The Profile just dont sounded right

• Hey Guys,

yesterday i wanted to profile an Engl Invader with a Orange Box. I think i did everything right. connected the sm57 with the return and the send with the engl. Then we profiled it and refined it but it didnt sound like the orginal. close but not so close as i saw other profiles in the internet. The profile was way to scratchy and sounded digital.

so my question: At the profile process where can i do something not right. What can i do better? But i think the profile process dont need skill so i cant improve it right?

• Actually you need a lot of skills at mic'ing and recording of a real amp to end up with good/exceptional results. The first place I would look is at the return level to make sure you're not clipping it, then I would check the mic placement to avoid proximity effects. Also keep in mind that you need to A/B the profile with the mic'd signal through the same monitors, not with the direct amp sound in the room. In order to achieve this the amp/mic must be in another room not leaking sound.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Actually you need a lot of skills at mic'ing and recording of a real amp to end up with good/exceptional results. The first place I would look is at the return level to make sure you're not clipping it, then I would check the mic placement to avoid proximity effects. Also keep in mind that you need to A/B the profile with the mic'd signal through the same monitors, not with the direct amp sound in the room. In order to achieve this the amp/mic must be in another room not leaking sound.

ok thank you. Ok where do i see if the return level is clipping we just checked it at the interface in the mixing room. -> we had a seprate room for A/B. Yes we had some room in the recording is that a problem for the kemper? if you mean that with proximity effects. (!?) And yes sure - you need skill for the mic placement.

• Room is not an issue, the Kemper eliminates it. When the mic is to near to cone you can have some warbles and exaggerated highs.
    How long did you refined the profile? To get accurate results many users reports doing way over 20 min playing every possible thing.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Room is not an issue, the Kemper eliminates it. When the mic is to near to cone you can have some warbles and exaggerated highs.
    How long did you refined the profile? To get accurate results many users reports doing way over 20 min playing every possible thing.

Ok maybe thats the problem we did it ~1-2 min

jeff yeah but i think thats a sound thing and have nothing to do with the A/B comparison. When the reference amp sounds like shit the profile have to sound like shit too but should sound the same - and it did not sound the same ... am i wrong :D?

• How is the room not an issue? There are microphones involved. Even when close micing with just a single 57 the room makes a big difference.

Any ER, or room reverb is eliminated by the profiling algorithm, the only variable is the change in frequency response/sensibility of the mic when you move it around

• Any ER, or room reverb is eliminated by the profiling algorithm, the only variable is the change in frequency response/sensibility of the mic when you move it around

Yes, room ambiance is not captured. But that is not the same as saying the room doesn't matter. All rooms have a tonal effect which can be accentuated by placement of the amp and mic. To the OP, no idea other than to suggest trying again.