Posts by Burkhard

The new Master Volume screen reflecting the individual output volumes for Main Output, Monitor Output, Direct Output, Headphone Output, SPDIF has been introduced to hopefully avoid the misunderstanding of your first paragraph:

The 0-10 scale of Master Volume had never been absolute - consequently not in dB - and yes, it's completely normal, that your Profiler is quieter at 8 than another at 3! The volumes of the outputs linked to Master Volume can all be at different levels and those are relevant.

If you both are owning powered Profilers you need to compare Monitor Output Volume and Power Amp Boost, both in dB. Other factors could be the level of Volume Pedal or the resistance of your cabinets. Perhaps one is running at 4 and the other at 16 Ohm.

Keeping just the Rigs on your Profiler that you really want to play and maintaining the big Rig collection in Rig Manager makes a lot of sense. It's a best practice and not just a workaround.

The Profiler offers Tags, Views like My Rigs, Favorites, Just Bass and different sort criteria like by Name, by creation Date, by Gain. So instead of putting an asterisk in front of every clean Rig you could simply sort by gain and the clean Rigs get in front regardless of their name. At that time the higain Rigs are automatically at the end and the crunch Rigs are in the middle, if that is the way you are typically searching sounds. You can also combine and limit your View to just your Favorites and sort those by gain. Then you might end up with perhaps 30 Rigs in gain order. That should be feasible.

Theoretically one could store up to 1000 Rigs in the Profiler's Browse Pool. But we really don't recommend that and I don't see how we could enhance the Profiler's user interface to make dealing with that many Rigs funny and effective. This is really the domain of Rig Manager.

The Return is not a regular guitar input. The Alternative In could be used as such. But the Front Input has always the right of way, even if the Alternative In is selected as the Input Source. So you would need to unplug the TS-jack from the Front Input to make the Alternative In work in its capacity as guitar input. Not very practical.

An AB-switch is the way to go. The Morley is simple and cheap. For example Lehle offers better quality and sophistication. Lehle switches can be controlled via MIDI. If you have set up Performances corresponding to your songs, you could assign MIDI program changes by Slot. When you then load the first Slot of that Performance, this would trigger the Lehle to activate the appropriate guitar.

So if i need to adjust a level of volume from Powered KPA > speak out > Guitar Cabinet, should i use the master volume or the monitor output ? i felt that when adjusting the monitor output, the sound gets more body to it

It depends which other output volumes are linked to Master Volume and which outputs matter in your case.

If your Main Output is connected to a mixing desk and also linked to Master Volume, raising Master Volume will increase volume of both: your guitar cab on stage plus the incoming signal at the mixing desk. If that isn't your intend, either just increase Monitor Volume instead of Master Volume OR unlink the Main Out Volume from Master Volume. If the Speaker Output is the only output you currently use, it doesn't matter if you are increasing Monitor Volume specifically OR use Master Volume to increase Monitor Volume. Soundwise there is no difference.

If you are using a current operating system, while you dial Master Volume a graphic comes up which shows the individual output volumes in dB. You see which output volume follows (linked) and which doesn't (not linked) and how their relative levels are maintained.

Master Volume itself doesn't follow a dB scale as it could control multiple outputs linked to it simultaneously - each at a different level. And Master Volume is maintaining those different levels. Only the individual output volumes e. g. Main Output Volume follow a dB scale.

I don't understand why during the analog reamping you used the front input!? There are two dedicated Input Sources for reamping:
    for analog it's Return Input Reamp and for S/PDIF its S/PDIF Input Reamp.
    As soon as you select one of those Input Sources you can use Reamp Sens. Distortion Sens has a different purpose.

The Reference Manual includes a dedicated chapter about Reamping and step by step instructions. Why are you deviating from those and trying to reinvent reamping?

Can be achieved by connecting an analog momentary dual switch like the Profiler 2-way Switch to the Profiler directly and assigning the functions "Rig up" and "Rig down". This way you can move through the Slots in Performance Mode in a linear fashion. Disabled Slots will be skipped automatically.

I should add that I tried to go in the effect loop return of a Twin and a JC-120 before and it never worked: maybe I did something wrong or was in a hurry but I always ended up plugging in the input and the results were pretty bad. If the venue is small and the amp provided is a combo, I'd rather go old school.

Some amplifier's effect returns only work, while something is plugged into its effect send. So just plugging a loose TS jack into the effect send could make a difference.

Regarding "...back then there was no Master Output EQ ...."

As far as I remember - and I checked our change logs - Monitor Output EQ and Main Output EQ were never added. These features exist since the initial release of the Profiler. These were never called "Master Output EQ" as these are associated with the physical outputs, which are called Main Output and Monitor Output.

The answer is: Not at all. The Remote is no MIDI controller.

What you could do: With every Slot that gets loaded in Performance Mode up to two MIDI program changes can be sent to up to two external devices. It doesn't matter how the Slot gets loaded: with Remote, with analog switches, manually or via MIDI. So, this is really a Profiler capability. If your Line 6 HX can receive MIDI program changes to load its presets, that's what you could do. Details about sending MIDI can be found in the Reference Manual chapter "MIDI".

The answer is no.

You need to feed the microphone signal into the Return of the Profiler. Have you consulted the Profiling Guide? It includes graphics. S/PDIF is nowhere mentioned there.

If you want to use a condenser mike you need to put a device in between, which provides phantom power e. g. a mixing desk, but the signal needs to be fed into the Profiler's Return and nothing else.

As a ground rule: If the power amp is switched on or off has absolutely no impact on any other line level output signal.

Exception: Monitor Out, if Power Amp Boost is <> 0. Power Amp Boost influences the Monitor Output signal, but only while the power amp is switched on. Remember: The Monitor Output signal is shared and also used to feed the internal power amp. Those two are linked together. However there is no need to feed the PA from the Monitor Output. The Main Output XLR is the better choice anyhow.

Yes, good plan, and you could delete Presets, which are meaningless for you. The Profiler gets delivered with examples, but you are free to create you shortlist of meaningful Presets.