Profiling cabinet IRs

• Hi,
    since is stated that CabMaker is not 100% working as expected, I'm trying a different solution for using some of my favourite IRs...so I tried to actually profile the IRs, hooking up my Apogee Ensemble to the KPA as I would do with a real amp...I'm very happy with the result, so I wanna share with you guys my go to Catharsis IR, the S-PresHigh.

This is the CabMaker version

And this is the profiled version

Let me know how it works for you!!!

Cheers :thumbup:

Edited once, last by DaveVST ().

• please elaborate.

You can find some topics in the CabMaker section about this, to cut a long story short the part of a profile that KPA consider CABINET is not just the Eq curve of the cab/mic (as an IR is), that's why if you switch cabs between profile it works good, but if you convert an IR and load it into the CABINET section it will sounds weird somehow.
    Give my 2 Cabs a try to hear what I'm talking about. ;)

• you'll have to explain what you did in a little more detail, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

My IRs (Redwire BigBox) converted with Cabmaker sound like I remember them when I used the IRs with the Axe - and I spent quite a bit of time finding the 'right' IRs from that collection. Some are mixes some just the right mic/angle/distance combination that brought out certain qualities I was looking for.

Frequency analysis shows that the source IR and the converted IR in the Cabinet slot (everything else off) are very close to being identical.

• you'll have to explain what you did in a little more detail, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

My IRs (Redwire BigBox) converted with Cabmaker sound like I remember them when I used the IRs with the Axe - and I spent quite a bit of time finding the 'right' IRs from that collection. Some are mixes some just the right mic/angle/distance combination that brought out certain qualities I was looking for.

Frequency analysis shows that the source IR and the converted IR in the Cabinet slot (everything else off) are very close to being identical.

You are right, converted IRs do have the same frequency curve as the original ones, but IR is just an EQ curve while the CABINET section on the KPA is not just that, so using an IR instead of an actual profiled cab will lack some portion of the sound.
    I don't know how it works with the AxeFx, never own one, but I've always used real amp with DI through the computer and IRs, or amp sims plus IRs, and I could not achive the same results importing using CabMaker.
    So I profiled a plugin chain loading IR and storing just the Cabinet in the KPA, and to me it sounds as I expected to, that's why I'm sharing these cabs, to have a response from other users on the two methods.

• Thank you for sharing. I really like the profiled IR . I would like to use your approach to converting IRs as well. Could you lay out the details of the signal flow. Great job Dave
    All the best
    Marcel

• Thank you for sharing. I really like the profiled IR . I would like to use your approach to converting IRs as well. Could you lay out the details of the signal flow. Great job Dave
    All the best
    Marcel

Hi Marcel, thank you for your feedback, what I did is:

Guitar to KPA Input
    KPA Direct Out to Apogee Enseble Hi-Z In
    Ensemble Out to KPA Return

On the Mac I set up a Cubase project (any DAW will work the same, a good audio interface it's the deal) with one mono track, an amp simulator on the first insert slot and an IR loader on the second insert slot.
    For the amp simulator I tried a few different (Amplitube, LePou, GTR...) with 99% the same result, the only plugin end up sounding weird was Guitar Rig, so I wouldn't recommend you to use it.
    Set up a distorted sound and bypass the cabinet, then load an impulse in the second insert slot.
    Let the KPA do his profiling magic, refine it and then store just the Cabinet.
    That's it!

Please let me know if it's working for you too!

Edited once, last by DaveVST ().

• So I profiled the Lepou HiBrit and a cab IR ( Kalthallen Cabs Nebula ) and a LeCto with the same cab . I loaded those profiles into Kemper and selected my JCM800 amp profile replacing the LePou amp sections. The results varied because the cab sections inherit the characteristics of the amps they were profiled with . I really like the blending of sounds and I feel things are a little more predictable now . In a good way creatively . Tone blending kind of a cool thing.

• So I profiled the Lepou HiBrit and a cab IR ( Kalthallen Cabs Nebula ) and a LeCto with the same cab . I loaded those profiles into Kemper and selected my JCM800 amp profile replacing the LePou amp sections. The results varied because the cab sections inherit the characteristics of the amps they were profiled with . I really like the blending of sounds and I feel things are a little more predictable now . In a good way creatively . Tone blending kind of a cool thing.

Cool, have you tried the same IR converted with CabMaker to check which one sounds better to you?

• Cool, have you tried the same IR converted with CabMaker to check which one sounds better to you?

I have not because the cab IR I used is a Nebula program that can only be read by the Nebula VST plugin. At this time I only have around 10 profiles in my Kemper . One from okstat and the rest of mine. I'm keeping it simple because I'm easily bogged down by too many choices ;) I will however creat more profiles through my Mac and amp sims when inspiration hits, so thanks for the tips I really appreciate it.