Posts by ckemper

What input of your soundcard do you use?
    Is there a High Z input available?

I want to follow up on this thread.
    First of all: thank you all for your opinions and proposals.

The free space on the left top corner was indeed reservated for a Looper button.

I could also imagine a more compact layout with five buttons per row only, as some of you proposed.
    The looper function could be engaged by holding one of the bank buttons or the tuner button this case.

Another drawback of the five button design is that the bank buttons had to go to the third row.
    But maybe that is a convenient compromise concerning the smaller size.

The position of the display is variable, it could sit in the middle but maybe better on the left side.
    And for sure the display will show rig names, tuner etc.

Please give me some opinions for the following questions. The questions do not depend in each other.

Would you like
    - The six button design (bank buttons second row) or five button design (bank buttons third row)?
    - The bank buttons left aligned or right aligned? (Some might like to use the left food while playing cause you don't move the guitar by your left leg)
    - The rig buttons or the effect buttons on the lowest row?

Thanks for your answers!

CK

- becasue real amps are very random, these things are very hard to emulate, and the KPA doesnt really profile its sag, or bias, or the push value from the tubes, it doesnt care if its ClassA or FET so it wont behave the same once profiled.

???

Well I've just got done profiling the full rig and the results have been OUTSTANDING. :thumbup:
    I'm definitely keeping the unit as it's just amazing at nailing full setups.

Preamp-only produces an abundance of frequencies across the entire range so maybe as Bill put it the Kemper isn't tuned or designed to handle the full spectrum?

No.
    Many users have made perfect preamp profiles.
    Let me ask you again what firmware version you are on.

You are probably hearing to the Noise coming from the instrument input electronics and AD converter.

We have given the Profiler a very high gain range, higher than on most tube amps and other modelers.
    This is why you can amplify the background noise much higher. This must be filtered with a noise gate as well as noise and hum from the guitar.

We will have improvements to the noise gate in the next firmware versions.

One comment about high gain sounds:
    Most professional metal guitarists don't play at maximum gain, to allow some dynamics.

CK

The profiling process will not add hiss. But the hiss or hum coming from the reference amp is recorded and kept during the A/B comparison, to make the comparison fair.
    Once you save the profile or switch to browser mode the recorded hiss is thrown away. This does not change the profile.

Do you still hear hiss when you turn the noise gate all the way down (in Browse mode)?

I guess the Kemper somehow showed me the reference amp as the profiled amp (a bug?) because revisiting the saved profile again today it's at the 75% I heard before. I've since spent another 2 hours re-profiling and I just can't improve on it no matter how long I refine or what I play. It sounds pretty much exactly how my amp sim + ozone match eq profile did. With the Quad the notes sound glued and held together, rounded and smooth, the Kemper profile's mids are fizzy and *shroud* the notes, it doesn't come close enough to the tight ball of sound the Quad throws out. This isn't an issue with my preamp either as I've also tried profiling my Engl Fireball with similar results. I'm looking for reasons not to return it but it's looking like I'll have to, I bought it for recording purposes only and it's just not delivering the goods. It's a shame cause it's a cool unit and the full rigs are fun to play with but for what I'm using it for it's essentially Ozone's match eq in a box.

What firmware version are you on?

Have you made profiles with cabinet using the same amps?
    Did it work?

How do you listen to the A/B?
    Thru the Monitor output?

Let's forget the ground loop thing..I have no ground loop there so..did you listen to the file I posted ?? Hiss is slightly higher in the profile than in the original..Some posted rigs do have way too much hiss than in the real world too ..of course you need to cut the gate to hear it ..

thanks

I have listened to that. Never had this. Is this difference always?
    Anyway, you will have noticed that the noise disappears when you stor the profile or go to browse mode.
    Any noise that comes from a stored rig has nothing to do with the noise that you have recorded

Do you know what the ground switches are for ? ground loops ..ground loops and hiss are absolutely not related ;)

But yes, they are!
    Cutting ground loops by the switches can prevent hum AND hiss.

The profiling process will not add hiss. But the hiss is recorded and kept during the A/B comparison, to make it fair.
    Once you save the profile or switch to browser mode the recorded hiss is thrown away.

And the midi section is very poor and not working properly...
    I'm a professional musician from Italy and tomorrow I have the first date of my main summer tour... I'll try to do it with the KPA, but I'm not sure I will resist the whole summer with midi problems (i.e. TAP midi doesn't work).

There are a lot of things to do... Hope they're working hard on that. ;)

Tell me what midi functions you miss.
    The Tap works of course.
    Please assure that your Tap button sends a key off event.