Strange - somehow I get tired of the KPA

• The human mind is bad for comparing sounds.

The mind/ears can compare sounds very good when two different sounds are played in a short time - works bad if a few seconds are between playing the first sound - and fails to compare sounds we heard some days or even week ago.

Yes, its great to have some fine tube amps in the same room with the KPA - sometimes when I play the KPA - and dont like the sound - I compare with the real thing ...

... and often I find I dont like the real thing as well - there are many reasons for not liking the sound: tiered, bad mood, bad weather, flew ....

In general I found that I like both playing the KPA and playing real tube amps - and the KPA with great profiles via a large FRFR system sounds as great as my tube amps.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• The mind/ears can compare sounds very good when two different sounds are played in a short time - works bad if a few seconds are between playing the first sound

So true! I was very sceptical about the KPA at the beginning. I even bought a Lehle A/B switch to switch between my favourite tubeamp and the KPA + FRFR with a selfmade profile of that very amp. That was eye (ear) opening and I stopped worrying about that.

We (electric) guitar players are forced to think about so many technical details when developping a good tone, that, once we have found it, we sometimes forget why we did all that. Then we don't see the wood for all the trees.

After all it is a tool. A tool to make music.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Ihave the same feeling. I need a tube amp. I fact, I think I'm going to buy a new one soon because I've just sold my Cornford.

Profiling an amp or profiling the OD pedals I use in front of it doesn't always work but it almost always works! As the manual says, not everything can be profiled (e.g. Tube Screamer and clones). But the KPA is going to stay at home because I can get one thousand awesome tones.

Saludos!
    Paco

totally agree with paco!!!!!
    a month ago i purchased 2 x yamaha dxr10's, in my room at home they sounded great. but had real trouble enjoying them in the rehearsal room. i don't know why ( just my personal preference maybe). yesterday i took my trusty 1979 marshall jmp 50 head and my customised 1936 2x12 back to the rehearsal room and AB'd the two set ups.. really guys! no comparison, the real amp kicked the KPA's butt big style. so, the jmp is back in for live use for good.!!!. and my KPA is will now reside in my home studio and will definately join me for outings to other studio's ( where in reality, it was designed to be) and where it remains king in this department.!!
    "the best of both worlds", in my humble opinion !

• totally agree with paco!!!!!
    a month ago i purchased 2 x yamaha dxr10's, in my room at home they sounded great. but had real trouble enjoying them in the rehearsal room. i don't know why ( just my personal preference maybe). yesterday i took my trusty 1979 marshall jmp 50 head and my customised 1936 2x12 back to the rehearsal room and AB'd the two set ups.. really guys! no comparison, the real amp kicked the KPA's butt big style. so, the jmp is back in for live use for good.!!!. and my KPA is will now reside in my home studio and will definately join me for outings to other studio's ( where in reality, it was designed to be) and where it remains king in this department.!!
    "the best of both worlds", in my humble opinion !

Hey man, have you tried putting the outs of the KPA into the input of your am or straight to your speaker in you marshall.. I found that even with my little fender superchamp xd, kpa into the guitar input, sounded amazing, powerful and real.. all I can think of, is we are unable to take away the mic and room from the profiles.. this might be the difference you are hearing... you can only really AB them if the amp is mic'd up and you are hearing it through studio monitors in another room, then listen to the KPA. but side by side it's always going to be different...

ciao :)

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Hey man, have you tried putting the outs of the KPA into the input of your am or straight to your speaker in you marshall.. I found that even with my little fender superchamp xd, kpa into the guitar input, sounded amazing, powerful and real.. all I can think of, is we are unable to take away the mic and room from the profiles.. this might be the difference you are hearing... you can only really AB them if the amp is mic'd up and you are hearing it through studio monitors in another room, then listen to the KPA. but side by side it's always going to be different...

Hey man, have you tried putting the outs of the KPA into the input of your am or straight to your speaker in you marshall.. I found that even with my little fender superchamp xd, kpa into the guitar input, sounded amazing, powerful and real.. all I can think of, is we are unable to take away the mic and room from the profiles.. this might be the difference you are hearing... you can only really AB them if the amp is mic'd up and you are hearing it through studio monitors in another room, then listen to the KPA. but side by side it's always going to be different...

ciao :)

hi, have tried all methods even gigged with the dxr's all im saying is that it just does'nt suite me for playing in a live band situation. don't get me wrong, i love my KPA and its a keeper for me, i love recording with it and its still one of my best purchases ever !!!!! :thumbup:

• For those who are liking the "real" amp feel, just use the Monitor out with cab sim off and use the line in on your amp. For me, when I'm playing my '52 RI Tele through Armin's '52 Deluxe I'm in heaven, and I can't afford a real '52 Deluxe (nor do I want to maintain it!). I must say that I do find myself playing mostly through the one rig. It does tire me out switching through the countless good profiles available. I say just find one or two rigs for each of your core sounds and archive everything else.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• For those who are liking the "real" amp feel, just use the Monitor out with cab sim off and use the line in on your amp. For me, when I'm playing my '52 RI Tele through Armin's '52 Deluxe I'm in heaven, and I can't afford a real '52 Deluxe (nor do I want to maintain it!). I must say that I do find myself playing mostly through the one rig. It does tire me out switching through the countless good profiles available. I say just find one or two rigs for each of your core sounds and archive everything else.

I get the feeling also that we have too many rigs and this is what makes us nutz. flipping through them all, or even all out favorites (50) can still be time consuming and numbing... wish we had one more saving option, so we could save the very best of our favorites easily at the touch of a button.... :thumbup:

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• I too wish we had a few more folders.

I find that some profiles work on my Tele better, others for my Strat, others still for my Gretsch.

It would be cool to have folders I could put them in based on my guitars I like. Even if the folder names were hard wired.

• I find that some profiles work on my Tele better, others for my Strat, others still for my Gretsch.

Couldn't you use the new Performance Mode for this purpose? Instead of Songtitles you put "Telly" and "Strat" and "Gretsch".

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.