Posts by MrHighway

I will probably only need 2-3 "performance" banks or whatever they're called. The teaching one will be 2 amps, a Fender and Marshall profile so I have my clean/dirty sounds and those two amps cover most rock/pop/blues stuff anyway. Maybe another day I need a Vox AC30 type crunch sound or a Matchless, etc. Then there'll my high gain ones, 5150/Mesa/Diezel VH4 etc. I can have different amps to choose from however I'm feeling.

General home playing I can browse and add according to whatever song I'm doing.

Its only if a particular song has multiple effects like chorus/delay/reverb etc and there's different sections in the song where they're all used at different points. Usually I'm not a massive effects user anyway but for leads and stuff delay and reverb add more sheen!

Ok, so if I was to profile my 6505+ head into my Orange PPC412 cab with V30's, unless I play out of the Kabinet or some monitors I'll get the sound of the branded speaker cabinet I'd be using?

Yeah I'm a tutor so different songs need different amp sounds, I think from that video you can store up to 125 performances (i.e songs)?

I would probably be more simple than that and just have 2-3 sounds as said before, I'm so used to 2-channel amps I just need a good clean and the facility to switch to a dirty sound mid-song.

Agree with scrolling up and down 287 (and more if you add your own) profiles haha. Not good mid-lesson if you change songs!

Ah so its meant to be used in performance mode! And up to 5 different profiles can be used! Wow!

Thanks for sharing this it seems simple enough, to be honest I'd primarily only need 2 sounds during a song but I could need a 3rd one for say, a solo or one with a special effect.

I have seen the main remote foot controller and a 2 way footswitch to use with the Profiler. Me being old-school I've usually used 2 channel amps and set up a clean and dirty sound and like to switch with a single press of a button.

So with the KPA what I find appealing is I can have 1 dedicated amp profile for my cleans (e.g a Fender amp) and 1 for my dirty (Marshall). I would presume I can do this simple switch with the 2-way footswitch but is it better if I get the main remote controller anyway? I mean, I may want another 2 amps saved too say, if I'm doing a solo or there's a different section mid-song.

Also I can't see to find any instructions on how to store the amp profile as a "patch" so I can just press on the foot controller to get to it.

Thanks Wheresthedug I pretty much want the default speaker to active when I change to a particular profile. Only the hi-gain profiles I would want a V30 speaker but I presume the 5150/Mesa Dual Rec/Diezel VH4 profiles would have that as default anyway.

I'm pondering whether to get one or just a standard 1x12 by say, Orange. There is like £100 between the two so do you think I should spend the extra money for it? It'll be mainly for home use as I'm old school and much prefer that "amp in the room" sound.

If I used, say an Orange PPC112 it'd colour the tone too much wouldn't it?

I would want the Fender Twin profile, for example to sound like a Fender Twin amp, a 5150 profile to sound like its blasting out of a Mesa 4x12, etc. This I wouldn't get out of a standard 1x12 right?

Yes it is too short so I didn’t even attempt to try it.

I don’t have access to my Orange 4x12 cab to try it so I have no idea if the power amp is damaged.

Also the display’s backlight doesn’t come on when first starting up and never comes on when browsing profiles so the unit was obviously faulty before I got it so I think it needs to be fixed cos that’s a hardware issue.

Yeah the backlight is still the main issue and I don't wanna be gigging under dark lights with it! It was always going to be difficult at first moving straight from tube amps but like you say I can see myself liking it, some of the Fender champion/twin clean profiles are lush!

I will try it through monitors too apparently it sounds better but takes getting used to.

Hoping it doesn't take too long for this to be turned around.

After all this time I was using a separate speaker cable! And yes you are right the Kemper power amp could blow that speaker. Obviously with a passive cab e.g a 2x12 or something I'd hook it up exactly like a head as there's no other sources between amp and cab.

And yeah you're right its not long enough to get the Kemper anyway so no use in trying haha. FX loop method it is then, for the time being anyway until I get myself a nice Kabinet!

You can run straight into them I think but as I want to do recording with the Kemper I will need an interface eventually.

Also! I think I may be connecting my Kemper to my Marshall DSL incorrectly. What I noticed is there's ALREADY a cable coming out of the DSL amp into the speaker cabinet of the amp. It is this cable that I suspect that I have to plug into the Kemper and not a separate one! That would explain why I wasn't getting any sound.

So you're referring to this one that's already plugged into the actual red speaker out put socket as shown?

[Blocked Image: https://kitarablogi.files.word…l5c-e28093-back-panel.jpg]

I think I get what you mean now cos that's already connected to the Marshall power amp? So I simply that out and put it into the red speaker output of the Kemper?

https://media.sweetwater.com/a…-ProfilePwrRk_detail2.jpg[Blocked Image: https://media.sweetwater.com/a…-ProfilePwrRk_detail2.jpg]

Ah right I get you, so in the output settings I think the last page is the Power amp option, that should be turned off (I must remember to turn it back on though if I use a cab live!)

Yeah I mean I do like Marshall cabs for certain amps but as you say they will colour the tone a bit. I have a liking for V30 speakers too.

Definitely will get a Kemper Kabinet once this unit is fixed, I'm just so annoyed I can't use it to its maximum potential.

I have a pair of monitors too that I will be using directly from the unit, this is 2 x TRS cables right? The monitors are Mackie CR4's.

Yeah I think with it being such a small amp it may not handle such a large power amp. I've played a few times via the FX loop though at reasonable volume and it seems to be working fine. I turn the cab sim off though as it sounds terrible haha. Basically I should turn the power amp off on the Kemper?

I prefer the sound of moving air through physical speakers as I'm quite old school - I've been playing for over 20 years via tube amps.

Am I better off getting the Kemper Kabinet so I can use solely as a speaker without messing with another combo amp's pre-amps?

Hmm, why am I getting buzzing and hissing through my speaker then? Is it because it has an FX loop in it? It works when I run a cable out of main output (L) then into the return of the combo speaker's FX loop. Is the DSL5 speaker not able to handle 600w of power amp wattage?

They said they can fix it as its still under warranty, but I would have to cover the shipping costs. My first option is to ask the store who sold it to me to arrange it or send me a new one, as I was under no impression the backlight didn't work in the item description.

When I first powered it on and browsed profiles, there were 327 of them, the factory brand-new number is 287 so obviously the previous owner added a few!

Yeah the backlight never stays on and didn't light up when first switched the unit on. I've spoken to Kemper and they have diagnosed this as a hardware issue.

And I would like to try it through my Orange 4x12 cab but its in storage at someone else's house however, and with the lockdown we're not allowed out. I have a friend who has the exact same Kemper and he's connected it through 4x12 speakers fine.

I got an ex-demo version of the Power rack delivered yesterday. I have noticed a couple of things that lead to suspect the unit may be faulty.

1. The factory profiles seem to have different names to the amps we all know, so instead of saying "Vox AC-30" or "Peavey 5150" they have different spellings, e.g "V 150". Have these been changed or are they meant to be like that? They are the Martin Britt profiles. So is this an update? I can't see amps like the Bugera/Buddha/Blackstar/etc unless they're under a different name. Has the previous owner in the store I bought it from changed this by deleting the factory profiles? And adding their own?

2. The backlight on the display goes out after a few minutes, making it very hard to see when browsing profiles under dim lighting. It comes on for a bit when in system mode and I try to adjust brightness, etc but it goes out. Shouldn't it stay on permanently? How do I switch it on?

3. I had trouble connecting to a speaker cabinet despite following the correct connections from speaker output to the input of the combo amp speaker. The amp is a DSL5 with a detachable jack into a 1x10" speaker. It was only when I used the FX loop and turned on the amp that I got any sound, but as the unit is a powered one I shouldn't have had to do this? I changed output settings to live cab and monitor output was on? What else should I have changed?

If the above 3 aren't normal behaviours for a new unit then I may have to conclude the unit is faulty.

Hi everyone this is my first post! I received my delivery of my Kemper Power rack today!

Its the powered version and I was originally wanting to run it straight into my Marshall DSL5 combo amp 1 x 10 16ohm speaker. I was under the impression that I simple take a speaker cable, and plug into the speaker output on the back of the Kemper into the speaker jack on the back of the DSL5. Just like I would with a normal cabinet.

I did this and didn't get any sound, after checking cab sims and output settings I couldn't get anything out of the speaker.

Then...I tried going via the FX loop of the combo, so speaker cable out from main output (L) on the Kemper into the DSL5 return of the FX loop. Reconnected detachable speaker lead on the DSL5 and hey presto I got sound, but why would it not give me the option to go directly into the speaker? Cos effectively I'm using the combo as a power-amp now aren't I?

Do I turn something on/off in the Kemper output settings? I haven't tried it through a 4x12 yet but I have a suspicion if the cabinet/amp has an FX loop the only way to run it is to use that?