Posts by Dynochrome

yep, I do play at home through studio monitors most of the time and enjoy having reverb and delay in stereo but wouldn’t want to use it that way live and wouldn’t want to have to separate amps running either but maybe I’m just too old skool ?

No I don't think so. IMO Stereo live is "amateurish". Big time guitar players playing big arenas aren't stereo. One side would get shorted on sound like listening to Van Halen one with one speaker out. It would have no positive impact on the audience. Panning FX would at the board but there is no real point in doing it in clubs. At home, I love doing it but live I want a mono mix. The stereo part would come automatically with the room and your ears.

I look at it like this. Does anybody complain that a 68 marshall plexi tone is "outdated" and needs to be upgraded? (Well there may be some) Or a 57 twin isn't any good anymore because there are newer amps that do this or that?

I have played both of those aforementioned amps and can tell you good tone is good tone. I can make my Kemper sound just as good if not better than those amps so how can that be "improved"? It already has, it's called a Kemper profiler. If you have something that sounds indistinguishable from the original what is the need for a shiny new thing? I have a Kemper with a 68 plexi and 57 twin built in. If I want something else I can have it too. Sound wise, a Kemper can never become outdated any more than a vintage amp collection would.

BTW this is an often overlooked feature of immense value.

No other contender has it.

Agreed. I LOVE this about the design. It's "compressed" but not compressed. More like automatically leveled. The leveling seems adjustable by the clean sense but so far I usually just use the volume in the Amp stack and nudge a bit one way or another. So far I've never needed more than a couple DB and less if I stay with the same profile set. If I mix between different profile makers, Even though all the levels are set the same, they will have different volumes.

Another testimony to how well thought out the Kemper is is that the volume pedal and wah position are read even though they are not engaged. I love that! No jumps. If you engage the wah with the pedal cocked back it reads that instantly instead of having to wiggle it to tell it where it is like units I've used in the past. Turn the wah boost on with heel back and it mutes. As soon as you engage pedals they act like standalone analog devices.

Yes, it should do.

Thank you so much, this is perfect! It gives me the option to have the whole performance or just one slot.

I had this all down before but so I don't have to go back through everything in the manual, may I ask you since wah/volume button is global, Does it control both Browser and performance modes or are they separate? That being said, does wah/volume button control all performances (guessing so)?

Either set one performance slot to specifically have no Wah and load a Wah Boost in there instead. This effectively makes the Wah a volume pedal without the need to use Wah>Volume.

Thanks, I never would have thought to go this way. So I gather since I don't need a wah in a slot the wah booster knows to use the wah pedal correct?

I'll let someone else comment on if that's possible but I run a separate pedals ( which uses more real estate of course) to avoid this confusion.

I assume you are trying to avoid this :)

Interestingly for me, I never really use my volume pedal though.....mute I use the tuner, morphing for boosts, cleaning up guitar volume but for some reason I still like to have it ;)

I usually have no use for a volume pedal except for when I want to play "BY-TOR and the Snow dog" or swell delayed special effect sounds. So I only need to have it for one slot and off all the rest of the time. I absolutely would not want to add another pedal just for volume.

Thanks for the follow-up, Dynochrome . I’d love to hear A/B clips with and without room if you care to share.

I never A/B'd a recording. I did when mixing and then chose slider positions and mixed down. Normally I do the same as Michael Wagner

where at the end I commit all mics to a mono track. Sometimes a stereo track. I could probably set up the mic again and record something for you but I don't subscribe to any way that I could share it. I didn't do anything "secret". I simply recorded direct mono out Kemper and used a Spark mic on my CL80 oversized openback cab about 5' away. I messed with panning and did some OK stuff but in the end I think I liked both tracks straight up with the room mic about 45% of what the direct was. I was just impressed that it didn't create any phase issues. I thought for sure it would, but the live mic at 5' away the latency should be about what the Kemper's is. I have a harder time getting 2 mics to sound good than I did the Kemper + mic! I was very pleased to see that it created no issues. Reviewing the track, I think the room mic is optional and I'd bet I could get close using a time based effect on a cloned direct Kemper track. For now, I tore the room mic down and will go back to direct only. I just wanted to see hat would happen and was very surprised that the tracks worked together so well without trying.

That's what had me fooled as I had thought that all rig settings were rig dependent and not global. I'm going to have to go back and review options again. I'm trying to set my performance so the wah has to be switched on to work and when off, there is volume control on one slot only.

That's why I was trying to store wah/volume in that slot only (unsuccessfully).

I think there is a way but I will have to review again, I may recall there being a place to select volume or none for a rig dependent option, and I'd have to have that off for all other slots but one and turn on global wah/volume.

I have my unit set in performance mode so that the wah only functions when engaged and no volume pedal when off. So I am in performance mode and went to a slot then pressed rig settings button and selected wah/volume so that the volume pedaL would be on and pressed save. Locks are not on but to my surprise all the slots in the performance were using the volume pedal! I had thought rig settings were saved with and slot dependent. What am I missing here? I just want that ONE slot to have volume access.

I have to report that after all my worrying, calculating & measuring, the ones that were implying "just try it" were correct.

I had my Kemper going mono out to my recording console and put a condenser room mic about 5 feet away and a great sound was immediate. I'd consider it major label album sound.

To be fair, it sounded best when the Kemper was doing the brunt of the work, but the room mic added the "magic" amp in a room I was missing recording. I was surprised that playing the room mic solo sounded distant, phasey and not that great in comparison to the Kemper track, ( Normally if I would record just that mic that way it would sound pretty good to me) but surprisingly huge with the Kemper direct and better than either track on it's own.

Live in a big room adding that mic would probably be a deficit but in the studio it's awesome, and I am floored by how instantly it worked and sounded great with zero adjusting and absolutely no phase issues at all. (You can tell because it actually helped the low end!) Mics, levels, hit record, mix= perfect! Easy!!! Thank you Kemper for making this tool! The last of my live use tube amps are getting sold this week. (Not vintage stuff) I just can't see any reason to keep them and I was a HUGE tube snob with a crate of vintage tubes. Using my ears and fingers (as well as the portability) has me saying bye bye to a lot of my gear.

I use either an EQ or Delay's Level setting to +6db. Then assign that EQ or Delay to a footswitch on the remote.

Do you use reverb after that? (Assuming EQ & Delay are not in the last slot) Just wondering because if I boost before FX it (naturally) magnifies them out of where I want them to be. Interesting to see the different methods, I guessed most would use rig volume....

Actually thinking back the mids thing might be a bit misleading as it actually may not be 1db of mids or 750Hz exactly, I'm getting mixed up with my go to settings on my Axe FX 3 and any other equipment I might use.

My solo boost on the Kemper is actually my main rhythm profile, in the Amp Stack I add 1.0 on the mid pot and add 4 dB on the rig volume plus usually I add 2.0 on the gain also. Then I add more delay or reverb etc to taste.

Isn't that awesome to be able to EQ, boost, add gain and FX levels with one tap!! + super easy to set up! I like the bumping mid idea some have been reporting!

I was guessing I might need 2-3 DB but at home with no drums playing I always shoot too low! As I said, I've shocked myself coming home and switching from rhythm to lead sounds I had programed live to be "just right". After a while you start to learn your particular rig and what you need but I rarely will home program a lead to be too loud, it's usually too low even knowing it needs to be louder that what you likely would guess. Normally people in the audience will use their memory of the album as what to expect for it to "sound good". Lead volumes from rhythms can never be enough just boosting the front of an amp with a tubescreamer (unless the amp is set clean then it can get close) Leads on major albums are turned up a LOT from the rhythm sound normally, right up with the lead vocal or more.