Power consumption specs for KPA?

• Hey gang,

I would like to know the average and maximum power consumption specs of the Kemper lunchbox (not rack) without power amp.
    Reason is, that I will go to Nepal for a while and do some recording there soon. They have power cut almost all day long, so I need to get a UPS which powers my equipment for a couple of hours. I would really like to plan in advance.

Thanks for help,
    Martin

• IIRC is 30W. If you're going to Nepal watch out that the tech specs gives a maximum operating altitude of 3000m, prolly due to passive cooling...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• IIRC is 30W. If you're going to Nepal watch out that the tech specs gives a maximum operating altitude of 3000m, prolly due to passive cooling...

Are you sure? That would be pretty much!

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Ok, date of departure is coming closer. Everything solved apart from the KPA power supply during power cuts in Nepal.
    Now I'm thinking about buying a medium sized 12V car battery and a charger in Kathmandu. To get the necessary 220V AC,
    I would bring an AC inverter from Germany:
    [Blocked Image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SHnk97hpL.jpg]

I think, a charged 60Ah 12V battery should be ok for 10 hours.

Any thoughts or better ideas how to defeat Nepal's wish to force me away from my KPA? :D

• Hm, I checked the power consumption of my box here and i got max 12 W, mainly 10 W. I run different profiles with less or more effects, no midi board involved.
    A 60Ah accu in good condition should be enough. You can play 30h to reach half of the capacity from fully charged situation.IMHO

Do you have the rack version?

no, I have the lunchbox.
    I checked my setup at whole, lunchbox-crate powerblock 150-2x12" box, and got only 22W at little above room volume with a usual consumer wattmeter.

• Finally the day of departure to Kathmandu has arrived. :)
    Really looking forward to the tasty cakes in Jimi Hendrix' "Snowman Cafe" and guitar playing in one of the most colorful cities on earth. If time (and Internet) allows, I will report how things are going with the first Kemper lunchbox that has ever seen Nepal so far. These frequent power cuts still worry me a bit. :D

Cheers,
    Martin

• Finally the day of departure to Kathmandu has arrived. :)
    Really looking forward to the tasty cakes in Jimi Hendrix' "Snowman Cafe" and guitar playing in one of the most colorful cities on earth. If time (and Internet) allows, I will report how things are going with the first Kemper lunchbox that has ever seen Nepal so far. These frequent power cuts still worry me a bit. :D

Cheers,
    Martin

Good luck! ;)

• When measuring the power consumption on devices with switching power supplies (computers, KPA, most electronics), the load is considered capacitive with a 0.5 power factor. This means that the device uses current at 50% efficiency. This doesn't matter much on low wattage devices unless you are sizing a UPS. If you use the rated or measured power with out considering power factor, you may find your UPS/battery/Inverter only provides power for half the time you would expect. It must be de-rated by the power factor.

I was in New Orleans recently and saw a street musician who ran a small mixer, keyboard, mics and PA on a marine deep cycle battery and inverter. Seemed like a simple enough solution. He was there all day. Don't forget to use a sufficient charger.to recharge your battery.

bd

• Hey gang,

first report from Freak Street, Kathmandu, Nepal. :)

So far I don't have good news regarding the KPA. No matter if I'm running it from the power plug in the wall or from the UPS I bought ... I have massive hum and noise. Must be some ground issue that I couldn't fix so far. :( Will try again with an additional ground cable but I'm not sure this will fix the problem since the KPA is dead silent as soon as I disconnect the guitar cable. My concern is that guitar and cable catch massive RF from surrounding cell phone antennas or something similar.

When I realized that I can't immediately fix the problem, I got a Zoom G3X so the guys here can practice while I'm looking for a solution. Hope it won't turn out bad.

By the way, the old Bob Seger song "Kathmandu" is a great song, really love it. Much better than the Cat Stevens song. :)

The nepalese rock music scene is pretty active and there's a constantly growing interest in the different flavors of rock music. The still rare occasions of live concerts in medium or big venues are often packed with youngsters hungry for live rock music. There was a Deep Purple concert planned in late March which would have seen a sell out crowd in Nepal's national stadium here in Kathmandu. Sadly it had to be postponed and later cancelled due to contract issues with the local promoter. Difficult to understand but this was almost national tragedy because so many people were looking forward to this rare international top act appearance in Nepal.

Musicians have to struggle with lots of problems here in Nepal, it's almost impossible to earn a living or just cover the expenses with their music. But you can easily experience the general hunger for music here. As soon as someone starts to play an instrument (even if it's just praticing) there will gather a crowd to watch and listen. And many are pretty open minded and curious. So it's real fun to be here and try to help to some limited degree. :)

Cheers and Namaste from Nepal,
    Martin

• If you ever get to Pokhara ... A lot more peaceful and clean than Kathmandu as well, and the view to the Himalayas is spectacular.

That's true, Pokhara is a nice place to go, although it's to packed with tourists right now. They do have a small but active music scene there. But I actually like the noise, dirt, chaos of Kathmandu Valley a lot. :) If I need some retreat I would go and visit some small villages far from any common tourist trail. But that's just my personal preference and maybe the fact that I've been travelling Nepal since 17 years.

• How's the weather there now? I've always gone around mid-Sep since that's usually the only time of year I have time for traveling.

The weather's not that nice yet at that time, but there are less tourists around as well. :)

Pokharas tourist street was pretty much deserted when I went there the last time, had the whole lakeside for myself.

• Problem with the horrible buzz and noise solved! It was the stupid instrument cable. *sigh* I should have checked this first.
    Got a new one, pretty expensive in nepali terms, but now we're enjoying the KPA a lot!
    CK, thanks a lot for this great "Magic Box" in the name of some talented guitar players here in Kathmandu.
    "Gadget" or "Magic Box" are their favourite KPA nicknames so far. :)

How's the weather there now? I've always gone around mid-Sep since that's usually the only time of year I have time for traveling.

Pretty hot right now, mostly sunny with some clouds showing up in late afternoon. Cooling down at night but far from being real cold. It's still high season for trekking tourists until mid/end of May. After that, rainy season starts to take control and Kathmandu becomes much more quiet until mid/end of September, regarding the flow of tourists.

Cheers & Namaste,
    Martin