FCB 1010 MIDI Thru problem!!

• So, all you MIDI experts out there, hope you can give me a hand with this one:
    I've currently got an FCB 1010 (with UnO) and a Roland FC-300 hooked up to my KPA.
    That is, the FC-300 goes out to the FCB's in which then goes out to the KPA. (Of course, in order to have the "Thru" functionality working on the FCB, I've enabled "Midi Merge")

Up until now, CC as well as PC commands from the FC-300 (which are going through the FCB) seem to be working well, as long as they are coming from the "stomp" pedals. However, the expression pedals are not working properly. There is some kind of latency/non linear response that happens when going through the FCB. (Of course I've already connected the Roland directly to the KPA as well, so I know the problem is not in the unit.
    Basically, if I move the exp pedal quickly (and I mean, not even THAT quick), the KPA doesn't seem to respond at all, or only slightly and in jumps.
    Also, even when I reach the "heel" or "toe" positions on the pedals, the KPA doesn't always actually get to the min/max settings which is really frustrating as well.

Anybody experiencing the same issue?
    Any ideas what could be the reason?
    Is it a problem with the FCB Thru in general or might there also be issues concerning newer models of the same gear? (my FCB is been around for quite a long time now...)

anyway, would be great to know, now that the Kemper-FCB Chip is finally out!!

Cheers,

David

• not a real MIDI expert, but will try to advice some deductionsin the attempt to help..............

1) they are two independent PB. why do you need them together? can't you make with one?
    2) have you tried the exp pedals funtions by hooking one pedalboard at a time? i.e.: roland midi out to kpa midi in, and so on
    3) have you tried to chain the PBs via MIDI out/in instead?

as mentioned: i'm not an expert per se but maybe these considerations might help other brains to solve the issue

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I recently had to re-calibrate my FCB petals.

Also the KPA now switches to tuner mode on volume heel now and theres a bit of a delay switching back to volume.

Your pedal assignments could be in conflicted states if they are trying to control the same function.

• Hey guys, first of all, thanks for the feedback!

1) they are two independent PB. why do you need them together? can't you make with one?
    2) have you tried the exp pedals funtions by hooking one pedalboard at a time? i.e.: roland midi out to kpa midi in, and so on
    3) have you tried to chain the PBs via MIDI out/in instead?

As to your points Michael,
    1) Yeah, I know it might sound a bit like overkill, but the thing is, I'm also running MIDI from the pedals (FC-300 -->FCB-->KPA-->Laptop) through the KPA and into the computer, so I'm simultaneously controlling both he KPA as well as my software with them. Being able to run both of them together gives me a lot of flexibility and also saves me a USB port, which I would otherwise have to connect independently.
    2) Yep, done that and both pedals work fine
    3) Don't really get what you mean here. Im going from the Roland OUT to the FCB IN and from FCBs OUT/THRU to the KPA...

Your pedal assignments could be in conflicted states if they are trying to control the same function.

I'm pretty sure I'm sending different assignments from each pedal, but as always, it might be a good idea to see if there might be some freak command I haven't noticed yet, which is interferring...

You might get better results running both controllers into a MIDI merge box, instead of depending on the behringer to merge the data. So few people use those, they can be bought dirt cheap.

Hmm could be a good idea... don't have ani experience with MIDI merge boxes. Do they have to be powered externally powered?

Anyway, thx again for the help dudes! :thumbup:

D

• The midi merge box gets its power from the foot controller's midi out. My FCB is stock - no UNO, and I use Mountain System's FCB editor. Use the top row of buttons for midi channel 2 out, and the bottom row for midi channel 1. Each expression pedal is assigned independently to each midi channel, 1 & 2.