Atomic CLR Standard Cab?

• I had the chance to borrow a friends Atomic CLR wedge and compared it direct to my RCF ns12sma and I preferred the CLR by a slim margin, especially for extremely "direct" and "present" guitar tones. In fact, I was blown away and the sheer volume the thing could produce was ridiculous.
    I have been on the waitlist and my name has been called but they are out of wedges. Should I move on the standard cab (which would be perfect with the KPA sitting atop as backline) or should I hang on another 6-8 weeks for the wedge?
    I'm doing a lot more vocals and I'm finding with a dedicated guitar wedge AND a band/vocal wedge there is a little too much "stuff" being thrown at me during gigs.
    I just can't decide... it's a lot of cash and too be honest I rehearsed using the KPA into the FX return of my humble BlackStar HT20 FX return STOCK and it sounded pretty damn good as backline! I didn't even have time to adjust the Monitor output EQ or anything...
    I figure for gigs I would need the KPA on top of the CLR cab on top of a pole raising the rig up off the floor a bit.
    But imagine that setup as a grab and go as well... holy crap that would be insane (and not much to carry!)
    I'm using the FCB1010 with Uno right now and so far so good.

• Well, the wedge has/is everything the cab is, plus it's a wedge. You can use a pole with it as well, and you can put it on the ground on a side, like it were a cab. Just get accurate measures ans see if it could limit you in any sense.

There's more versatility in the wedge for sure, the only reason i'd see for not to go with it is, you will not use it as a wedge. But needs change, the CLR is most possibly here to stay...
    Just an opinion of course! :)

• Having read *most* everything Jay has had to say on the subject, it sounds to me like the evolution of the cab was for aesthetic reasons only. The wedge can also be pole mounted (on end, as well as placed on the floor on end) and oriented as....a wedge. It has a separate EQ curve for each position, as well. The cab, IIRC, has none.

I'm on the list for a wedge. It seems to me to be a better swiss-army-knife that allows multiple placement options for differing venues. :)

• I was confirmed on 12/13 and I was in the same boat i.e. I requested a wedge but they were sold out and I would have to wait 6-8 weeks for a active wedge. After doing some research, I decided not to wait an go with the cab. From my research, there is NO difference between the cab and the wedge other than shape i.e. they have the same presets or controls as the wedge, they are capable of mounting on a pole just like the wedge etc. See the Atomic website and you will see there is no difference other than shape. If you needed strictly a wedge for floor monitoring, then you might want to wait for the wedge but honestly, I can tilt the cab back or mount it on a stand.

• I got my CLR cab Monday and will post a thorough review as soon as I can with video-
    I have band rehearsal tonight so I will see how it performs with the group but upon plug in it is immediate that this is a "true" sound.

I use mine with a Roland GR-55 synth and the Kemper, and I waited for the CLR because the buzz on it led me to believe it would be the best of the bunch for running both and the crispness of the cab is already impressing me beyond what I envisioned.

I haven't really tweaked any presets but one thing is for sure, it definitely needs less volume to get the same perceived loudness, if that makes sense.

I have it at 3 o'clock on the cab and 4 on the Kemper's master and it is blowing my face off.

I was previously using an EV ELX 112p and had the master cranked all the way on that, and the Kemper's master at 7.1 for band rehearsal so I will report back on what I needed volume-wise wqith the CLR but the EV is "rated" at 1000 watts versus the CLR at 500 but the CLR would demolish the EV in a battle.

Stay tuned!

• I haven't really tweaked any presets but one thing is for sure, it definitely needs less volume to get the same perceived loudness, if that makes sense!

That's very interesting, Scott Peterson wrote the same onTGP 8)

As for the differences between the two formats again, the wedge has one DSP preset for the... Wedge position, it would not be the same to tilt the cab back, even tho we're probably talking nuances here.

Last, for comparing sound pressure the nominal power is only one of the variables of course.

I think this is the greatest product of the last years after the KPA itself :thumbup:

• vablows, I've been on the list for the wedge as well. I'll be using it with my Kpa and my GR55 as well and look forward to your report.

• Ok, ran it through rehearsal last night and the Kemper Master was on 4.2 and the Atomic master was at 12 o'clock position (half way) to get stage volume needed.
    Quite a contrast to the EV's settings, almost half of the "volume" needed.

It sounded great, I got crap from my other guitar player about how small my rig is and that it looked wimpy compared to his marshall half stack and his huge pedal board.
    He actually ended up telling me I was too loud a couple of times and I just laughed inside.
    Then he was complaining afterwards about how much crap he had to load into his truck while I walked out with my whole rig in one trip.

I will definitely do a video next week so everyone can hear it.

I knew the Kemper was great, but I have never heard my synth sound so good before, now I am extremely pleased with it and excited to work with it more.
    I didn't use it to it's full capacity before because it just didn't sound as good as I wanted it to through the EV but now I am truly blown away.

• "As for the differences between the two formats again, the wedge has one DSP preset for the... Wedge position, it would not be the same to tilt the cab back, even tho we're probably talking nuances here."

Viabacroce, From what I have read including the manual and from Tom King, there is no difference between the cab and the wedge other than the physical shape i.e. they have the same DSP presets. See Tom King's clarification to this same issue.

Tom King on the FractaI Web site " I think you may have misunderstood what Jay said or meant. He has said
    that the presets are crucial for getting a flat response in the
    different positions but never mentioned this being exclusive to the
    wedge. Both the cab and the wedge have the same exact power section
    which includes the 3 position preset switch. Both versions sound
    identical.

FWIW, my personal setup is 2 active cabs which I use both on the floor
    like a traditional amp (in "BL" or backline mode) and pole mounted on
    stands (in "FF" or free field mode).

-TK"

• Thanks Rob, I teally must be missing something here: what would the use be for a "wedge" preset for the cab?

I believe (and having had access to the manual you could confirm this or correct me) that what they share is a "Ground" preset, which would mean for the wedge to be set as a wedge, and for the cab to be simply put on the ground.

Enlight me! :)

• Gianfranco, According to the manual, there are 3 settings. Free-Field (FF) where the speaker wedge or cab is elevated on a stand, Tilt (TILT) where the speaker (wedge or Cab) is used as a floor wedge tilted upwards. In this case the wedge would sit on the floor and the cab would sit on the floor tilted backwards and Backline (BL) for when the speaker is used as a traditional guitar speaker cab i.e. on the ground firing horizontally. In this case one would turn the wedge on end.I can't say if the presets have been tailored to each speaker i.e. the tilt setting has been programmed differently for a wedge or a tilted cab but it would appear from what I have read they are the same.