wikpa.org - KPA Community Wiki

• I see your point! Just thought it would be easier for you to just copy things when you write them rather than having to recall them from everywhere. But feel free to play what makes you feel most at ease :)

• Just created this new section. Feel free to add your own ideas!

You can find the page here.

It's addressed from Tutorials -> Chasing Sounds -> How to get specific sounds on the Profiler.

The section has been started with Maurizio80's MXR Phase 90 settings :thumbup:

• If you guys have an idea how to organize the content in a more accessible (easier to find) way, you're most welcome to share your ideas here and we'll see how we can implement it. The current structure basically is the rough idea I had when I started the Wiki. Not much fine tuning to the community's demands yet. So there's plenty of room for improvement. :)

One thing to keep in mind though:
    In a Wiki system all pages (no exceptions) are in the same hierarchical level, there's actually no such thing like sub-pages or sub-sub-pages. This is the reason why we have to create some sort of navigation, lots of cross-links, etc.

• I was just thinking of this when I created the FX Settings page.
    One solution might be to create the site map, that is a virtual tree structure which shows all the levels "exploded" and clickable regardless the hierarchical physical page structure.

• The Profiler itself gives us two important ways of organizing pages:

• The Mode you are using (Tuner, Browser, Performance, Profiling)
    • The Signal Chain Sections (Stomp, Stack, Effects)

Also can organize by use case:

• Live Performance
    • Jamming/Practice
    • Auditioning Tones
    • Studio/Recording

Could also break down usage like this:

• Using with FRFR systems and recording
    • Using a Pre-Amp for a Guitar amp/cab
    • Using with both FRFR and a guitar amp/cab
    • Using as an FX unit for a real amp

Also...

• Hardware Setup (what all the outputs do, using the FX loop, hooking up to profile an amp, using wet/dry cabs on different outputs, etc.)
    • Incorporating External Hardware (stomps, rack processors, other modelers, MIDI controllers, etc.)
    • System (software) Setup (Input sensitivity, Rig Management, Updating Firmware, etc.)
    • DAW/Studio Integration

I find it can also be helpful to have a FAQ page and a Glossary page.

As Lightbox notes, really, there is no ONE official organization, although the sidebar is constant across pages. So we could make one or several "hub" style pages that just link to the actual content, but allow users to easily get to where they want to go (often called a site map).

The main goal is to make each page self-contained and fully explore its topic. It can still link to other pages, but the idea is to prevent redundancy; so that we don't have to update the same information in two locations and users don't end up on a page with a subset of the content they want. So for instance, instead of MIDI and MIDI Tutorials, we should just have a MIDI page, or we can break that up into MIDI setup and MIDI usage/tips.

Again, I haven't read the whole document. I'm getting familiar with it as I port it over. So I think that'll help me out with understanding some efficient ways to base our pages.

• Interesting ideas here.
    As for me, I'll add a couple of thoughts:

Main goal - IMO, wikpa.org's main goal is to allow users to easily find contents. In my vision (at leas because of the way I tend to look for information) tutorials come second, and could be a further option. But a search, when not systematic but aimed at a precise bit of information, seeks its satisfaction.

For example, if my USB stick is apparently not working and I'm looking for a solution (or possible causes) the homepage should lead me by hand to where I need to go. So

Hardware -> Other hardware (*)

seems a logic connection

Then there's the Troubleshooting section. I agree, we shall avoid redundancies for a lot of good reasons. So I believe we should just make a choice, elect one of the two pages as "the one", and link it from the other one. For example, in Troubleshooting the USB should appear as an entry (maybe in the

Troubleshooting -> Hardware Troubleshooting -> Other Hardware Troubleshooting -> USB stick -> See (*)

Finally, redundancy of paths, but uniqueness of contents.

As for the MIDI redundancy you quoted as an example, I'd face it in the same way, to accommodate different minds.

Since MIDI doesn't only contains How Tos, and teaching how to do things in the MIDI environment is just a subset of the whole matter, I'd see a MIDI main section with a Tutorial subsection, while in the Tutorials main section a couple of links would take the user for example to

MIDI -> Tutorial -> Setup

and

MIDI -> Tutorial -> Tricks

The main Tutorials section could be built for example as

Tutorials -> MIDI -> Setup
    Tutorials -> MIDI -> Troubleshooting
    Tutorials -> MIDI -> Implementation
    Tutorials -> MIDI -> Tips & Tricks
    Tutorials -> MIDI -> Controllers

again, choosing only one page to actually contain text for each issue, while all the other occurencies of the same issue just link the former.

What do you guys think? :)

• I'm 100% with you. My only concern is that it's difficult to break certain things up. Tutorials easily encroaches on setup, especially for something like MIDI, where the neat tips require setup to work. Hehe, see what I mean.

As you said though, the main point is to eliminate redundancy in content, but link to the content anywhere it is relevant.

• Yeah, I agree. I believe we'd suffice with making a choice, since there's no ONE way, as you said. The readers will just get accustomed to the way it works, since a standard for wikies is missing.
    OTOH, adding some further cross reference (such as "In order to see how to assign MIDI commands to Performance slots, see here") should do the job :)

• I've seen a discussion in another thread regarding special features in the Wiki. Tag Cloud was a keyword there.

My personal opinion is: Tag Clouds have no functional benefit, they are just typographical representations of some stats. If you need to see some stats, there's already a lot to discover in the so called "Special Pages". You find this link in the left column under Toolbox. Have fun discovering these special pages. :)
    One of them is "Popular Pages" where you can see which are the most successful pages so far. But there's a lot more.

I had a pretty busy week but I will try to design a more accessible structure and will try to explain so we can discuss it.
    Also I will try to organize an online community meeting where I can demo things, explain things and we can discuss and even immediately implement in the wiKPA.org Wiki.

• Happy new year everybody. :)
    It's been 7 months since we started the wiKPA.org community Wiki and there couldn't be a better day to celebrate more than 100.000 page views. This is great for a special interest site with only limited user base compared to other products with more market share.
    I want to thank all the helpful hands that made (and still continue to make) this a helpful resource! I'm very proud of this great community and the welcoming atmosphere in the Kemper forum. Let's make 2014 another great year for all of us. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

• Excellent wiki site with great information. Very useful for a new user like me. I've only had the Kemper for less than a month now however I'm very impressed with the collaborative efforts of the Kemper community. Don't want to sidetrack things however I have some thoughts about how we could possibly collaborate further at the local level.

I just play for fun at home, to take my mind off the day to day grind. I don't know jack about recording or anything related however I've been able to obtain some quality gear over time. I've made the assumption that profiling my gear, at home, with my limited knowledge of acoustics and without access to quality mics, will probably lead to subpar results. Which sucks because I have some things I personally would like to have profiled and I also believe the Kemper community would like to have access to, for example a Scumback 4x12 with PVC speakers and EC grillcloth and tons of quality pedals; Analogman, Skreddy, Foxrox, etc.

So the idea in my head would be to leverage the 'critical mass' that the community may now have to organize local profiling sessions, for example here in Atlanta, GA. Perhaps someone has access to a good recording environment or studio, has recording knowledge others don't, gear to profile, etc and collectively we can generate some profiles of the quality you might find commercially. Even if we had to get studio time we could probably do some shareware type of approach; enjoy the profiles then donate $1 type thing. Not personally interested in turning this into a commercial business or something related.

So the question is, has anyone tried to organize such an effort to date? Are we still at a point where the user population is too small and geographically distributed for it to be viable? Thoughts?

• Thanks dyer_maker for your appreciation :)

I find yours to be an excellent idea, even tho your last thought might actually be a concern.
    In Italy, for example, the highest users density should be in Rome, and we are actually... two or three LOL