Posts by timowens

Hi Guys, I'm still around. Life has been crazy the last few months so I haven't had as much time to make profiles and play music. But I sure appreciate all the kind words. I had a blast doing this project and I sure learned a lot in the process. I ordered a new 212 cab and I've been working on my mic preamp so I'm looking forward to trying some more profiles soon.

In the mean time, check out this thread, JerEvil is getting ready to do a killer profiling session, I'm really looking forward to the results. BIG Splawn Quick Rod Profiling Session Coming Up!

Wow, that really sounds like a great session you have lined up.

My only advice is to log everything that you do for each profile including what the engineer does. Log every little detail that you can think of and take lots of pictures.

And pick the engineers brain as much as you can :)

Good luck, I'm really looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Oh, sorry. Are you talking about "creating" a merged cab? If a cab is not derived from a "merging" you won't be able to "merge" it anyway?

:S

I just tested this and I stand corrected, with the latest firmware you can only merge a cab once, has this changed in one of the latest firmware updates? I seem to remember being able to merge a cab multiple times but maybe I'm crazy :D

However, to address your reply, you can merge a cab from any studio profile into any DA profile as long as the cab hasn't been merged already. So we are both wrong :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

@ckemper Has anyone ever proven that a Merged Profile sounds different than the respective Studio Profile or are people just saying that? In my experience it works perfectly, the only time I have had problems it was due to user error. I really hope that you continue to support this feature, I think it would be helpful if you could only merge a cabinet once and if all Merged Cabs and Merged Profiles had a tag automatically burnt into them during the merging process so you could easily tell which are merged cabs and profiles.

My apologies if I misunderstood your post :D

I guess commercial vendors must have good di boxes
    IIRC Andy, Mbritt, Armin and Guido have stated that studio profiles sounded better

I think that sometimes it's best to try something for yourself so that you can draw your own conclusions. If you don't have the means to do this then here is the test recording that I did whenever the test firmware was released. As stated, this was done with the early test version of the firmware, it was my first Direct Amp/Merged profile test run. Here is what you are hearing, not in the correct order, can you tell me which one is which?

Looper-->KPA (merged profile with cab disabled) -->QSC Power-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->KPA (full profile) -->DAW
    Looper-->Amp-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->KPA (DI Profile) -->QSC Power-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->(new merged profile) -->DAW

">

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://<iframe width=&quot;100%&quot; height=&quot;450&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot; frameborder=&quot;no&quot; src=&quot;https://w.soundcloud.com/playe…alse&amp;visual=true&quot;></iframe>

Here is a WAV file if you want to hear the uncompressed version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf1l5jnz4r8x9ea/Test New KPA Firmware.wav?dl=0

@ckemper On a side note, many commercial vendors won't sell Merged profiles, because they say Studio profiles sound better. Are they doing something wrong? (I haven't tried myself) I'd love to have your opinion, CK!
    Thanks
    Matt

I have also heard this and I don't agree, I have made quite a few merged profiles and they work just fine. I did a test recording back when the test version was released, I used a looper to play back a guitar riff and recorded the studio profile, the merged profile, the DA profile into the guitar cab and the actual amp into the guitar cab and they were all incredibly close, I could hear a very slight difference between them but I couldn't tell which was which. In other words, if I didn't do a test recording I couldn't tell that there was any difference at all.

I think there are two potential or common problems with making merged profiles, one is that there are a few steps involved and it is easy to make a mistake especially if you are making a bunch of profiles at the same time, I've had to redo a few profiles because I made mistakes. Second is that making DA profiles requires a good quality DI interface, if your interface isn't good quality then the DA profiles won't be accurate.

I've owned a lot of modelers, everything from the Boss GT-3 to the Axe II and my Kemper Rack is my #1 rig. But to be honest I have been trying some modelers again lately looking for an all-in-one floorboard unit but nothing has been able to make me switch yet. I'm even on the wait list for the AX8 and I've been following the new Line 6 Helix. It sure would save me a lot of time and money if Kemper would just tell us that they are planning on releasing a floorboard model, I don't care if it's a stripped down version without profiling capabilities because I'll keep my KPA Rack for that, I just want a floorboard model.

I have done a few tests with my amps, with one amp there is hardly any difference in tone until I get to about 9 on the master volume, on another amp the tone starts changing at about 3 on the master volume. So I would say that each amp will be different in this regard.

If you are making DA profiles you might look at getting a good reactive load. I have a home made reactive load that I modeled after my Legacy 412 cab with V30's and it's really close, when I did an A/B test recording I could hear a very slight difference but it's so close that I couldn't tell any difference without doing the test recording. And it is really nice making profiles with zero room noise :)

If you want to make studio profiles, get something like a Torpedo CAB, make an IR of your cab and then use the reactive load and the Torpedo CAB for totally quiet profiling. I've messed around with this but I haven't decided if it works as good as simply profiling with a speaker cab and mic, but it is a lot more fun because unless you have a really isolated room for the speaker cab you will still hear it while comparing the profile to the amp and that really messes with your ears.

I really like the Mission EP1-R, I got it with the spring so the pedal stays in the heel down position until I step on it. I have it setup so the Wah automatically turns on when I move the pedal and automatically turns off when I release it. I've had it for several years and have used it with other gear and it has never failed me.

I don't know the first thing about Kemper's business model, ROI, or anything else for that matter. All I know is that other manufacturers have done this for many years, they've sold both a floorboard version and a rack version of the same product and the rack version usually cost more. I'm pretty sure that Kemper can also do this and still make a profit :D