Posts by lbieber

Gain stages of most tube amps are neutral? That's not even close to accurate. But I suppose neutral could mean different things to different people. First, THE gain stage is not an accurate concept in terms of almost all guitar amps. There are multiple stages where coloration can and does occur in almost every guitar amp. A Fender Super Reverb has two(normal and vibrato) channels with different gains in the path as an example. There is the amplitude related distortion in several stages in that amp as well as in the phase inverter and output section. Compare a Super with volume at two to the same amp at ten. It sounds like coloration to me. In fact, isn't that the whole point of profiling an amp with different gain settings? If the gain of the profiler was about as neutral as most tube amps then there wouldn't be a need to profile across the full gain range. I must be missing something here. ?(

Having a sub for every band member is not really feasible, I think.

It's feasible, at least for me. ;) Booking gigs takes a level of effort that I am not ever willing to waste just because someone can't work. Having a substitute isn't completely transparent in my case. I quite often remove 'complicated' songs from the night and replace them with others. The complication is usually related to specific starts, stops, and hits that will sound bad if not done right. I avoid those.

For me, it's not as easy as just liking the sound. I like the sound of a cab and studio monitors. I'm looking for the best way to be able to edit sounds at home, and have them be very close to the same thing FOH. When you use a cab and cabdriver, What you hear and what goes FOH or to desk can be very different.

I edit sounds at home for both as you mention. I have the luxury of having a PA in my music room. I connect the toaster mains to the mixer/PA and the powered toaster output to a guitar cab. I can listen to either one separately or both together. I try to tweak for the best balance so that the FOH channel at the gig can be setup flat. This reduces my reliance on the sound guy to do something 'special' to my FOH. Yes, PAs are different but this is the best that I've been able to come up with. I also choose the cab model to be consistent with the guitar cab that I am using in order to minmize the difference.

Yup, the show must go on by any and all means possible. In truth, I've always been able to work through it for myself. I've had issues with band members not making a show for various reasons - some related to health and some not. This has lead me to being able to sing all songs so that I am never without a singer. Then I have a list of backup musicians that I can call on when needed.

Follow up on Kemper support in response to another email from me:

Marc @ Kemper Amps Support

I don't have more than this response for you. The log you've sent over doesn't show anything special that needs further analysis.

With best regards, Marc

Kemper Amps Support Team

Looks like Kemper is done as far as "supporting" my issue. This is my first interaction with the support team and I have heard good things about them from posts on this forum. I have also seen posts where users were frustrated with the the level of support they received. So, count me in the frustrated group.

The following 2 sentence word salad from support has me baffled: We've introduced the error message you're seeing as a result of frequent support inquiries which indicated USB related issues. The issue itself was present all the time. Perhaps this is a sentence constructed by a non-native English writer? It makes zero sense. The overall message is that I'm on my own to figure it out. Maybe this will motivate me to hang a scope on the lines and attach the USB protocol analyzer at my work to figure out what is going on. Not how I want to spend my time.

This has made me curious as to whether Kemper units have achieved USB compliance certification. I haven't seen Kemper use the USB compliance logo in any of their material.

Referring to the original post and my specific experience. I had a Godin Freeway SA with dual humbuckers. Always sounded thin and trebly. The mids were never right on that guitar. I have a 58 Reissue Les Paul that sounds fantastic - burstbuckers. I had a set of Fralin Humbuckers(pure PAFs if memory serves). I swapped those pickups in all possible combinations between those two guitars. The LP sounded great and essentially the same with all 3 pickup sets. The Godin sounded thin and trebly with all 3 sets. I acknowledge that this is one specific example, but I have had very similar experiences with many other guitars over the years. I am fully aware that my results may be considered anecdotal as I have not conducted an exhaustive experiment. My experience is based on a limited set of guitars and pickups. All of the pickups I have experience with are based on 'vintage' type humbucker and single coil designs. Nothing high gain or what I would call experimental. I realize that my opinion is not popular as there is a huge aftermarket pickup industry and plenty of guitarists willing to support it. YMMV

Adjusting the pickups is great advice. It can make a significant difference.

I'll offer a different opinion regarding pickups after spending a few decades swapping them. I came to the conclusion that pickup swaps aren't really worth it unless the pickup is broken or poorly made. For the most part, the majority of replacement pickups are a waste of money IMO. That being said, there are some specialized pickups with targeted qualities that will offer some significant tonal differences and noise advantages. But my view is that the most significant aspect of a guitar's tone is the scale length and wood. I have swapped a multitude of pickups through guitars that never sounded 'right' and not once has a pickup solved the problem. I'll get some popcorn... ;)

The low cut frequency isn't absolute. Mine changes from night to night depending on the other instruments and how the mix is sounding. I find 100Hz is where either the kick or bass should live. I don't want to be down there creating mud. I am still surprised at how high I can set the low cut and still be happy with the tone in context with the band. And the tone that I dial in for a gig will sound pathetic when auditioned at home by itself.

I should mention that none of this will actually be very effective if the other guitarist is hogging the low-end.

What kind of music are you playing? And just to be clear, what do you mean by cut?

To be honest, it sounds like the problem isn't you, but rather the other guitarist. I know from experience I can create a guitar sound, by hogging the frequency spectrum, that will make every other musician unhappy. It all comes down to having sensitivity to how all the instruments fit together and taking action to resolve the issues.

Every instrumentalist should 'get out of the way" for the soloist. I'm not aware of any accomplished, sensitive musicians that don't do this.

In my experience a low cut at 100Hz will not make the bass player happy and will likely sit on top of the kick as well. 175Hz is the minimum for me and sometimes I go as high as 250Hz. It depends on the other instruments and YMMV. Heck, my mileage may vary.

Here's an update from Kemper support:

Here is some additional information on what an unstable USB connection means: Rig Manager and Profiler exchange data using a USB connection from your computer to Profiler. Depending on the way your computer hardware and software is set up, data can be lost or damaged during the transmission. As a result, some actions don't work as expected. For instance, Rigs don't get deleted or synced.

In order to deal with this issue, you need to make sure that your USB connection works without issues.

Here are a couple of hints on how to deal with those types of issues:

- Use another USB port

- Avoid using a hub for Profiler which is shared with other USB devices

- Temporarily remove other USB devices and check if the issue persists

There is no general advice which always works. We've introduced the error message you're seeing as a result of frequent support inquiries which indicated USB related issues. The issue itself was present all the time. It is likely that the issue is related to the way your computer is setup.

With best regards, Marc

Kemper Amps Support Team

No mention of the files that they requested and that I sent. Interesting that support made no comment about them at all.

At this time, the response from support is not helpful. I responded with questions. I hope support will provide a more useful level of support moving forward on this issue.

That’s some pretty soft cut curves. But very “cab like” so i guess that’s a good thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cab like"? Cab frequency responses are typically not so well-behaved. Cab responses tend to have resonant peaks and even some comb filter response. These plots look like very typical 2nd order filters with 40db/decade rolloff. This is exactly what one would expect for cut filters. Thanks for the plots by the way.

I generally have two separate experiences.

1) I run my powered toaster through guitar cabs at home - no cab. Many times at home I'm playing along with a record to match tones. Often it sounds really good. Come back later and I don't like it one bit. In addition, anything I tweak that way sounds poor by itself, but this is common for a lot of us.

2) I use it with a guitar cab for live gigs. I tweak the live rigs like I would a tube amp and then set the hi and lo cuts for the room during sound check. This is reliable and I am always satisfied with the sound.

But my question is if anyone has any tips for EQ'ing in general - there are so many different options I'm getting a little bit of analysis paralysis:

• The amp EQ module
    • The cabinet module (High Shift, Low Shift, Character, Pure Cabinet)
    • The output section
      • Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence
      • Low Cut, High Cut
      • Pure Cabinet
      • Bass boost

That is a LOT of different place to tweak EQ.

I only use guitar cabs and I use quite a few of them. Some profiles simply have too much high end for me. This is especially true of gainier profiles like most Marshalls for instance. I don't use metal rigs so I am not speaking about that level of gain. So, I focus on low gain, clean rigs up through the type of gain needed for 60s - 70s rock. I always use the low cut at about 200Hz and high cut at about 7.5kHz. I run the B,M,T,P flat in the output section because I want some clean sparkle. I sometimes will adjust the rig treble and presence down for some higher gain profiles, but if that 'kills' the profile then I find a better profile. Definition is also where I will adjust, but that is mainly to compensate for single coils vs humbuckers. I have found many higher gain rigs, again no metal type gain, have too much high frequency rasp that I don't enjoy. I agree, there are a lot of places to tweak. Pure cab is set and forget for me. I don't use bass boost. I low cut to leave room for kick and bass anyway. Cab section is irrelevant in this case.

I would definitely trying substituting another USB lead and maybe a different port on the PC to make sure it is not a connection issue. Usually, if the software configuration is messed up then the KPA will not be recognised at all (until you do some uninstalls and clean out the various files in the OS and then reinstall RM). Some of these devices are pretty fussy when it comes to USB leads.

I've tried substituting cables multiple times. Bad cabling is not an issue on my side. USB is a known quantity and the USB certification process is rigorous. I don't know what you mean by fussy devices? As I mentioned, I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

I opened a ticket last night. Support responded this morning and requested that I send a few files. I've done that and am waiting to hear a response.

I am having the same issue. Windows 10, RM Version 3.2.72.17272, Release 8.7.1.36318.

Profiler is sometimes found by RM but the connection is is eventually lost within a few minutes. Multiple reboots of PC and Toaster, Windows updated, RM uninstalled/reinstalled, driver uninstalled/reinstalled. Nothing resolves the intermittent connection. This is a new 'feature' for me.