Using Kemper Stage to Power an external Cabinet

• If it was you would you make a bet on the Power Kabinet first or go that SSAmp route? Thanks!!

Not sure. The separate SS amp is more flexible though as you can use it with a Passive Kabinet OR a regular guitar cab. Whereas the Powered Kabinet won’t drive a guitar cab but it is totally self contained.

You guys all are super helpful and I appreciate you entertaining my detailed questions :)

You’re most welcome. I’m sure you will get something that works for you no problem. There are a lot of really helpful people around here 😎

• For a Stage - the Power Kab is the logical choice. Essentially purpose built and lets you pick the speaker imprint you prefer. Stage, Kabinet....done.

If you have an amp and favored guitar cabinet - that's fine as well. You may be able to save on just a power amp if money is a concern.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I have a Hot Rod deville too… so wondered if I plugged main out line into power amp in on a hot rod (this effects loop is wired in series, bypassing the preamp section and hitting a pair of 6L6 tubes) if that would work and not damage my amp?

I need to test it along with testing using the practice PA. Unfortunately the deville is in the shop for some issues I couldn’t repair myself. Just wondering if those 6L6’s and transformers, since they would typically be used for delays/rev/mod, would work as a “cabinet” solution since you’ve got a power amp section right there to plug into.

• I have a Hot Rod deville too… so wondered if I plugged main out line into power amp in on a hot rod (this effects loop is wired in series, bypassing the preamp section and hitting a pair of 6L6 tubes) if that would work and not damage my amp?

I need to test it along with testing using the practice PA. Unfortunately the deville is in the shop for some issues I couldn’t repair myself. Just wondering if those 6L6’s and transformers, since they would typically be used for delays/rev/mod, would work as a “cabinet” solution since you’ve got a power amp section right there to plug into.

Yes that would,work and wouldn’t harm anything.

The valve power amp will add some of its own “character” on top of the profile which will be less “authentic” but s0me people really like it so you have nothing to lose in trying it.

• Yes that would,work and wouldn’t harm anything.

The valve power amp will add some of its own “character” on top of the profile which will be less “authentic” but s0me people really like it so you have nothing to lose in trying it.

I agree - its cheap way to test but I believe the simpler the better. For exmaple you would typically use the clean channel to amplify, which is fine at lower volume, but as you turn it up you will gte added distortion. This variation can be either postivev or negative but brings a level of unpredictability, hence why a solid state amp is better.

SS vs kabinet? SS amp gives you more flexibility ( less risky as you can change cabs easily and cabs have the biggest impact on your sound) but Kabinet is compact, simple and IMHO sounds brilliant - but not everyone loves them....

• I agree - its cheap way to test but I believe the simpler the better. For exmaple you would typically use the clean channel to amplify, which is fine at lower volume, but as you turn it up you will gte added distortion. This variation can be either postivev or negative but brings a level of unpredictability, hence why a solid state amp is better.

SS vs kabinet? SS amp gives you more flexibility ( less risky as you can change cabs easily and cabs have the biggest impact on your sound) but Kabinet is compact, simple and IMHO sounds brilliant - but not everyone loves them....

Sorry just read read that - it was more meant for further info for the OP and realized it sounds more like a rebuttle to you - I also fully agree with you dude!

• I recently bought a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 for my Kemper Stage at festivals. Running that straight into the supplied 4x12 backline. The Powerstage is only mono in and 2 speaker outs. I just set the monitor out on the Kemper to Master Mono. All works fine.

• I recently bought a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 for my Kemper Stage at festivals. Running that straight into the supplied 4x12 backline. The Powerstage is only mono in and 2 speaker outs. I just set the monitor out on the Kemper to Master Mono. All works fine.

Its why I went with the power rack to avoid the additional need for a power amp and just plug straight into any cab, but its great there are so many options...Im tempted with a stage because of the form factor...

• Its why I went with the power rack to avoid the additional need for a power amp and just plug straight into any cab, but its great there are so many options...Im tempted with a stage because of the form factor...

Yes, the form factor of the Stage is brilliant.

I weighed up the Power Rack Kemper myself but I just didn’t like the look of that flimsy Ethernet out. It’s always an accident waiting to happen.

Then, the workaround with a back rack panel and injector brought a wall wart power supply into the equation.

Wish they would just put a Neitrik ethercon on the back of the rack version.

Still need to send you the SLO profiles Guy.

• Yes, the form factor of the Stage is brilliant.

I weighed up the Power Rack Kemper myself but I just didn’t like the look of that flimsy Ethernet out. It’s always an accident waiting to happen.

Then, the workaround with a back rack panel and injector brought a wall wart power supply into the equation.

Wish they would just put a Neitrik ethercon on the back of the rack version.

Still need to send you the SLO profiles Guy.

Yeah that would have made sense. I did put a panel in with a neutrik ethercon after my port failed ( to be fair after 8 years) :) so sort of sorted it.

Yes I'd love those profiles and we need a beer!

BTW do those profiles also include your playing talent or is that extra?

• Yeah that would have made sense. I did put a panel in with a neutrik ethercon after my port failed ( to be fair after 8 years) :) so sort of sorted it.

Yes I'd love those profiles and we need a beer!

BTW do those profiles also include your playing talent or is that extra?

Yes, will sort that beer out soon mate as well as the profiles. 😊🎸😊

• Hey, thanks all for all the suggestions/help/tech details! I got my amp back today and tried using the Power Amp In on the Deville since it is wired series and bypasses the preamp circuit.

I LOVE IT and it's what I'm shooting for in my rehearsal spaces! and it didn't cost me any extra money :)

Those of you who are more profile-savvy than me: what do you recommend as far as profile types for this setup? Right now I am running studio profiles with cabs off, but as many mentioned earlier in a studio profile the character of the microphone and cab can/are still somewhat present even when the cab block is disengaged.

Thanks in advance! Super happy with the results I'm getting even with studio profiles :)

• Some people ( including me) still prefer studio profiles despite them retaining remnants of the cab and mike...btw, don't disengage the cab block, use the monitor cab switch...this switches cab off for monitor but leaves it on for the main out ( for when you send a direct signal to the PA) - someone verify this as I have a power rack...

TBH there are no rules, if you love the sound then that is totally valid.

Glad you are making progress!!