Posts by jmitch1029

Wondering if Kemper offers a replacement screen lens for the kemper stage. Mine has seen its fair share of Gig use and cell phone falling onto the chassis, and it would be nice to replace it if the scratches become worse in the future.

Thanks very much for all of your support; the kemper community is the main reason I picked the stage over the other iPad shaped competitor, and you guys make it a joy to own these things.

I have a kemper Stage and I am wondering if the TS jacks on monitor outs and main outs (1/4" instrument jacks) are protected from 48V. My poor mans focus rite scarlettt doesn't allow me to switch individual channels of phantom power off. It does have the combination inputs however to accept XLR or 1/4. I fed it 1/4" for probably a combined 30hr across the span of a year, with this switch unintentionally left on.

Could you not literally build a cabinet, build a class d amp into it, and then route cables/wires (however that works, I've never done it) to your speakers of choice or Kemper Kones? Then you would just plug an IEC 3prong power cable into the Class D amp and you'd have guitar speakers to run into.

Im guessing something like that would only sound natural with Direct Profiles.

Ok been wondering how to get around this issue. Is there any other cab from a manufacturer that gets you the amp in room tone?

Or alternatively how hard would it be to load a cabinet with Kemper Kones in such a way that it works with the kemper stage. Either with or without a separate Class D power amp.

Just wanting to pick brains on people more familiar with FRFR cabs and their usage with unpowered kemper units.

I've posted before about a solution to the issue of rehearsing and live work where you need a loud, amp-like solution to the kemper if you're all in for the kemper as your main rig.

Anyone know if this cabinet would function with the Kemper Stage, and if the Kone Imprints will work with it?

Many thanks - JM

To second wheresthedug Kemper has essentially modeled those tone stacks for you and included them in the beta. Beyond those there is no way to create or model more tone stacks than the ones offered. Best bet is to pick one that is close to what you’re after.

In a nutshell: the liquid models are replacing the generic Kemper tone stack that has been present on the unit since day 1. The advantage is to give users a more realistic response when using those bass, mid, treb, presence, gain controls that you would find on the physical, profiled amplifier. So in essence putting a Bassman Tone stack on a profile of say, a Deville 410 would yield a bassman like response from a 410 profile. So until they add more tonestacks you could actually make some pretty cool profiles that sound like Frankenstein amps, or crosses of different amps, by mixing the modeled stacks with different profiles.

Hey, thanks all for all the suggestions/help/tech details! I got my amp back today and tried using the Power Amp In on the Deville since it is wired series and bypasses the preamp circuit.

I LOVE IT and it's what I'm shooting for in my rehearsal spaces! and it didn't cost me any extra money :)

Those of you who are more profile-savvy than me: what do you recommend as far as profile types for this setup? Right now I am running studio profiles with cabs off, but as many mentioned earlier in a studio profile the character of the microphone and cab can/are still somewhat present even when the cab block is disengaged.

Thanks in advance! Super happy with the results I'm getting even with studio profiles :)

I would like to see a more variable and dynamic approach to the rotary module. Could be so much more powerful. Having to mash the toe switch on my Morph pedal to speed it up and slow it down sucks. Would be nice if I could map it to my morph pedal

I have a Hot Rod deville too… so wondered if I plugged main out line into power amp in on a hot rod (this effects loop is wired in series, bypassing the preamp section and hitting a pair of 6L6 tubes) if that would work and not damage my amp?

I need to test it along with testing using the practice PA. Unfortunately the deville is in the shop for some issues I couldn’t repair myself. Just wondering if those 6L6’s and transformers, since they would typically be used for delays/rev/mod, would work as a “cabinet” solution since you’ve got a power amp section right there to plug into.

Holy crap Wheresthedug thank you. That was super helpful.

I’m going to try a few rehearsals into the PA and see what I think. If the PA situation doesn’t end up working well as I’m competing with directionality of real amps in that small-ish rehearsal room, If it was you would you make a bet on the Power Kabinet first or go that SSAmp route? Thanks!!

You guys all are super helpful and I appreciate you entertaining my detailed questions :)

2) PA's - every major gig you go to all the instruments go through the PA. They are separated because they operate different sonic ranges. Could you clash with the singer etc? Maybe but arguably you will do that anyway out a guitar cab. A crappy PA may struggle but you will be surprised, so try it....BUT use -12db and you need a cab on your profile ( direct will sound awful). Test your profiles with headphones first...If you play live you defiantly want to go through the PA ( as should the drums and bass). Any time you use just a vocal PA, the sound will be at best unbalanced but most likely crap, regardless of venue size.

Ah I had mostly been cranking master. I use studio patches if ever running direct. Didn’t understand use of direct patches.

I definitely am complicating things a bit when I need to just trust in the PA’s (they are very nice Live PA’s from Yamaha) to do their job and let the audio engineers do their jobs live. And do my job in designing usable and playable profiles that do not cloud up mixes. Thank you very much for your help!

Thank you Ruefus! I will experiment with it before giving up on it just yet. Maybe I’ll develop a little trust with the sound engineers too… 😄

Many thanks to the three of you.

Any resources explaining difference in merged vs studio vs direct, or can you explain it here?

Also, if I go out into solid state power amp, that’s all I need to power a cab? No tube or ox box type situation?

About the Kabinet… I think you may get to use a different version if you have the powered Kemper toaster. For Stage I have to use a 200W power version with a power amp within the unit. If it’s the same thing as you described as far as volume in your experience I may look at it. But everything I’ve seen about the active one has claimed even with the power boost control which I knew of, it was still on the edge.

It may end up being what I go with. Because you guys are absolutely right about all that gear and teardown. I’d be talking a full 1x12 or 2x10 cab, guitar, pedalboard with kemper on it… I’d be dead by the end of the day

Sorry I didn’t really articulate well.

I meant using an Ox box or similar Class D amp/attenuator to power an unpowered traditional cabinet to retain the feel and sound of an amplifier in a room, using kemper direct profiles with internal cabinets off.

I haven’t tried PA in rehearsal because:

1) when I’m in a PA I am afraid I am covering up the vocalists to compete for volume with the drummer and another guitarist who is using a physical amp.

If you run PA how do you get around this issues? I’m a young guy and I am learning these systems and general practical music/life skills. I’m also trying not to step on any toes

I also recognize the issue I’m describing may not be my own and could be the malpractice of others around me not playing at an appropriate volume. Or my own self playing too loudly over singers. Overall it’s very balanced, and I am learning. I’m not someone to intentionally play over musicians and I do my best to play with musical sense, so maybe it’s an EQ issue.

I am basically looking to get the warm amp-in-room boomy sound that the physical amps are getting in an effort to keep with them and not stick out. I am obviously aware that kemper is not designed with this in mind and is meant to purely replicate miked amp into cab signal chains, or a direct profile to later be fed into a physical amp using a Powered Kemper unit. I’m looking for a workaround to get a similar experience that you’d find on a powered kemper, but by using a Kemper Stage.

Ultimately, i will get the best results out of the kemper running direct into the PA always. But just trying to see if there’s a better way.

Both of those are very valid and true points. Whole idea of kemper is to do away with so much gear to carry around and maintain in favor of a direct solution. However I am finding at least in my current stage of life and playing that I often end up using the kemper stage as more of a pedalboard than anything else.

I’m a college student and I am often in and out of rehearsals in dry rooms where we are only using a PA for microphones and keyboards. In these times the kemper becomes a pedalboard and loop for my auxiliary drives I’ve added onto my board to supplement what kemper offers. I then use the kemper for a clean boost, or any delay/rev/mod/eq/comp into the face of an amp, so I miss out on my profiles I spend so much time designing for scenarios, since those amps are redundant when going into the face of another amplifier.

I looked at the kemper powered cab but everything I’ve seen shows it getting ruthlessly overpowered by a drum kit. Our drummer is heavy handed so that definitely won’t work. I am just looking for a solution where I can use the direct profiles with the rig I currently have without getting a whole new kemper, remote, and cabinet, and reconfiguring a board around it