Posts by ckemper

Let me tell you what my plan for the boost is:
    I like not to create too many paradigms.
    A boost should be tied to a stomp box, and not be an extra funtion.
    Every stomp box has a volume parameter that penetrates the gain of the following amp, as you know.
    The pure booster is even neutral to the sound and only performs this boost.
    What it cannot do is boost the gain of the amp and boost the volume at the same time.

I want to add a simple "Master Boost" parameter for every stomp box in the STOMPS section (You wouldn't need this in the EFFECTS section).
    This lets the output volume boost whenever this stomp is engaged.
    It will save an additional boost effect in the effect section.

In the end you can perform three different things by pressing one button: Engage a distortion pedal with its own sound character, boost the distortion gain and boost the volume.
    If you lock that stomp then you have your ever present boost button.

If you want more than that (Delay parameters), you should really go for a second rig.

CK

Buttons for boost and fx-loop would be really nice!

+1 for them

I like the boost button idea, we've been discussing it since a long time.

Question is: what is the boost?
    1. Engaging a distortion stomp
    2. Amp gain increase
    3. Overall Volume boost
    4. A combination of 1, 2, 3, or even all

How would you assign this to a boost button? Looks a bit complicated. We want easy solutions.

You might have overlooked that we have a midi implemenation for pedals already.

And you are right, we invite everybody to use the pedal that fits the best, especially if other equipment is to be controlled aside from the KPA. Many users do that already.

I don't see remote pedals as our core business, this is why we want to keep it small, simple proprietary, thus affordable. Saying that, we have no initial plans to support programming of generic midi messages for other devices, as that is the focus of the great generic pedals.

It would be great if some other companies that focus on remote pedals would make a pedal fit for digital amps with bidirectional communication, to show proprietary display contents such as tuner or rig name.
    I guess some amp companies would collaborate.
    If that was the case I would probably step back from making our own pedal, cause there is more to do.

But I have got no call from another company.
    I wonder why nobody has started a business for a next generation remote pedals yet. It's not rocket sience.

CK

Some things to be mentioned about volume:

The rig volume (bottom row) is made for adjusting relative volume differences between rigs for your performance. In general it should be placed on or around the middle position (unity volume).
    If you do that, you should rarely see a red output LED.

We have put weeks of work into the Profiler for creating a constant volume situation.
    One aspect of this is that the volume is automatically finetuned during the profiling process.
    But this cannot be done 100% perfectly, because a perceived volume is not necessarily equal to a measured energy.
    One result was, that profiles with a large low frequency responce gets softer and must be manually adjusted.
    We changed that behaviour significantly in version 1.08. Now the bass responce gets less weight in the leveling process. (This does not influence the sound of a profile, only its pure volume).

As some of you stated, the sound (here the frequency spectrum) of your guitar will also have an impact on the percieved volume. A Strat single coil will deliver totally different results than a humbucker on a 7 string. This can not be anticipated or calculated.

Last but not least the.most important:
    The output volume of your guitar. The levels of the guitars in our company differ by more than 20 dB. That's more than a lot.
    Clean sound fully depend on the volume of your guitar (unless you use a compressor) while high gain sounds are mostly constant due to the compression aspect of the distortion.
    This is why it' mandatory to tell the Profiler about the volume of your guitar by adjusting the Clean Sense parameter in the Input menu.

Please read the respective chapter in the Base Manual.

If you set the Clean Sense parameter correctly for your guitar, so that clean an distorted sounds have the same energy for your ear, you have the perfect setting for your guitar:
    - Only minor volume differences between different rigs
    - No red LED on input or output.

I hope that will answer the request for an automatic leveling:
    It is there! Done by the machine during the profiling process, and later modified by you with the target guitar, your ear and a simple tweak of a knob.

CK

I find I have to turn almost every rig's Cab volume down to -2.0 to avoid the red output warning light, but then again I use more bass than most folks.

When Rig Volume is at middle position, and it's not a clean sound, you should have a hard time to get the red output light.
    What is the situation?

Proprietary means, that the board will not have its own power supply.
    This will save significant costs.
    Also we don't want to have this pedal selfcontained, with all kinds of midi functions. At least not initially.
    If we add generic midi functions, they can be sent thru the Profilers Midi Out.
    We can avoid a complicated programing method on the device itself.

There is so many fantastic generic pedals on the market. We don't want to compete with them.

We have no further report of volume dropped. So we are not working on any issue.
    It is quite unlikely that the volume drops by sudden, and stays there even after a reset.

For me The spdiff levels are way way too hot with rig volume on no 2 its ok but anything louder and it clips from the kemper thats on every profile without exception i have been able to compensate by lowering the spdif levels on my sound card but not everyone has this choice with their soundcard. Please Christoph put the spdiff volume level on the master volume again i cannot understand why you removed this crucial feature?

Got to ask you too:
    Where does the clipping occur?
    If you have something clipping by SPDIF, the is something wrong with the setup after the KPA.

I am using a guitar amp head as a power amp. I bring the Kemper signal into the RETURN of the FX loop on the amp and then on into a cabinet. It sounds great, but the volume is only controllable on the Kemper. If the output volume is reduced by 6 DB, I will probably be forced to use something else for live performances. ?(

Why? Are you working on maximum level?
    No master volume control on the head for extra volume?

This is a bit confusing.
    Where do the profiles clip? In the KPA or on your DAW?
    The Master Volume has no effect on the level LED.

Yes, it's easy.
    Please check the Clean Sense parameter in the input section. It has an impact on the pure input gain, while not changing the gain of distorted sounds.