Posts by MrHighway

I mainly play at home so probably don't need to use XLR - XLR at all, but til I get that new cable I will use it for now.

It does have SPDIF and I was using it for a bit but it had clocking issues so I sorta stopped and kinda preferred the analogue sound. Also as I switch often between using it online and in the room its a bit annoying have to change between internal and spdif all the time.

I put the main output volume back to -12db (it was on -45db before as the xlr - xlr output was so loud!). I used 2 x guitar cables this time and pressed the -12db effect on the Profiler. Alot more manageable now and enough volume without any need for preamp gain.

Seems to be working ok, though I've just ordered a female XLR - TRS cable to try, to see if it sounds any different. The TRS side that goes into the interface will now bypass the mic preamps and I won't need to use any gain at all (I still have to use a tiny bit now if using xlr - xlr though not as much as before).

Ok so managed to speak to a tech on the live chat. He said if I'm running direct to interface and then active speakers then its not power amp related. I installed the latest versions of the software so running 9.0.5 now. Had a quick test through the headphone port and all sounds good.

He also advised to switch to a line level output into my interface and also for online streaming, a Yamaha MG10 mixer. Usually I go xlr out the main output into one of the ports but its dual input for line/mic. But as I'm using an XLR connection its probably detecting it a a microphone. If using my interface through my Yamaha HS8's I'll just do 2 xlr's out the back of the Kemper into the front ports on the interface (Focusrite 8i6).

Will see later on though if I get this signal output problem after the updates.

Been experiencing a very weak/fuzzy signal coming out the Profiler at times for the past month or two. Sometimes there's no signal at all. It sounds like a fuzzy distorted radio and there's also a hiss noise. Usually I'd switch everything off including the interface and laptop and power back on and its ok but its happening more often so it could be something like a power amp failure?

I've checked all my connections and all seems correct, I did notice once the input light didn't glow green so I changed cable, and when I started it up again it was working however I switched back to the old cable and it still works so I don't think its the cable.

I will mention as well I haven't ever updated the OS since I first got it in 2020, but its worked fine up until now. Do the newer versions fix power amp bugs? I think I have to install an older version first, then the latest one after that.

If I can avoid sending it to Germany for repair it'd be good, I don't know how much a power amp repair costs and also if it is power amp failure I can always use an aftermarket one like the Palmer Macht 402 or the Seymour Duncan Powerstage? I've read they're supposed to be better than the in-built Kemper one anyway.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Tried again with an instrument cable from main output L. The output volume was -0.32db so I adjusted to 0.13db and now I have sound!

Not tried XLR cable yet but I think this should work solely for Zoom lessons. If its general jamming or the lessons are in-person I'll use SPDIF.

Yes, done all that and it's all working ok now.

Next issue to sort is on Zoom people can't hear any music that is playing, only my guitar so if I am demonstrating a song part they can't hear both. Its really bugging me that I can't solve this!

I've tried using a guitar cable from main out to the Focusrite but it doesn't work. In Focusrite control I've enabled analogue 1 to monitor output but I'm not getting any sound.

EDIT: The volume was set to -32db which I've adjusted to about -0.13 and there's sound coming but its very fuzzy.

Also my main issue is when I'm testing recording something on my laptop webcam it is only picking up the guitar, and not any backing audio off Spotify.

Haven't tried the headphones yet through the Focusrite. But I did manage to get sound coming out of my monitors and through Zoom last night with lessons, just not from main output.

Its the 8i6 3rd generation interface.

Output is set to master mono yes (I think!).

I used the XLR mic cable earlier today for a lesson and it was working fine.

I thought so lol. So I should have the female xlr (Kemper main out) to 1/4” (interface side) instead then?

Or xlr to xlr? I tried with a guitar cable but it didn’t work for some reason. Zoom will not detect a line signal only analogue 1+2.

I tried the xlr microphone cable as well which didn't work either, maybe it wasn't plugged into the correct port. I did notice my vocal mic kept cutting in an out though so could possibly be a dodgy xlr perhaps.

you should actually be able to use a standard 1/4” instrument cable from the main out to the interface input without any need for an XLR to 1/4” cable.

I tried this earlier but it wasn't detecting it at all. As far as I know the cable isn't faulty and on Focusrite control I enabled analogue 1+2 inputs

Yes I am using a 1/4" to male xlr jack (1/4" from Kemper to XLR in Focusrite). I think it should be the female xlr from main out on Kemper?

Dammit I bought the wrong cable! Lol.

I tested it with a student tonight on Zoom and he could hear my guitar which is good, just the audio was a bit loud this time as a live stream so balancing the two was tricky. I plugged my acoustic guitar in and set the input as instrument and it worked fine. So should I do the same with my Kemper input via 1/4"?

But yeah I think maybe if I get the opposite cable of what I got today it may make it better?

default is Master Stereo.

Once set to mono it doesn’t matter whether you plug into left or right

Ok, I think its now on master mono - I actually had to plug it from monitor output to get any sound though.

Should the connection end be xlr from the Kemper instead of a 1/4"? Cos I think I got the wrong cable (male xlr). Should it be a female xlr out of main kemper then TRS/1/4" into the front of the interface so it detects it as an instrument and not a mic?

*rather than hijack/derail someone else's thread I thought I'd make my own.

I've been trying to take a mono signal from my Kemper to my Focusrite interface to use for Zoom guitar lessons. Unfortunately Zoom doesn't pickup SPDIF as a mic input so my only option is to use analogue 1+2 on the front of the interface for 1 xlr mic for talking and then mono Kemper signal for the guitar.

I plugged a 1/4" to XLR jack from the main output L to the Focusrite port, set the monitor outputs on the control software but no sound. Its picking up my xlr mic so its not the mix, and the cable is brand new.

Only when I switched to the monitor output port did I get any sound, and I did a test with a quick webcam video but the audio from Spotify playing with my guitar is very quiet (guitar louder than Spotify audio). I've tried adjusting the levels in Focusrite control but still can barely hear the backing track.

Is there something I have forgotten to do somewhere? And why did I only get sound when I went monitor output and not main out?

The cable turned up unexpectedly today! I plugged the 1/4" into the L of main output then the XLR into analogue 2 of the Focusrite, but its not picking up any sound from the Kemper? I've set the monitor output for both analogue 1+2?

Yes but also set the output to Master Mono or you will lose one half of any stereo effects.

Cool i think it’s set as that a default anyway but will double check this. Got a 1/4” to xlr mono jack on the way so hoping this will get me through Zoom lessons. Does it matter which port I plug it into i.e left or right?

Sorry to possibly derail the thread a little bit but I am doing guitar lessons via Zoom which I will be using my Kemper, the Focusrite interface I am using has 2 xlr ports, and I plan to take a mono signal out from the main out of the Kemper to Zoom as it can't detect SPDIF.

Is 1 x 1/4" to XLR jack sufficient to do a mono signal? I don't think stereo is necessary for a live guitar lesson sound esp if the set up on the other side isn't as good as mine.