Powerhead or non-powered?

• Hi all,

I'm new to Kemper and this Forum.

Just had the opportunity to test a Kemper (without power amp) for the last two weeks - but unfortunately too less time, to really test it in deep. I played it at home through the power amp of a self built tube-amp and very short on one rehearsal through the direct out into our PA. I'm really impressed by the Kemper, especially the sound at home (not sooo glad in the rehearsal room via PA without monitor, but I had only 15 minutes to test a little bit, so I'm sure it's my fault).

But I need your recommendation now: Which version should I buy, the non-powered version or the power-amp? Most of the time I would use it in the rehearsal room, for gigs I think it might go into the PA (or not!?).
    My options would be:

• Buy the power amp and use my self-built 2x12 Celestion Vintage 30 box in the rehearsal room and for monitoring on stage (or even producing the whole guitar sound in smaller venues). This would of course mean, that the box would colour the sound of the rigs (with cab-sim off, of course).
    • Buy the non-powered version plus a separate power amp (I would go with a Rocktron Velocity 300, because that might be affordable for me) and use the box like mentioned above.
    • Buy the non-powered version plus a separate active monitor box (like the DXR10, which seems to be good when reading this forum) and forget my 2x12

I'm really unsure, also because up to now there is not too much information from users or testers to be found about the sound/quality of the new power-head.
    Has anybody here experience with these alternatives and can give me a hint what to do?

Thanks in advance

Tom

P.S.: If you look at my alias: Yes, I have been playing it for some years, the "King of the digital amps", the Hughes&Kettner zenTera. Still like it a lot, but it has to go now. If anybody is interested in it, please leave me a message.

Edited once, last by zenTera ().

• Hi and welcome! :)
    In the end it's all about your preferences.
    It's not easy to anticipate if you will be happy going the FRFR route (option 3) or if you're a guitar cab guy by heart (option 1,2).
    But you could for a start also do this: buy the unpowered one, go into the return of your Zentera and keep it for a while. See if you like it. If not, sell it and buy an FRFR like the DXR. That would be option 4. ;)

Sound and quality- wise unpowered and powered KPA's are the same.

• As far as I know, the powered versions are "only" mono. There is no stereo amplifying with them (this is no disadvantage for me as I'm only playing in mono, but maybe for you). I would always choose the non-powered versions, because this way I can choose between different ways of amplifying (solid state amp, tube amp, head, combo, powered speakers etc.).

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• i think non-powered would give you more options.thats why i chose that version.and if you are going to be playing live i would go for the rack which will sit securely on top of a cab if need be.

More options with a non powered version ??? If you'll buy a powered version you will have ALL options of the non-powered KPA PLUS the 600W-amp. ;) By the way, the powerhead also looks great on a cab, the rack-version is missing the leds for bass, middle, treble, presence and volume.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• More options with a non powered version ??? If you'll buy a powered version you will have ALL options of the non-powered KPA PLUS the 600W-amp.

EXCEPT for the (IMO important) option of stereo amplification à la camplifier.
    So I think londonjeepster has a point.

• EXCEPT for the (IMO important) option of stereo amplification à la camplifier.
    So I think londonjeepster has a point.

And Matrix has something in development too.

But, all in all, if a mono amplification is what you need I think the power head (or rack) is the good choice, less cables more convenient and well integrated interface.

As a FRFR active speakers user I don't want the extra weigh of those kinds of solutions.

• ... but is all that power actually needed?

I'm starting now to experiment with my KPA with a spare EHX Magnum 44 attached to a Celetison GT<something> speaker (no cab simulation), and it seems quite loud already... taking two of them to go stereo should cost less than the mono powered amp solution, and I think should be loud enough for most of giggin' situations...

If i had the chance maybe today I'd buy the rack model, but I'd stay non-powered...

• get the powered version , if you buy the non powered you cannot upgrade it later as there is no option to add the poweramp to the kemper either yourself or by sending to a shop , other than buying another unit new. . But if you decide later you want the powered one you will have to sell yours and buy another new one with power amp installed .

or get the camplifer ones you can apparently add those on later, im in this situation now , I would like a power amp version but i bought my kemper before the power amp was released so i might get the camplifer.