Instrument or Speaker cable?

• I currently have my Kemper connected to my interface using standard instrument cables, I have speaker cables around from when I sold my cab, will I see any difference using them? Should I be using them instead?

• as far as I know the speaker cables are not suitable for other purposes than the cable connect.

I would use the standard guitar cable.........

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• as far as I know the speaker cables are not suitable for other purposes than the cable connect.

I would use the standard guitar cable.........

Correct, speaker cable are not suitable for anything but speaker levels. They are not shielded against interference or noise...

• Sorry guys, but you're both wrong.

The KPA is a preamp which produces balanced, line-level signal and not an instrument level signal.
    As such, interference is negligible and instrument cables will not transfer the full range of the signal -
    so you'll lose some extreme high and low end.
    It may not sound like much of a difference if you're not using high-end studio monitors, but there will be a difference.

Speaker cables are better, if a bit overkill.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

The KPA is a preamp which produces balanced, line-level signal and not an instrument level signal.
    As such, interference is negligible and instrument cables will not transfer the full range of the signal -
    It may not sound like much of a difference if you're not using high-end studio monitors, but there will be a difference.

The direct out is not line level, since it carries the guitar signal to your amp. Using high quality guitar cables is not a bad idea, i think...

so a speaker cable is better for connecting the kpa monitor out to an interface and a pa/cabinet?

• Yes.

Best would be an audio cable - the kind used to connect audio players to receivers, receivers to PA etc. - but a speaker cable will do just fine.

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Quitty, this is absolutely not a good advice.

Interference is not negligible, shielded cables are standard even with balanced line connection. Due to that reason speaker cables should only be used with speakers, as they are not shielded.

Instrument cables serve well as line level connections. Where have you got the information that they would degrade a line level signal at all?

• The direct out can carry the master bus of the KPA, so it most likely is also line-level, but i'm not 100% sure about that.

CK: correct me if i'm wrong, but the resistance of an instrument cable is not negligible, and thus acts as an LPF?
    Regarding interference, i've been using line level cables for a decade or so by now. Compared to the signal that's going through them, i've never been able to hear added interference in any location that wasn't particularly problematic.

In any case, sorry if my information has been misleading.

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• There are no "line level" cables as opposed to "instrument" cables. Same thing, and they absolutely need to be shielded. Forget the resistance, it is not applicable. (You should only care about capacitance in the cable from a passive pickup guitar to amp/Kemper. More/less capacitance in that cable length will shift the resonant lowpass filter down/up.)

Speaker cable should be used for connecting speakers only.