Posts by Dynochrome

I think Silent Lucidity turned Queensryche from rockers into musicians.

They were musicians way before EMPIRE. I'm sure you've heard Operation Mindcrime. There is more musicianship there than many will most would ever achieve. Best concept album since 2112. Just saw what was left of them last week. Super great show. Played a bunch of old cuts. Queen of the reich, lady wore black, take hold of the flame etc. The singer was nailing it. I am a huge Geoff Tate fan but Todd was killing it. Better than what Geoff could do now. You just can't let yourself go...

Silent Lucidity is the only Queensryche song I cannot stand and would never want to play. I guess I just despise it because when you bring up Queensryche it's what most people know that aren't really into them. The "default" song.

He uses either the amp/cab volume

It would seem weird and unnatural in my way of thinking to turn up or down a cab. Turning an amp up or down however would be completely natural, and it works for me. I'll have to watch that again because I don't recall him mentioning cab volume to level but he for sure could have. Maybe when switching cabs with the same profile? That was a good, down to earth video. He doesn't get nerdy with it, just gets the job done well. (not that I dislike nerdy by all means).

Like this? :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Or Metallica "justice". If I had to learn those bass parts I' be screwed. But I was saying this mostly from my own band experience with members using tones like that.

This is a great idea. I am glad you posted that. I haven't set my morphs up yet and now I will do them this way. I like the idea of being able to see some lights change to show me that my volume just got bumped up.

I set up volume boosts on the tap button. That way if I add some effects too, I can go right back to where I started with one button press instead of having to tap dance through effects to shut them off when I come out of a lead back into vocals. When you sing lead and play lead, tap dancing isn't an option. I love that the KPA gives me that option.

Sorry if I've created a duplicate thread.

Doesn't bother me any. I'm not one of those people that get uptight when somebody posts on a "zombie" thread either. Sometimes later info or questions are just as relevant as hen they were first asked. Sometimes search engines don't get me the posts I'm looking for.

I like the idea of being able to see some lights change to show me that my volume just got bumped up.

Right, so I set up my volumes to be even with amp volume then I can see on rig volume ring: "Ok +3 over that is a good solo volume". And use that as a reference when morphing. Back to noon is my "normal volume" Pretty soon you get to see what is the right amount for volume boosts and can duplicate them where needed. Sometimes clean/distortion sounds will react differently because of compression but that is the reason for the reference so you can start somewhere you know. If you used rig volume for leveling, it would be harder to obtain that reference quickly.

Of course to really set volumes you need to be playing in a mix. I can't tell you how many times I have sat in my room getting clean, distortion and boost levels "perfect" just to find out they are nowhere near close when actually playing live. And the FOH will have a different opinion as well. I will try to satisfy them as a priority, so they're not jacking my levels around if something is poking out. When trying out new performances during soundcheck, I'll ask "how are my clean/dirty/ boost levels? Once I get an OK, I know I'm on the right track and add that to my knowledge setting them up at home. Normally people will set clean sounds too loud and make their distortions sound wimpy when switched. And I found I usually need a LOT more boost that I would have thought I needed at home to get to album "lead level".

I use the volume in the amplifier module. That way I can keep rig volume at noon for "normal" and morph rig volume for leads and see the ring move. If I used rig volume, It would be going all over and I wouldn't have a good reference point to quickly dial up lead volumes consistently. I recall a video with MB saying he does this also. (use amp volume) Some will say to use rig volume but the manual reads about rig volume: Use this parameter to adjust the level of each Rig to suit a song in a set list, we don’t recommend using it to balance the levels between all the Rigs.

I was concerned this would drive the reverb & delay harder but was told by a reliable member, ( I never tested it driven real hard) that somehow things before the rev and delay won't drive them harder (magic?)  There is a recent thread about this and some older ones too where we discussed this in bit of detail.

turns out there was no bass on the guitars but a huge tone from the (happy) bass player.

I remember in the later 80's-early 90 when guitarists were doing the big scoop sounds that had tons of low end. Bass players were drowned out and covered up. I'd hear them say "I might as well just turn it off". Then bass players started having this real midrangy cutting, springy sound with less bass to be heard through the detuned, bass heavy guitars. So the guitars were playing bass and bass taking the middle.

I like how everyone is saying how diminished the bass is to get this sound, but all the detuned guys think they have to have these big amps with giant transformers and OS recto cabs to push the bass when most of that bass ends up being extracted to make it tight.

In reality, all that bass translates OK when you're standing in front of your cab but not so good in the mix. I totally agree with almost all the responses here. I think people just get it in their heads that lower bass = thin. I don't think the guitar has a lot to offer under 125 hz in a mix. Let the bass take that space.

I have played a couple JTM 45s an original and a re-issue through Pre-rola greenies. I'm not trying to sell this to anybody, just reporting my discovery for the sake of discussion . I downloaded the Top Jimi. JT 45 Reissue Pack a few months back (the reissue in the budget bin not the vintage one ) and at first wasn't real thrilled, (now I can't figure out why!) and played them for a night and 1/2, and "archived" them. I didn't think it was bad at first but didn't think i would really use it for much. A few months later, I pulled these back out with my 335 /w/ 57 plus and I was blown away. I played them with my Charvel /w/ JB pickups turned down a bit and they worked great too, real responsive to the type of guitar/pickups you're using. I recorded them and played them for hours. I went back and listened to the demo on the website and realized those great tones could be had and found out exactly which profiles were used. Take a listen to that demo, to me, that is a great JTM rendition, kinda hollow like early marshalls and a bit unfocused & random on the bottom end when pushed, but that slight looseness is what makes things fat I have learned over the years (like a Fender Bassman gets). Things that are real crisp and tight (Modern high gain) don't often sound as big as when the distortion is "loosing it" a bit. (for vintage sounds) I have quite a few "pro" packs and the "realness" and the "upfrontness" of this pack holds it own against hundreds of 5 star rigs I've tried. Has that bit of looseness that at first turned me off, but realized later how big I could make these sound. I even got a very convincing Queensryche "Empire" Sound with a cranked profile & high output pickups, but I would say this pack is best suited for dynamic low mid gain and vintage rock tones. I just had to report this as I think this pack has slipped under the radar and IMO is a solid 5 star pack for what it is meant to do.

I think his point is that they aren't fully parametric though. Presumably the benefit of a full parametric EQ on the monitor out would be to compensate for specific problem frequencies on bad stages.

I see, but I'm not asking for all that, Personally, I'm happy with the separate EQ the way they are, just would like HP/LPF to be separate and was surprised they weren't when I got my KPA. It just seemed like it would have made sense.

I think the point here is getting your sound right in advance.

Yes but as we have been saying getting the sound right can mean a lot of different things depending on what's amplifying it for the ears. On a big P.A. with crispy horns that produce cymbal freqs, and big powered subs , Letting the top and bottom go too far would not be getting it right in advance. In the studio or just playing through a cab, "right" may be much different.

I treat it like a regular amp and let the sound engineer make any changes to their PA

Me too basically but trimming up the top and bottom makes things a lot easier and only has positive impact. No sense taking up headroom to the pre if the engineer is just going to cut it anyway. I don't EQ because I agree that would be soundboard job, but I'll trim the fat.