budget as far as the monitor goes. I have all 3: studio monitors, active powered monitor, and a VHT 2902 poweramp/VHT deliverance 4x12 cab setup.

Live, sometimes I don't even bring my monitor! Depending on the gig, the house PA is great. I use the Mackie HD1531 for my powered my monitor. It is huge (weighs about 100 lbs), EXTREMELY LOUD with tons of headroom, and fills the room like no other. The 15inch woofer absolutely kills for the low tuned stuff, it pumps like nothing I've ever tried, however, it is not for everyone. I honestly hate carrying it to gigs, but I am glad when it gets setup. If I wanna get REALLY crazy, Ill bring my HD1531, as well as the VHT poweramp/cab setup, and run them both, and go out to the FOH with the left main out. This setup blows anything I've done out of the water, nothing I've ever used has ever come close, and it sounds absolutely insane. My 2 head/2 4x12 setup didn't even pump as hard as this setup does.

• Haha, that sounds intense. I saw an HD1531 for sale on craigslist, but I'm exploring the options. I know there will have to be a compromise somewhere between price, sound, and weight. I'd like something fairly lightweight, that will accurately reproduce what the house PA is sending out, e.g. I don't want something dark that makes me raise my mids and highs, causing me to pierce the eardrums of the crowd.

I've heard good things about the Alto TS115a, but a review also said that they limit fairly early and they've blown a couple of them. I'll just have to maybe take the KPA down to the music store and try some stuff out.

• I'll just have to maybe take the KPA down to the music store and try some stuff out.

Well, you wouldn't believe it, but the Fender Mustang III makes a damn good monitor amp. I was skeptical, but DocLine6forum here talked me into it, and I'm not sorry. Just hook up the Monitor out to the Return input on the Mustang, turn cabs off for Monitor out, then adjust Monitor EQ to taste. Very inexpensive solution for a decent sound.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• At that price, I would probably go for either the Alto TS115a or TS112a, as they are around the same price, and I'm looking for something as neutral as possible so I can still use different cabs. Worst case scenario, I will have something decent to use until I'm ready to drop more money on something nicer. Thanks for the suggestion, though! :thumbup:

• Hey Ken,

Agreed!! I had a Line 6 for a short time and the sounds just seemed to be too harsh and grainy to my ears. The Kemper is definitely much more organic and natural sounding; like I'm playing through a tube amp!! What a Rush!!

• Just a quick update, I'm now playing my Kemper through a Peavey Nashville 400 and oh man, it sounds amazing. Even my dad was blown away by the sound of the KPA. We tried to profile his Fender Blues Junior III, and it was so-so (nothing special) and for a laugh, we profiled the hi-gain mode of a Roland Micro Cube. It sounds better than the Cube itself, but certainly not worth using to any extent. :P