Profiling POWER HEAD gives no output through cabinet

• At the bottom is the issue I was having, but I resolved it by just continually turning it off when it froze, and starting over. All of a sudden it just worked. That really has me concerned. Anyways, so now I can't get any sound out of this thing. Do I sound like a rookie or something? I have it connected to a Mesa 4x12 and nothing. I go to the output menu and use the setting "monitorcaboff" and still nothing. This is seriously ridiculous. I must be really old fashioned. I'm already missing plug and play.

Just to clarify. When I turn on the Kemper, I can hear the power click through the cabinet. So the connections there are good. It should be noted that I can't get the tuner to work either, as if it is receiving zero signal from the guitar. I go to plug it in to my old trusty mesa dc-5 and the guitar and cables all work just fine.

Just received it today. WAS excited. Can't do anything. I get to the initial setup, enter the date, my name, and it freezes, and says go to kemper.com/start or whatever for updates. So I get the new update, go back, get my formatted USB drive, plug it in, and it freezes during the install. Expensive paperweight at the moment, and about 2 seconds from a return. Anybody got a fix for this? I mean seriously.

Edited 2 times, last by smoot ().

• Ah, in my frustrated haste, I"m in the wrong place.

EDIT: So I got over to the troubleshooting forum, and there's no button for me to create a new thread. Drop 2.5 grand and I can't even play the fucking thing, or find a place to troubleshoot. Super. I'm angry.

• Open a support ticket with Kemper. There are not many powered heads around currently, and the other users won't likely be of much assistance.

When you get it worked out please let us know what you found out so that others can benefit from your unfortunate experience.

And, by-the-way, welcome to the forum and the Kemper. :thumbup:

• Certainly cooled off more today. I was hot, frustrated, disapointed etc yesterday after waiting 2+ months for this, only to get a lemon.

ANYWAYS. Tried some system resets/flash erasing, and nothing. I can't get ANY signal TO the amp. I read the manual that says the tuner will always have LEDs on, even when not in tuner mode, and these lights never turn on. I've done the reset, installed the new update, reset the factory rigs, nothing.

Emailed support and they basically gave me a "DOA" diagnosis. That doesn't impress me that such a thing can happen right out of the box, and really makes me furrow my brow to the longevity of this expensive product. But I'm going to be patient, and hope this is just a fluke. Called Sweetwater, who might I add have been VERY helpful, and they are shipping a new one today and gave me a return slip for the lemon.

Thanks for the Welcome. I needed something positive to lean on.

• +1 on the frustration...particularly over something that you've likely waited for with such anticipation.

On the positive side, I'll wager that you will be VERY happy once it's been sorted out. This is a great board with some amazing talent, positive and helpful people, and technically advanced individuals who try to help at every chance.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get it up and running....and some samples of your music! :thumbup:

• Smoot, hang in there Buddy! If you love guitar and tone and control ... you're gonna love this thing. The KPA is a staggeringly cool box and you'll be amazed how much you'll be playing with it once you get a fully functioning unit.

• Well thanks, I appreciate it. I have this weird fear that there's just something that I'm doing wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that might be. I just have this vision that I'm "that guy", as in when it gets back to the techs they'll plug it in and it'll work flawlessly, and while I don't think that's the case, it's on my mind. I just can't imagine that it'd be this difficult to get an amp and not be able to muster a single note out of it, brand new. While I don't consider myself a gear guru, I figure I would be able to troubleshoot a fixable problem. And while this technology is new to me, as in the Kemper is as much a computer as an amp it seems, I should be able to execute a simple pre-loaded rig without difficulty. I've always been that guy that doesn't jump on brand new products because of the bugs and growing pains associated with them, and here's a perfect example why, but as you all mentioned, this is such a cool piece of equipment, I figured it'd be worth the complication. I certainly hope that's the case. But the fact that with any computer you can run into glitches and freezes concerns me. This isn't a classic amp whose only problem is a funky tube replacement. It's much deeper than that.

Here's hoping...

• This isn't a classic amp whose only problem is a funky tube replacement. It's much deeper than that.

Here's hoping...

I've had MUCH worse problems with tube amps than just a bad tube, over the years. In fact, in some designs when a tube goes bad it takes the rest of the circuit with it. Just the variability of the sound (from a tube amp) from one night to the next, is enough to drive me crazy.

That's why I started switching to digital years ago...unfortunately, I had to compromise on the sound back then. With the Kemper, the compromises are in the past.

• Don't worry Buddy, from what you've described ... it's not you. The fact you can't even see the tuner kind of cinches it. Be patient until your new UNIT arrives and then, if the same thing happens ... Well, you'll be THAT guy! Lol! Best of luck.

" I have this weird fear that there's just something that I'm doing wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that might be. I just have this vision that I'm "that guy", as in when it gets back to the techs they'll plug it in and it'll work flawlessly "

• Dlaut - I guess I've never had any problems with any amps I've ever used, but I don't doubt there are scenarios where classic amps can be temperamental.

Tyler - I have tuned, dialed, and cranked every last bit of volume and gain I can find. No dice.

Thank you MLScola for putting my wearied mind at ease. Patience will just have to endure.

• Simple question: Are you plugged in to the input? There were users, who accidently plugged into the headphone input. Is your guitar cable ok?

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I am. In fact, I went so far as to plug into the head phone jack in the off chance it was backwards. Nothing. Cable is just fine. I plugged it into my other gear it works just fine.

• Figured I'd give updates, so people do know this is a real thing.

Received my replacement Kemper Power Head yesterday, and it fired right up. So thankfully I wasn't "that guy". It arrived out of the box "Dead on arrival" so I guess anybody that reads this, understand it's a thing in case it happens to you. Brad at Sweetwater was great to work with, and he helped me have a replacement quickly.

Quick review? I'm actually overwhelmed at the possibilities of this thing. Holy. Smokes. I'm excited and a little intimidated. The combinations really are limitless, and it can do infinitely more things than I'd ever actually require it to do. Sounds really good, and there are quite a few presets I dig right off the bat. It has multiple high end amp sounds right inside. Very cool. After day 1, I'm satisfied. :thumbup:

• Hey Smoot! Cool toy, eh? The Kemper is top quality studio grade gear and all the optional control just means you have lots of different ways to approach/utilize it. If you start feeling overwhelmed I have a 3 step beginning suggestion for you:

1) As you scroll through the hundreds of sounds 1st thing I'd learn is how to mark the rigs you really like as "Favorites". After picking a dozen or so Faves I'd stop there. This will keep you from experiencing sonic overload. Just groove on your sounds for a while.

2) Next I'd fool around with "Clean and Distort Sense". Very important if you have multiple guitars with varying pick up outputs (single coil, humbuckers, etc). This input setting is storeable and name-able. Oh yeah, you'll want to learn how to name stuff.

3) Once you have your sounds and your guitar(s) dialed in, start goofing around with the FX's, verb, delay, etc. Learn how to store them to your rigs.

1, 2, 3 easy! Favorites, Clean/Distort input sense and FX's. The big fun begins when you're ready to dial down and tweak your faves. Just remember to have fun. If you ever get frustrated, just stop what you're doing and go play your best sounds.

The best part? There's more, so much more when you're ready ... Have fun!