Posts by Edward Dixon

I feel like I opened up a can of worms and created more work for myself. Thanks for all the help but after working with this setup I went back to the AB switch. It seems that Send 2 will not allow me to select a source so the effects are not passing to the looper (not recorded in the looper).

But on the bright side, I learned a lot about the Kemper today.

Problem solved! Thanks to Wheresthedug

So, what I have now is Send 2 on the Kemper --> Trio+ input with the X effect slot set to effect loop triggered by the II stomp. I am not using the Return input on the Kemper. When II stomp is engaged the signal goes to the looper and does not go out the Main L/R outputs. When II stomp is off the signal only goes to the Main L/R. Exactly what I wanted.

Now I can go back to using the Guitar Out on the Trio+ to separate the guitar signal from the Bass and drums as ThrashFlesh suggested. That's the way I used it before I got the Kemper (less than a month ago).

Now I need to learn the best (quickest) way to assign that X effect slot to all Rigs.... damn this hole just gets deeper and deeper....

After posting the above I took a break and realized I used to have an amp switch (A/B - Both) that might do what I wanted. I haven't used that switch for probably 10 years. I found it, put a battery in and hooked it up and it works perfectly.

If there is a way to do this all in the Kemper without the A/B switch I'd still like to hear about it. Leaving the switch plugged in will run the battery in the switch down and it's just another thing to remember when shutting down the studio . I'll be looking for an A/B switch that doesn't use a battery until someone shows me how to set up the Kemper to do the same thing.

Hopefully this will be simple for someone here....

I have a Kemper Stage hooked up to a Trio+ in this manner; Guitar --> Kemper input --> send 1 on the Kemper --> input of Trio+. The Trio+ mixer output runs to the mixer. This works fine for using the looper, pretty simple because I am not trying to run the looper back into the Kemper like I have seen in other threads here . ( I don't use the headphone out on the Kemper)

The main outs on the Kemper run directly to the mixer. When I play the loop back and play a lead part along with the loop using a different profile, the signal from the Kemper is still going to the Trio+. So the signal is going to 3 mixer channels; not good at all. I am looking for a way to in effect "turn off send 1" when I play along with the loop and turn it back on when I record a new loop.

I thought I could (maybe) do this with some kind of simple footswitch. I am new to the Kemper so I have been reading the manual and searching the forum but have not found what I am looking for. Any help would be much appreciated.

Ed

My favorite amp for pedal steel guitar is a Quilter Steelaire. I can't believe nobody has profiled one for the Kemper. I'm new to Kemper so profiling my Steelaire is a few weeks away. I'm sure I will have many questions before that happens.

If anybody has profiled any Quilter amp or knows where I can find one, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Ed

Just started pedal steel last year. Looking for some Quilter profiles if anybody can point me to it. I've done a search for Quilter in All Rigs and nothing there,

I have a collection of Steel Amps that came with the Kemper but I'm looking for a good Quilter Steelaire profile.

I finally learned how to create the folders I need. I was trying to make folders where they don't belong. I found the computer icon in RM will let me add folders. Don't laugh, I'm only on day 13 of this journey.

Dude, this is what we are here for so always feel free to ask questions, especially easy ones so I can answer them :).

You can just move the rigs in the slots, it gives you the option to move left or right or you can move easily in rig manager.

Performances are mainly used for live and hence that's why I there is less reason to have a performance per song ( as in your case you are unlikely to change instrument 5 times during a song live). For organizing at home, sort of makes sense, but then navigating isn't as time precious as live.

I was referring to moving rigs in the browse mode, I can move the performance slots just fine.

RE: "live"

I am 72 and don't get around very well anymore and every second is precious. I understand what you're saying though, I wasn't always old (or ugly) and on-stage is the place nobody wants to be holding up the show. But thinking about it, I always play live, never played dead, but I might; who knows?

I just got my Kemper Stage 12 days ago so this discussion is just what I needed. I just loaded my 1st profile 2 days ago and organization was not at all clear as far as what I wanted to do. I still haven't figured out how to re-arrange the rigs in the Rig slots.

I'm looking at this from a couple of angles. I have about 20 guitars, including mandolin, banjo, Pedal steel, Baritone, and Dobro. So I want the best rig for each, of course. I could set up 20 performances, 1 per instrument. Then, I have found that in my later years that I can make more money and do less work recording than I can playing , so I invested in my recording studio about 15 years ago. So from the studio angle I want to save the exact settings used to record. That's where the per song performance use works for me. If I want to punch-in/out I want the same exact tone. I can also keep profiles sorted by artist.

I am thinking that the backup/restore function will allow me to eat my cake and have it too. All that and I don't have to clutter up the Kemper . To that end I have a 128G USB drive dedicated to the Kemper Stage.

8)

That's good to know. What about the .kpril ? where do those load. ?

I have tried to read the manual but I am old (72) and undergoing cataract surgery so reading is not a fun thing for me right now. I had one eye done and have another week or to before I get the other one done. I saw nothing about file formats in the manual. Maybe someone can point me to the online documentation that covers this topic. (please).

Thanks for the welcome. I really like the Kemper Stage and already gave away 3 Line6 units and an Avid Eleven Rack, I don't think I will regret that at all.

I just acquired a Kemper Profiler Stage and need to re-organize the profiles loaded on it. Most of the profiles on it are high gain and they all sound close to the same and I doubt I would ever use any of them.

I have downloaded more profiles and found some I CAN use but I ran into some that don't seem to import (as far as I can tell). I noticed at least 3 different file extensions .krig, .kpril and .kperformance (?). the .krig extensions load as expected. Are the others older formats that need to be converted or re-named? Are there others I haven't seen yet?

My plan is to backup the current contents then erase all contents and reload the ones I will use in an order that makes sense to me. I play multiple instruments so I will have a section for Guitar, Steel, Banjo Mandolin and Bass. The Guitar section will also be for multiple guitars, Strat, Tele, Taylor, Gretsch and so on (13 total). Before I can do that I need to know how to use these other formats because the Steel Amps are not in the .krig format (???).