Problem using Midi Raider with Kemper

• Hi all,

This my first post here. I got my kemper about 2 weeks ago and I`ve been more than happy with the sounds so far. I hope the topic is right for this kind of discussion.
    I got Rocktron midi raider (MR later on) to go with kemper couple of days a go. I got the MR as B-stock from thomann, which means its not new but sended back to Thomann from brevious buyer within 30 days. So its bit used but came with full warranty. Problem with is that when I use the MR with 5 bank mode (10 IA buttons) Kemper cuts output down when I choose preset 3 or higher, it also wont call in presets after 8 at all. The output comes back if I twiggle the volume pedal. I tried using it with 10 bank mode, then it wont cut output but still wont call in presets above 8. I also tried using the remote mode of MR but the problem is same. All MR switches and leds seem to work normally. Im totally new with midi stuff also so now Im asking is there some kind of adjustment in kemper to solve this problem. I only found midi setup which has to be on omni to get the MR function at all.

Dr Feelgood

• Hi all,

This my first post here. I got my kemper about 2 weeks ago and I`ve been more than happy with the sounds so far. I hope the topic is right for this kind of discussion.
    I got Rocktron midi raider (MR later on) to go with kemper couple of days a go. I got the MR as B-stock from thomann, which means its not new but sended back to Thomann from brevious buyer within 30 days. So its bit used but came with full warranty. Problem with is that when I use the MR with 5 bank mode (10 IA buttons) Kemper cuts output down when I choose preset 3 or higher, it also wont call in presets after 8 at all. The output comes back if I twiggle the volume pedal. I tried using it with 10 bank mode, then it wont cut output but still wont call in presets above 8. I also tried using the remote mode of MR but the problem is same. All MR switches and leds seem to work normally. Im totally new with midi stuff also so now Im asking is there some kind of adjustment in kemper to solve this problem. I only found midi setup which has to be on omni to get the MR function at all.

You have a CC somewhere affected to volume..might be hidden somewhere..I would totally reset the unit first and start over ...

• Hi DrFeelgood. I own the All Access which is the past Midi Raider....or better, the MR is done upon the AllAccess.

I would suggest you follow the tutorial find here: Rocktron All Access switches assignment tutorial for Kemper use

indeed my AA is just perfect and behave as I want her to. you should be able to do the same with yours which is, as said, the modern version, updated at its best.

don't know if you can reinitialize the MR. as far as I know I never did it in the past with my AA............

check the CC assignement and assign them back one at the time. for example: try to assign the delay and test it. add another stomp and test try them two......and so on.........

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Ok, thanks for the link ,I´ll check it out. Reinitialization didnt help, I did it three times and problem is same, on bank mode 5 it cuts output down, 10/15 modes MR works now fine.

Dr Feelgood

• drFeelGood...........what firmware version do you have? read the new one, 1.8.2 fixes some midi sysex issues. might be your problem?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• Dr,

Just some obvious questions first up...

I'm assuming the reset you did on the MR was the "230 code" reset? (in the MR manual, page 26).

Is the Kemper running the newest firmware (1.8.2)?

Michaelmellner and I have both spent quite a bit of time in the Rocktrons setup menus so we should be able to help and find if it is the Allaccess/MR that's causing your issues.

I had some weird behavior (occasionally the KPA's mod slots would magically turn on when changing rigs) when the Kemper was set to Omni. I just set both the MR and Kemper to midi channel 1 and it made both midi rig switching faster and stopped the strange behaviour.

Keep us posted on your progress.

• Hi again,

I reinitialized MR with code 230, also updated the FW to 1.8.2 yesterday, earlier it was 1.8.0 beta. Rig changing got bit faster which is nice.

I tried using with both kemper and MR on Midi channel 1, 2, 10 and also setted both to omni. Omni and midi channel 1 functioned but on ch 2 and 10 the presets didn`t change. Problem with 5/bank mode goes on. MR software version is 1.0 by the way, this cant be updated with out chip change? Haven`t had time yet for the learning of CC/stompstuff, I´ll try that this evening. Still the problem seems pretty weird since the MR should be on factorysettings now, and it works fine on 10 and 15 bank mode.

Dr Feelgood

• I agree.. What your explaining is kinda strange. If it would help, I can list what one of my Instant Access switches are set too (ie: footswitch 8, and all settings) so direct comparison can be made. I run my MR in 5 bank mode so it should be pretty straight forward to compare.

If you wanted to get fancy and have a midi port on your PC or soundcard, you can easily connect your MR to the PC and use some free software to see what info, if any, the pedals actually sending.

• Oh, You probably have this info too but here's the list of the Kempers CC#'s. Borrowed from Burkhard's post in another thread.

#1 Pedal 1 (Wah Pedals)*
    #7 Pedal 2 (Volume Pedals)*
    #16 Stomp Invert**
    #17 Stomp A
    #18 Stomp B
    #19 Stomp C
    #20 Stomp D
    #23 Stomp X
    #24 Stomp MOD
    #26 Delay (mute trails)
    #27 Delay Mix (keep trails)
    #28 Reverb (mute trails)
    #29 Reverb Mix (keep trails)
    #30 TAP
    #31 Tuner select
    #33 Rotary Speaker (slow/fast)

Hope your having some luck :thumbup:

• Hello,

Think I found the problem. When I use the MR with 5 bank mode the MR changes the IA switch 7 automatically to CC7 (which is volume) during preset changes. Since this is switched off it it cuts out output. When pressing switch 7 output (sound) returns. Assigning switch 7 to other CC didn´t help, it switches back to CC7 by itself when changing presets or doing other setup settings in MR. Setting pedal 1 on CC7 didnt help either. Normal function on 10 bank mode seems logical to me since IA switch 7 ain´t used in that mode. This bugs me a bit since I have a gig on saturday, although I´ll manage with 10 bank mode also (but surely will test the reliability again tomorrow).
    What do you guys think, seems to me there is something wrong with MR? On the other hand I was thinking could this be incompatibility problem with kemper or current firmware (1.8.2)? Or could it be theres something wrong with my kemper unit?

Another (noob) guestion: Can MR be configured so that when I switch presets the pre-programmed stomps stay on and can be switched off if needed. I`ll give an example: I assigned IA6 to stomp A (CC17), when I switch to a preset which has compressor on that slot the IA6 has to be pressed to get the compressor on. I changed the preset setup so that IA6 was setted on "per preset" instead of "global". On that mode I can`t switch the compressor off.

Dr Feelgood

• OK .I just plugged my MR..haven't used it ever but I wanted to see what your ploblem is.. I have used the All Access on 100's of gigs and it is the same :)

If you switch to Bank by 5 switch 7 is indeed assigned direct to CC7..BUT if you change it ,it must remain... so my guess is that you're not in global mode for the switch for some reason..or may be you have a another conflict with a pedal CC ..but my guess is that you're not in global mode..the CC number must remain the same at preset change..unless you go for CC /preset
    I even came back to bank by 10 then again to bank by 5 and nothing had changed at all :)

Bruno (At 3:45 Am) :)

• Hello,

Another (noob) guestion: Can MR be configured so that when I switch presets the pre-programmed stomps stay on and can be switched off if needed. I`ll give an example: I assigned IA6 to stomp A (CC17), when I switch to a preset which has compressor on that slot the IA6 has to be pressed to get the compressor on. I changed the preset setup so that IA6 was setted on "per preset" instead of "global". On that mode I can`t switch the compressor off.

Why do you want to use the per preset thing ? You need that much control that 10 CC's are not enough ? my guess is that you switched switch 7 to per preset too :)
    Put everything on Global and start from there

• Hi Bruno,

10 CC´s are more than enough, 5:s a bit short. I tried the per presest mode because on global presest stomps etc are bypassed until I press the current IA switch. For example on my one of my clean setting I want the compressor to be on when I switch to that presest and switch compressor if i need to. I don´t know if theres something else weird in my Midi/setup settings, tried to figure it out but It was getting late and I was pretty tired also, long day etc... :).

I think all reinitialize MR again at the evening and start once again from the beginning :).

Dr Feelgood

• Hi Bruno,

10 CC´s are more than enough, 5:s a bit short. I tried the per presest mode because on global presest stomps etc are bypassed until I press the current IA switch. For example on my one of my clean setting I want the compressor to be on when I switch to that presest and switch compressor if i need to. I don´t know if theres something else weird in my Midi/setup settings, tried to figure it out but It was getting late and I was pretty tired also, long day etc... :).

I think all reinitialize MR again at the evening and start once again from the beginning :).

You must store the switch settings !!!! The KPA is not going to tell the MR that your compressor is on.. your preset must reflect the setting of your rig..so if comp is on on switch one and is on ,on KPA then you need to store switch 1 as ON when selected in a given preset

• bruno is right: did you save the ias status?

in case it is done by putting the desired ias in an on statu, than you press 2nd and store............

• Hi,

Got my problems solved and MR is setted up. There seems to be few tricks with this MIDI stuff, life is to learn... Huge thanks to you guys!

Cheers,
    Dr.Feelgood

Dr Feelgood